Help modifying Xans voice in a megamod?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 -jezz-

-jezz-

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:04 PM

Ok so I made a mistake in my megamod install. I think it belongs in this forum because it's more about modifying megamod than the original mod.

I accidentally let BWS install "Xans BG2 voice in BG1" (which takes xans mod voice and replaces the original bg1 voice with that) and before realizing this I installed (by hand, later) "Xans BG1 voice in BG2" (which takes the original bg1 voice and replaces the bg2 mod sounds with that)...

So now, Xan in BG1, supposedly has mod voice and the mod has original voice. I intended the original voice for both. How can I fix this?

Can I just paste Xans original lines in the override somehow? And how would I do that? I can navigate Near Infinity pretty well but I don't know how the mod did things so I don't know what to replace etc,

Can someone advice me?

#2 -jezz-

-jezz-

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:24 PM

This is the log:

Spoiler

So, can I just take Xans original voice files and name them "O#BG2X03.wav" and etc and put them in the override to fix this?

And, where can I find his original files? What are they called?

#3 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:53 PM

Use Near Infinity on your BG1 game to extract XANNN01.wav through XANNN41.wav into your BG2 override folder.  That will take care of restoring the original sound files.

Additionally, the script O#BG2XF.BCS needs to be modified to point to Xan's original string references instead of the new ones added by the voice mod.  That script runs when you select Xan and press the 'K' key.

Edit: I've attached a modified version of the script that will restore the original sound references if you drop it in your override, select Xan in the game and press 'K'. But you still need to extract and replace the WAV files.

Attached Files

Edited by agb1, 06 February 2016 - 07:37 PM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#4 -jezz-

-jezz-

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for helping me!

I already have XANNN01.wav through XANNN41.wav in my bg2 game though. I can see them in NI and they are in BGTWAV.bif. If I listen to them in NI, they are correctly his original voice. So, the mod never did anything to these files I suppose. I think it just re-pointed his sounds to O#BG2X03.wav through O#BG2X43.wav.

But how will that bcs file help? Are you saying I need to press K on him in every new game I make? If so, wouldn't it be better if I just override O#BG2X03.wav through O#BG2X43.wav with his original files or am I missing something?

#5 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:21 AM

The mod patches each copy of Xan to use different string references for his sound set (what he says when selected, battle cries, etc.).

The script is part of the mod.  It is meant to ensure that the new sounds are used.  I changed it to use the old sounds instead.

Yes, you will have to select Xan and press 'K' once per game.

There is not a perfect correspondence between the old and new sound files, so just replacing the O# wav files would not be enough to restore all original sounds.  In particular, the mod assigns some new sounds to Xan that had no original equivalents.

Edited by agb1, 07 February 2016 - 10:33 AM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#6 -jezz-

-jezz-

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:08 AM

Thanks for helping me. I really appreciate it. I know you gave me an easy way out with your file so thank you very much for that but I do want to experiment a little to get rid of this mods effect more permanently. Please bare with me here ok I'm trying to learn a bit about the inner workings of BG.

I was thinking that what happens if I remove his additional battle cries and such things that this mod added with NI. Will I ruin my game then?

I have already exported his original sounds to wavs and renamed them by ear to properly override his new mod voice. That was easy. It's his additional battle cries etc which are the problem. I see them clearly in NI I just don't know if it's safe to delete them. Otherwise I guess I could just override the additional wavs with silent ones, but I would prefer to just remove them so the additional subtitles won't show.

#7 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:39 AM

If you set the string references to -1 then they should be skipped by the game.

Remember that creature files are copied into the savegame so this change will only take effect before you first encounter Xan.  Also, there are multiple copies of Xan - xan.cre, xan4.cre etc.

Edited by agb1, 09 February 2016 - 05:41 AM.

#8 -jezz-

-jezz-

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:57 AM

I'm really new at this. When you say "set the string references to -1" do you mean I should change the "stringref: xxxxxx" into "stringref: -1" in this field: http://i.imgur.com/L4GWCGS.jpg

Or should I change the content? Like replace "We stand no chance." with "-1"?

#9 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:31 AM

I'm really new at this. When you say "set the string references to -1" do you mean I should change the "stringref: xxxxxx" into "stringref: -1" in this field: http://i.imgur.com/L4GWCGS.jpg

Yes.

Or should I change the content? Like replace "We stand no chance." with "-1"?

No.

#10 -jezz-

-jezz-

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:46 PM

Ok thanks to your help I have now reverted this mod completely and all is well.

I must say, I have lurked here for many years and it seemed the megamodding community was slowly dying recently. But you have really revived this forum section again agb1, helping people left and right and improving and innovating the BWS etc. I just wanted to say thanks for your efforts.

#11 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for saying that. Syvishtar's Journal is what inspired me to come back to Baldur's Gate and start playing with mods again, and figuring out how it all works has been surprisingly fun.