Photo

BGII SoA not starting

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 CaptEHCJ

CaptEHCJ
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:47 PM

Playing through a BiG World Standard build.  Just finished BG1 playthrough.  I go talk to guy in castle and BG1 ends.  After watching the movie (which I cannot skip - weird), I am in the irenicus dungeon.  He taunts me, visitors show up, he leaves to deal with them.  Then it stops.  Imoen does not come out and unlock my cage, my character never becomes activateable.  Its just stuck.  Have run through the process several times.  Note that I am doing a solo playthrough - just Charname, no others. 

Any ideas how to get BG2 started? 

Thanks!

CaptEHCJ

#2 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:31 PM

Did you happen to have a familiar out just before talking to Belt in the castle?

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#3 CaptEHCJ

CaptEHCJ
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

No, I did not.  I had a familiar and it died.  Some mod kept requiring the familiar to spend large amounts of time outside my backpack and it eventually died.  

Interesting.. I just started a "new" BG2 game and it starts up, asks me what subrace I want to be and spell selection (while in irenicus dungeon but before the animations).  Then the animation starts, where he taunts, and gets called away.  Again, it sticks at no Imoen coming to let me out.  :-( 

Note.. this is a "Recommended" BwP build with FinnJOBGII_Subrace mod added in (because I like the concept of subraces). 

Edited by CaptEHCJ, 08 February 2016 - 01:50 PM.

#4 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:01 PM

No, I did not.  I had a familiar and it died.  Some mod kept requiring the familiar to spend large amounts of time outside my backpack and it eventually died.  

Interesting.. I just started a "new" BG2 game and it starts up, asks me what subrace I want to be and spell selection (while in irenicus dungeon but before the animations).  Then the animation starts, where he taunts, and gets called away.  Again, it sticks at no Imoen coming to let me out.  :-( 

Note.. this is a "Recommended" BwP build with FinnJOBGII_Subrace mod added in (because I like the concept of subraces). 

You should post ar0602.bcs here to see at which point FinnJOBGII_Subrace mod interfers with the sequence of events. My assumption is that it blocks the script at that point where the decision about spawning Imoen is made (because it happens with new or continued game).

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#5 CaptEHCJ

CaptEHCJ
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:15 PM

Roxanne, not sure exactly where that file is or which one is the one you are looking for.  When I go to my game directory, which is currently:

C:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA

From there I did a search for ar0602.bcs and I found a number of copies all in subdirectories... Most under Item pack, item rev, bgttweak, ajantis, gavin, etc.  

Am I looking in the wrong place? 

#6 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

Roxanne, not sure exactly where that file is or which one is the one you are looking for.  When I go to my game directory, which is currently:

C:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA

From there I did a search for ar0602.bcs and I found a number of copies all in subdirectories... Most under Item pack, item rev, bgttweak, ajantis, gavin, etc.  

Am I looking in the wrong place? 

You should use Near Infinity to see the one actually used in game. The others you found are backups from mods that have changed the file. If you find one in the FinnJOBGII_Subrace mod folder you could copy it into the override folder and try to start the game - if it works, you will know that this mod was the culprit, if not, it is one of those others that changed the file.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#7 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

The active copy would be inside one of the subfolders of BGII - SoA\generalized_biffing\prod 

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#8 CaptEHCJ

CaptEHCJ
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:30 PM

Here is the one under Genralized_Biffing\prod\0\biffs

Spoiler

#9 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:33 PM

Please upload it as an attachment (more reply options at bottom right corner of reply box).  It's a compiled file so we need to download it and open it in Near Infinity to read it.

#10 CaptEHCJ

CaptEHCJ
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:40 PM

Here we go.  Hope that worked.  :-)

Edited by CaptEHCJ, 08 February 2016 - 02:40 PM.

#11 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

I don't see an attachment on your post.  You might have to put it in a zip file.

#12 CaptEHCJ

CaptEHCJ
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

Try #2... 

Attached Files

#13 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:30 PM

That worked.  Can you also upload your weidu.log (from game folder) and newgame.bcs (from generalized biffing subfolder)?

#14 CaptEHCJ

CaptEHCJ
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:51 PM

More files. 

Attached Files

#15 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:06 PM

Try copying NEWGAME.BCS from your BGII-Subrace\backup\0\ folder to override.

The subrace mod added this block to the end of that script (this is the starting cutscene where Imoen comes to free you from the cage):

IF
  Global("SR_TIMERSTART","GLOBAL",1)
  InParty("Imoen")
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    CutSceneId(Protagonist)
    SetGlobal("SR_TIMERSTART","GLOBAL",0)
END

I don't know if this actually causes harm (therefore the experiment), but it certainly seems incorrect to place this block in the cutscene...

Edited by agb1, 08 February 2016 - 04:10 PM.

#16 CaptEHCJ

CaptEHCJ
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:30 PM

Sadly, that did not work.  :-(

and when I created a new character, same behavior - game paused in Irenicus dungeon, Charname was active though locked in the cage.  I chose my subrace, then got extra spells after leveling up, THEN the cut scene started, and of corse, Imoen was a no-show... 

Edited by CaptEHCJ, 08 February 2016 - 04:38 PM.

#17 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:41 PM

OK, I understand now what that block is trying to do.  It is meant to delay the timer (which is in baldur.bcs) for the "choose your subrace" dialogue.

I don't see the problem (yet) in the scripts...  sorry.  We can do a couple of things here.

1) We can give you access to the controls so you can move around after the cutscene -- take the attached AR0602.BCS and drop it in your override -- this is the same as the one you uploaded, but I added // in front of StartCutSceneMode() in this block:

Spoiler

2) You can enable TobEx debug logging to see if it reveals anything -- edit BGII - SoA\TobEx_ini\TobExCore.ini and set all lines under [Debug] to 1 before starting the game.  This will log extra information in TobEx.log that you can then upload also.

Attached Files

#18 CaptEHCJ

CaptEHCJ
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:04 PM

Ok.. the first solution made no difference because the cut scene never ends.  Imoen never shows up and I never get control of Charname.  So, I enabled logging and here is the TobEx.log.

I will note that both files are still in the override folder. 

Attached Files

Edited by CaptEHCJ, 08 February 2016 - 05:10 PM.

#19 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:14 PM

Was Imoen in your party when you transitioned to BG2?

#20 CaptEHCJ

CaptEHCJ
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:17 PM

No.  Playing Solo Charname.  Honestly I cant find Imoen.  I know I left her at Lions Way as soon as she joined my group but I have gone back to get her and shes not there, nor is she in the Friendly Arm Inn... go figure. 

Edited by CaptEHCJ, 08 February 2016 - 05:37 PM.