Photo

Greenhorn's questions, bugs and findings about BWS

• Please log in to reply
402 replies to this topic

#401 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 559 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:47 AM

Actually it just confirms my position on this. BWS for classic configuration cannot be maintained by someone who does not have these games anymore. Such a maintainer has not been found in the last year and a half. Fact.

Of course, you are right about that. At least this tool benefits EE gamers. As for me, I guess I will start slowly learning about installation process of BWP 17. But I'm afraid from what I see that it too is abandoned. I can only hope that I will not have to cope with myriad of problems like in BWS... 

AFAIK BWP doesn't support CA, right ?

Right. Total conversion and all that. Manually installing it is relatively easy process. BWS threw bunch of unnecessary things and dependencies ( fixpack, lolfixer, textpatch, resource patcher and so on ). Pickpocket mod (W_3kradziej ) can cause CDT in Silver princess palace area and old version of Aurora changed animation of Stirge monster from giant bat to axe wielding goblin. And for the record, I must add that my recent posts about current BWS classic shape aren't spiteful half truths, just account on it's present state. Nobody is more sad than me for it's present inability to allow quick and automated build up of stable and enjoyable BGT game like in good, old days. 

#402 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:30 AM

Well, that's not something which can be rescued magically. It's need maintainer and hard work. Nobody show interested and I doubt that anyone ever will. The amount of the classic BG players are very low. You post give me an idea: maybe we can split BWS into two parts? BWS and BWS Classic and set later as 'not maintained' ?

#403 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 559 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:04 AM

Well, that's not something which can be rescued magically. It's need maintainer and hard work. Nobody show interested and I doubt that anyone ever will. The amount of the classic BG players are very low. You post give me an idea: maybe we can split BWS into two parts? BWS and BWS Classic and set later as 'not maintained' ?

I can imagine amount of time, energy and nerves required for one person to  single-handedly maintain this tool. As for idea, maybe it is not bad one, but I really don't know how will it work from practical and technical view. For starters, I can tell you that although you can choose BGT customization for install option as soon as you are done with selecting of mods and save it and exit for whatever reason, when you next time open BWS ( updated or no, there is no difference ) it reverts you to " install only bat " variant which is BWP:BWS in config/user/ini. And there are more than few redundant dependencies and missing links for mods which make installing BGT almost impossible, although I didn't dig that much deep yet...