Greenhorn's questions, bugs and findings about BWS

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#381 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

As for the larger issue of Aurora not being compatible with BWP, is this because no one's maintaining the BWP/BWS whatever? Again, that should be a relatively simple solution (and again, for someone with time and the ability to look around whatever the existing code is).

It is all little bit confusing, really. Aurora is compatible with Leonardo's BWP  v.17 it seems, because it uses updated 5.2 version of the mod, without 5.1 patch while BWS use same version of the mod but marks it dependable with that patch, leftover from earlier installation procedures. Dependency should be removed and that will solve that particular problem although I fear that is only top of iceberg of problems if somebody try to install BGT classic game with BWS. 

I have tried to implement what you propose in the BGT part. You can test it, I cannot. It is like driving blind, either works or does not work, but I guess we cannot make it worse?

Thanks for the effort Roxanne, I will try it but with CA installed with BWS but not BGT. I think I can make CA work, installation, mod selection and extraction should be all made in first try, of course under assumption that you made that implementation for Classic adventures as well?  :)

I did not in the first attempt but tried it now. This is even worse hackwork because I do not even know what CA is.

PS - at least we can revert it in case I broke the whole construct.

Edited by Roxanne, 13 March 2018 - 09:37 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#382 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:40 AM

As for the larger issue of Aurora not being compatible with BWP, is this because no one's maintaining the BWP/BWS whatever? Again, that should be a relatively simple solution (and again, for someone with time and the ability to look around whatever the existing code is).

It is all little bit confusing, really. Aurora is compatible with Leonardo's BWP  v.17 it seems, because it uses updated 5.2 version of the mod, without 5.1 patch while BWS use same version of the mod but marks it dependable with that patch, leftover from earlier installation procedures. Dependency should be removed and that will solve that particular problem although I fear that is only top of iceberg of problems if somebody try to install BGT classic game with BWS. 

I have tried to implement what you propose in the BGT part. You can test it, I cannot. It is like driving blind, either works or does not work, but I guess we cannot make it worse?

Thanks for the effort Roxanne, I will try it but with CA installed with BWS but not BGT. I think I can make CA work, installation, mod selection and extraction should be all made in first try, of course under assumption that you made that implementation for Classic adventures as well?  :)

I did not in the first attempt but tried it now. This is even worse hackwork because I do not even know what CA is.

PS - at least we can revert it in case I broke the whole construct.

Thanks, I'm on it, it should take some time but I will let you know what happened.  :)

#383 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:29 AM

Well, the good news is that your solution seems to work, the bad news is that this whole endeavour was waste of time and effort and it only gave me a headache.  :P There are so much unnecessary things thrown marked as essential, downloading of mods fails for one reason or another then you must start again erasing CA from user configuration ini. What stopped me from installing completion was this:

Untitled.png  

despite my effort to find file and download it manually.

Untitled1.png

Ugh, I think that I'm done with BWS for good. 

Edited by Greenhorn, 13 March 2018 - 11:34 AM.

#384 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:42 AM

Well, the good news is that your solution seems to work, the bad news is that this whole endeavour was waste of time and effort and it only gave me a headache.  :P There are so much unnecessary things thrown marked as essential, downloading of mods fails for one reason or another then you must start again erasing CA from user configuration ini. What stopped me from installing completion was this:

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

attachicon.gifUntitled1.png

I see the issue. Lolfixer has been integrated into BWFixpack a while ago (by Lollorian himself, it appears to me...) CA still looks for a standalone mod. Looks like you unearth that thing for the first time in about 2 years.

So, I removed that.

And I still do not even know what *CA* is after all...

The Sandrah Saga

#385 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

attachicon.gifUntitled1.png

I see the issue. Lolfixer has been integrated into BWFixpack a while ago (by Lollorian himself, it appears to me...) CA still looks for a standalone mod. Looks like you unearth that thing for the first time in about 2 years.

So, I removed that.

And I still do not even know what *CA* is after all...

CA stands for Classic adventures: http://www.shsforums...sic-adventures/http://classicadventuresmod.com/.

Give it a try if you ever experience nostalgia for good old classic games. But I know that your hands are full at the moment.

Maybe I was able to cheat BWS by renaming this thing in BigWorldSetup/Config/Ca/mod 

[lolfixer]
Name=Lollorian's LolFixer
Rev=
Type=F,R,S,T,E
Down=Manual
Save=Manual
Size=Manual
Tra=EN:0,--:0
NotFixed=2 3 4 6 9 10 11

with what I have in Big World downloads ( rename save manual with save omni-axa-Lolfixer-7a763fb) but it is over now. 

Edited by Greenhorn, 13 March 2018 - 12:07 PM.

#386 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:06 PM

So, I removed that.

I'm not sure that it  will be enough. As I recall, one of Tobex components specifically asks for one of the components in Lollorian fixer ( I forgot which, sorry ) which can lead to further problems. 

Edited by Greenhorn, 13 March 2018 - 12:08 PM.

#387 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:25 PM

So, I removed that.

I'm not sure that it  will be enough. As I recall, one of Tobex components specifically asks for one of the components in Lollorian fixer ( I forgot which, sorry ) which can lead to further problems. 

Fixpack and thus lolfixer should be applied automatically, as far as i understand what BWS does in CA. The *relict* I removed was the later checking for a download and lolfixer.component once again. This seems to be redundant. But it is just a guess...

(And this is why only those who still possess and use the classic game versions are suited to maintain the corresponding BWS parts, but not some eediot.)

The Sandrah Saga

#388 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:54 PM

So, I removed that.

Fixpack and thus lolfixer should be applied automatically, as far as i understand what BWS does in CA. The *relict* I removed was the later checking for a download and lolfixer.component once again. This seems to be redundant. But it is just a guess...

(And this is why only those who still possess and use the classic game versions are suited to maintain the corresponding BWS parts, but not some eediot.)

:lol:

Maybe your solution was successful, maybe not, I checked it in CA, I think it can roll successfully without those blasted dependencies but I also checked current BGT situation:

Untitled.png

and LOLfixer is still there and mandatory:

Untitled.png

I seem to recall that this was the reason why classic BGT installation failed for one guy recently ( missing Lol fixer ) . Sigh, it is like fight against hydra, you cut one head only to be confronted with two new ones. 

#389 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:25 AM

Tried one more CA installation with newest BWS for verification sake, this time everything installed except Avatar pack by Zsomeone, which is updated ( current version of the mod is 1.3.1 while BWS use old 1.1 version ). When I tried to actually start/play game screen froze at loading. No choice but to shut it with Windows task manager. Error log shows nothing.  I regret to inform that CA BWS is fiasco. 

#390 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:26 AM

Tried one more CA installation with newest BWS for verification sake, this time everything installed except Avatar pack by Zsomeone, which is updated ( current version of the mod is 1.3.1 while BWS use old 1.1 version ). When I tried to actually start/play game screen froze at loading. No choice but to shut it with Windows task manager. Error log shows nothing.  I regret to inform that CA BWS is fiasco. 

Thank you for the feedback.

Actually it just confirms my position on this. BWS for classic configuration cannot be maintained by someone who does not have these games anymore. Such a maintainer has not been found in the last year and a half. Fact.

The EE constellations are kept up-to-date and working by a couple of modders, who are also helping along others who contributed their new mods to the (EE-)games. This arrangement works fairly good, even if sometimes impeded by the static software of the tool itself.

The Sandrah Saga

#391 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:40 AM

Actually it just confirms my position on this. BWS for classic configuration cannot be maintained by someone who does not have these games anymore. Such a maintainer has not been found in the last year and a half. Fact.

Of course, you are right about that. At least this tool benefits EE gamers. As for me, I guess I will start slowly learning about installation process of BWP 17. But I'm afraid from what I see that it too is abandoned. I can only hope that I will not have to cope with myriad of problems like in BWS... 

#392 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:05 AM

Of course, you are right about that. At least this tool benefits EE gamers. As for me, I guess I will start slowly learning about installation process of BWP 17. But I'm afraid from what I see that it too is abandoned. I can only hope that I will not have to cope with myriad of problems like in BWS... 

Hi Greenhorn.

BWP is not abandoned. BWP v17.1 is currently under work.

#393 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:08 AM

Hi Greenhorn.

BWP is not abandoned. BWP v17.1 is currently under work.

Hey Nightfarer, thanks, those are very good news.  :) I thought it was abandoned because I didn't had success to find trace of it on internet, old Kerzenburg files and links are dead ( they have new forum, but there are only 12 or so mods available for download ). I found here on SHS needed files though. Any word on when BWP v17.1 will be ready and where can I follow its development? I guess I can wait awhile and manually install CA to keep me in shape in the meantime. 

#394 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:21 AM

Hi Greenhorn.

The latest release of BWP is v17 which you can find here: http://www.shsforums...c/59470-bwpv17/

I don't have much words on that, can tell you it is under active development but no estimated release date. I am not going to say much more than this, I hope you understand. BWP is Leonardo's work, not mine (although am giving Leonardo a hand).

I guess so :)

#395 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:34 AM

Hi Greenhorn.

The latest release of BWP is v17 which you can find here: http://www.shsforums...c/59470-bwpv17/

I don't have much words on that, can tell you it is under active development but no estimated release date. I am not going to say much more than this, I hope you understand. BWP is Leonardo's work, not mine (although am giving Leonardo a hand).

I guess so :)

Yeah, I researched that topic thoroughly. It seems there are still some problems with installation of some mods but I also got pleasantly surprised that some EE exclusive mods were converted for use in BGT. Anyway, thanks for good news and here it is to hopefully soon to come and successful BWP v.17.1.  :cheers:

#396 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:45 AM

AFAIK BWP doesn't support CA, right ?

Hi Alien.

Nope, BWP does not support CA and, personally, never tried installing it "(relatively) on top". Might be an interesting thing to try, anyway.

#397 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:47 AM

AFAIK BWP doesn't support CA, right ?

Right. Total conversion and all that. Manually installing it is relatively easy process. BWS threw bunch of unnecessary things and dependencies ( fixpack, lolfixer, textpatch, resource patcher and so on ). Pickpocket mod (W_3kradziej ) can cause CDT in Silver princess palace area and old version of Aurora changed animation of Stirge monster from giant bat to axe wielding goblin. And for the record, I must add that my recent posts about current BWS classic shape aren't spiteful half truths, just account on it's present state. Nobody is more sad than me for it's present inability to allow quick and automated build up of stable and enjoyable BGT game like in good, old days. 

#398 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 718 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:04 AM

Well, that's not something which can be rescued magically. It's need maintainer and hard work. Nobody show interested and I doubt that anyone ever will. The amount of the classic BG players are very low. You post give me an idea: maybe we can split BWS into two parts? BWS and BWS Classic and set later as 'not maintained' ?

I can imagine amount of time, energy and nerves required for one person to  single-handedly maintain this tool. As for idea, maybe it is not bad one, but I really don't know how will it work from practical and technical view. For starters, I can tell you that although you can choose BGT customization for install option as soon as you are done with selecting of mods and save it and exit for whatever reason, when you next time open BWS ( updated or no, there is no difference ) it reverts you to " install only bat " variant which is BWP:BWS in config/user/ini. And there are more than few redundant dependencies and missing links for mods which make installing BGT almost impossible, although I didn't dig that much deep yet...