• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:05 PM

Hi All:

Before I get to play through this again, I thought I might get some advice why I cannot get the quest from Haeball to get him the elvin bow.  Here is the section of the walkthrough about the Book of Ignorance I follow.  It was written by Aurelinus and includes NTotSC and DSotSC.

The Book of Ignorance

This quest begins during the talk with a priestess standing next to Sorcerous Sundries.
The sequence of dialogs is very important here: 
1. Crazy priestess (Shaella) in front of the Magic Varieties tent.
2. Talk to Shaella again (after returning from Candlekeep).
3. Monk next to her (friar Hasdar); activates only after we return from Candlekeep and after second talk with Shaella. Then everything will occur in its order... but it doesn't mean it will be easy.
4. Owner of Lower Lantern (Lobar) - sends us to Ouepast  - mm75: don't know how to translate it Siren).
5. Ouepast talks about Book of Ignorance only when you talk to him for the first time (you must have already talked with Lobar). If you talked to him before, you won't find the book. Quepast must be charmed during the FIRST talk. After that you can charm him any number of times - it won't help. I've charmed Quepast and talked with him using a character with very high charisma (20). After a correct talk, new location will activate - Solitary Valley. There is an entrance to the cave (again very difficult to spot). Inside, there are non-aggressive demons (they want to be sent back to their worlds). And here we find Book of Ignorance - it should be returned to Baldur's Gate. 

And the case of friar Hasdar, if we give him the book, he'll escape with our book (not paying the money), leaving us with his guards. Alternatively, if we choose to kill Hasdar, we can talk about the book with a mage from Larswood (Haeball). The best way is not to tell that we have it. Haeball will give us also a new quest to do.

Here is information for those who do not want to go to Candlekeep... Quest can be done differently: after talking with Shaella you just need to kill friar Hasdar. Then, we need to talk with Haeball - he'll tell us about Lobar. The rest of the story line is the same as above.

After I get the book, I kill Hasdar.  Then I go to Haeball and he attacks me.  If I go to Haeball before I get the book, He sells me items.  Never gives me the quest.

I remember getting the quest a few times, many years ago.  I am sure I followed the walkthrough as it is above.  Now I wonder why I cannot get the quest.  Has it been removed?

If anyone knows how to get the quest, I would greatly appreciate to know what I am not doing correctly.

Tom

#2 micbaldur

micbaldur

Retired Perkele, Ultimate BWP player

• 1692 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:32 PM

Note!  Don't talk to Reedig at Ulgoth's Beard before doing this or Haeball attacks.

After visiting Solitary Valley and talking to demon aka Lesser Tanar'ri take "Great Book of Unknowning".

Go to Larswood.

Before talking to Haeball DROP "Great Book of Unknowning" to ground from inventory (he notices it if in inventory). Then talk to him and he gives you "Magic Elven Bow" quest and Northern Wood is updated to worldmap. Remenber to take "Great Book of Unknowning" from ground.

Go Northern Wood and get bow from Feydoch.

Go to Baldur's Gate E Section and talk to Brother Hasdar. He takes "Great Book of Unknowning" and tries to leave (remains neutral) so kill him quickly (if you want, not mandatory).

Go to Larswood.

Talk to Haeball and he attacks. Go downstairs to Cellar and take "Unidentified Body".

Go to Solitary Valley.

Talk to demon aka Lesser Tanar'ri. Then choose to kill them if you want to.

Then go to Ulgoth's Beard.

Talk to Reedig and do "Destroy the Cult of the Black Hand" quest.

CHARNAMEs excellent adventures in the world of BWP expert-install here

Thanks to Leonardo Watson for making this possible

#3 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:41 PM

Thanks micbaldur!

Tom

#4 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:57 AM

I, too, remember being able to access this quest with demons last time many years ago. Either that was lucky coincidence and this quest always had too much loops to jump, or someone made it harder to get since that. Does anybody think that this is Fixpack material to streamline quest prerequisites a bit, or this is better left alone as a hard to find easter egg?

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#5 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:04 AM

I, too, remember being able to access this quest with demons last time many years ago. Either that was lucky coincidence and this quest always had too much loops to jump, or someone made it harder to get since that. Does anybody think that this is Fixpack material to streamline quest prerequisites a bit, or this is better left alone as a hard to find easter egg?

It is a feature, not a bug. You can solve the demon and the book quest without the bow, so it is intended. Nothing wrong with having more than one way to solve a quest, i.e. there is nothing to fix(pack) here. Yes, treat it as a hard to find extra clue - and now it is not so hard to find with all the guidance and walkthroughs provided.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#6 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:53 PM

Hi micbaldur:

After visiting Solitary Valley and talking to demon aka Lesser Tanar'ri take "Great Book of Unknowning".

Go to Larswood.

Before talking to Haeball DROP "Great Book of Unknowning" to ground from inventory (he notices it if in inventory). Then talk to him and he gives you "Magic Elven Bow" quest and Northern Wood is updated to worldmap. Remenber to take "Great Book of Unknowning" from ground.

Go Northern Wood and get bow from Feydoch.

Go to Baldur's Gate E Section and talk to Brother Hasdar. He takes "Great Book of Unknowning" and tries to leave (remains neutral) so kill him quickly (if you want, not mandatory).

Go to Larswood.

Talk to Haeball and he attacks. Go downstairs to Cellar and take "Unidentified Body".

Go to Solitary Valley.

Talk to demon aka Lesser Tanar'ri. Then choose to kill them if you want to.

Then go to Ulgoth's Beard.

Talk to Reedig and do "Destroy the Cult of the Black Hand" quest.

I followed this scheme.

I am at the last step,  "Talk to Reedig and do "Destroy the Cult of the Black Hand" quest."

I meet Reedrig.  He says "Welcome!  What brings you here?"  My only reply is "We're traveling.  Just like always,"  Reedrig just stands there.

Normally he told me about the Black Hand and walked away.  I checked and the area with the Temple of the Black Hand is not on my map.

Any suggestions?  I will try to search Reedrig for a Global.  But my expertise with NI is very limited.

Tom

OOPs!  False Alarm.

You need NTPBLET04.ITM in your possession.  It is a letter you get, but I do not remember from who.  I had it stored away in a container.  Found it.  Went back to Reedrig, talked to him, and all is well.  I am amazed I found the with NI.  Probably easy for everyone else.

Tom

Edited by tomkaz, 05 March 2016 - 06:21 PM.

#7 micbaldur

micbaldur

Retired Perkele, Ultimate BWP player

• 1692 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:27 PM

Hi micbaldur:
I followed this scheme.

I am at the last step,  "Talk to Reedig and do "Destroy the Cult of the Black Hand" quest."

I meet Reedrig.  He says "Welcome!  What brings you here?"  My only reply is "We're traveling.  Just like always,"  Reedrig just stands there.

Normally he told me about the Black Hand and walked away.  I checked and the area with the Temple of the Black Hand is not on my map.

Any suggestions?  I will try to search Reedrig for a Global.  But my expertise with NI is very limited.

Tom

Have you killed Aec'Letec and Tracea Carol at Ulgoth Beard's aka done Hurgan Stoneblade's "Retrive Hurgan's Dagger" quest, involves doing Durlag's Tower. Tracea Carol has Letter (NTPBLET4) you need that when talking to Reedig.

It always good practise to carry miscellaneous "junk" you get from various places and CREs like me. :P

Also check that globals "TalkedToReedigInBeard" is 0 aka you don't have it and "FreeReedrigToLeave" is 1.

Update:

Oh, you found it. Good luck. :cheers:

Edited by micbaldur, 05 March 2016 - 06:33 PM.

CHARNAMEs excellent adventures in the world of BWP expert-install here

Thanks to Leonardo Watson for making this possible

#8 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:21 AM

Hi micbaldur:

There is a barrel in front of the Jovial Juggler.  That is where I keep all the stuff that I think is useless.  Such as letters, notes, broken armor, ancient armor, stolen weapons, etc.  This way they never leave the game.  By the way, cannot find any thief who will by "stolen" weapons.  That is changed from last BG1 game.

I  looked up Reedrig in NI.  Under the dialog is where I found you need the NTPBLET04.ITM letter to get the correct conversation.  Also listed the Globals in the dialog section.  Searched the dialog for "Global" and found there were five.  Checked the Globals with ShadowKeeper and found they were not yet created so it meant that I talked to Reedrig without having the letter in my possession.

Thanks to you, abg1, The Imp, and others for many useful instructions on how to search the game, make fixes, and for the fixes I could not do myself.

Tom

#9 Lunever

Lunever
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:10 AM

So I made the mistake of first talking to Reedig after killing Aec'Letec many many hours of playing ago, now Haeball will immediately attack me, when I try to talk to him. Is it possible to use EEKeeper to temporarily edit some global variable in order to appease Haeball for now? 

#10 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:57 AM

@Lunever it usually is sufficient to ask a question at one place. Fel free to open a new thread if you think it might be overlooked.

Answered here.