Problems with my BW installation

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 -Jourin-

-Jourin-

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:40 AM

1.  Ascalons Breagar v7.00b failed:  Error:  Failure("resource [ACVIRGI.DLG] not found for 'APPEND'")

2.  1ppv4 Spell Tweaks failed: 

a.  Error:  illegal 4-byte write ( ) offset 1138 of 922-byte file SPWI414.SPL

b.  Error:  [SPWI414.SPL] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("SPWI414.SPL:  write out of bounds"))

c.  Since this spell is a standard spell, I don't know if some other mod changed it.  Checking with DLTCEP didn't show any problems with this spell.

3.  The most critical failure was with item CDPP29.itm.  This caused a complete failure of Stratagems since it cause the initial component to fail so nothing else would load.  It also cause trap revisions to fail and the item checker to all fail.  Checking this item with DLTCEP shows this to be a completely invalid item.  If I knew which mod loaded this item I would delete the item from the mod/or the complete mod.

a.  Error:  illegal 2-byte read from offset 61562 of 506-byte file

b.  Error:  [CDPP29.ITM] -> [override/CDPP29.ITM] Patching failed (COPY) (Failure("Read out of bounds'))

I apologize in advance for being unable to upload any files.  I do not have the capability with a guest logon.  I will probably need to create a new userID since I have not received any response to unlock/recover password for my original account.

Appreciate any help. 

#2 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:46 AM

Is this a BWS or a BWP install?

I do not recognize CDPP29.itm -- can you search for it in your game folder? There should be a copy of it that is NOT in a backup folder, and that non-backup copy is probably the original. As a test, you could try swapping the original with the modded copy in your override folder and retry the SCS install. If that works, we can deduce that it was broken by a later mod.

The Imp's Mega Mod FAQ (sticky post in this forum) has a section that describes how to collect a WeiDU "change-log" - that would be the next step. Note you need to replace the version of WeiDU in the FAQ's attachment with a newer version of WeiDU (such as the weidu.exe currently in your game folder).

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#3 -Jourin-

-Jourin-

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for the reply  I ran another test and found:

1.  CDPP29.ITM is Melissan's Ring of Wizardy.  Two current item names exist C!PP29.ITM and CDPP29.ITM.  Both error out in DLTCEP and both CD and C! are prefixes belonging to CamDawg.  I can not find a Melissan Ring of Wizardy in standard, so some mod adds this item.  I can not find a PP29.ITEM in any mod.  So I think a CamDawg tweak changes the name.  I am trying to isolate what mods I am playing this time that is different than before that would add Melissan Ring of Wizardy.  Maybe the fact of not using item revisions is impacting something.  I will do more testing.

2.  I used BWP install.

a.  I really tried to use BWS but I couldn't get it to do what I wanted - which was to just use all the mods already in BGII - SoA directory since I had already downloaded all the mods I wanted to play.  I also wanted to add a few pauses in the installation to manually add some mods not included.

b.  Before I came to ask for help with BWS I wanted to do more research because the answer was probably out there.  I also need to study and learn BWS more before I am comfortable using it.  It looks like it has better conflict resolution and is probably a better tool to use so I want to learn it, it is just complicated and takes time to learn.

c.  Since I really wanted to play and I know BWP, it is much easier for me to use BWP than BWS (at lest right now),

Appreciate the reply.

#4 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:46 PM

As a workaround, you can simply remove the item from your override folder. Later in your install, BWP should run lolfixer, which will remove any references to the item because it will be missing from the override folder.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#5 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:29 AM

The cd and c! prefixed items are created by BG2 Tweak Pack's Wear Multiple Protection Items component. There should be a cdpnp.2da file in the override that can point you to the original item these duplicates were created from.

#6 -Jourin-

-Jourin-

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for pointer (although I found it myself after much searching last night----maybe I should have just waited for your expert guidance) :shifty:.  I confirmed that the original item name was DW#MELRI.ITM loaded by Wheels of Prophecy.  So the item itself is probably not a problem.  I am running a test to confirm no problems with the item before BG2 Tweak component 2150 (to confirm no other mod introduced a problem) and then confirm problem after loading this component.  For my last several installations I used item revisions (version 2) so never tried this component from the Tweak Pack.  Decided to go without item revisions (don't really like version 3) this time but still wanted the PNP restrictions (or freedom).  I really don't want all the item revisions, I just want the PNP restrictions.  If BG2 Tweak is the confirmed cause of the problem, I guess I will skip 2150 and 2151 components in my installation.  Find out tonight.  Then maybe I need to see if I can do a really light installation of version 3 item revision installation or go back to using version 2 or maybe live with the restrictions (or use shadow keeper manually to remove).

Thanks again for helpful response!

#7 -Jourin-

-Jourin-

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:04 AM

Success - kind of:

1. Excluded component 2150 (PNP item of protection tweak) of BG2 Tweaks and Melissan's ring from Wheels of Prophecy was not corrupted and basic component of Stratagems loaded.

Note:  I was confused on my last installation.  I did NOT install Item revisions.

I had the same choices, just older versions and different order:

I had SCS 21, then Wheels of Prophecy v2, then SCSII21 then BG2 Tweaks v11 (with component 2150).  This worked.  Newer versions, different order and error.  The last time I used item revisions was version 2 and it was a long long time ago.  Did check out Item revisions 3 and needs more study before I will consider loading it, but looks promising.

2.  Stratagems General AI failed to load because it was missing 6 spells from the PPK Kit mod:  EISPCL: 02,03,13,09,12,19.  Does Stratagem assign Kits to NPCs?  If so cool, just didn't know.  Why else would it care that these spells exist?  Why weren't these spells in override?  The only thing that looks like it could have changed them is spell revisions.

I loaded the missing files to override and reprocessed.  Success with Stratagems, trap revisions all the way to Sandrah.

3. Sandrah failed to install.  I had it on manual load because v1.11 has different installation choices then the v10 from BWP.  When manually loading it failed due to missing sound (.wav files) and some reference to BIFF????  I will look a the debug file closer tonight.  Did my inclusion of all the new sound updates cause Sandrah to fail?  Why is Sandrah checking for sound files anyways?   I was just so frustrated last night with this error that I killed the installation.  I will try again tonight.

#8 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:10 AM

Success - kind of:

1. Excluded component 2150 (PNP item of protection tweak) of BG2 Tweaks and Melissan's ring from Wheels of Prophecy was not corrupted and basic component of Stratagems loaded.

Note:  I was confused on my last installation.  I did NOT install Item revisions.

I had the same choices, just older versions and different order:

I had SCS 21, then Wheels of Prophecy v2, then SCSII21 then BG2 Tweaks v11 (with component 2150).  This worked.  Newer versions, different order and error.  The last time I used item revisions was version 2 and it was a long long time ago.  Did check out Item revisions 3 and needs more study before I will consider loading it, but looks promising.

2.  Stratagems General AI failed to load because it was missing 6 spells from the PPK Kit mod:  EISPCL: 02,03,13,09,12,19.  Does Stratagem assign Kits to NPCs?  If so cool, just didn't know.  Why else would it care that these spells exist?  Why weren't these spells in override?  The only thing that looks like it could have changed them is spell revisions.

I loaded the missing files to override and reprocessed.  Success with Stratagems, trap revisions all the way to Sandrah.

3. Sandrah failed to install.  I had it on manual load because v1.11 has different installation choices then the v10 from BWP.  When manually loading it failed due to missing sound (.wav files) and some reference to BIFF????  I will look a the debug file closer tonight.  Did my inclusion of all the new sound updates cause Sandrah to fail?  Why is Sandrah checking for sound files anyways?   I was just so frustrated last night with this error that I killed the installation.  I will try again tonight.

regarding 3. you may have this issue http://www.shsforums...-53#entry587736 which was in the download of the last two days but is now corrected.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#9 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:20 AM

Does Stratagem assign Kits to NPCs?  If so cool, just didn't know.  Why else would it care that these spells exist?  Why weren't these spells in override? 

Some kit yeah, to your enemies, not to NPCs. It checks the spells because it wants to not leave the enemy .cre files patched with garbage files.
The spell are not in the override folder probably because the PPK Kit mods compiler didn't include the spells into the mod ... a good reason not to trust the mod at all and delete it from your hard drive.
Although, you might consider to use a rather better fitting and more up to dated mods, like the SCSv30. And use tools that actually work, like say the BWS (yes, direct download) and not the old variant of a BWP install.bat you obviously are. If we look at your mods.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#10 -Jourin-

-Jourin-

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:50 AM

Imp:  Thanks for the reply.  I didn't know that SCS would assign kits to enemy NPCs.  How does it pick the kits? Random?  Why would it use the kits that I installed from PPK vs. kits from other mods?  I will check to see if PPK mod is actually loading the spells correctly and let you know.

I haven't used the kits from PPK in a long time so maybe I can remove from my installation packet.  Please note that I really don't have a lot kits loaded (aside from TDD).

Also this installation is using SCSv30 along with the latest version of every mod.  I was referencing my last successful installation (prior to this attempt) which used SCs21.  Once I start a game I usually play for a long.....time. In fact I wasn't even to ToB in my last installation, but wanted to start a new game to try Sandrah.

BWS:  It looks great, but I don't understand how it works. I already spent a few nights playing around with it and trying to get it do what I wanted.  The capability probably is there and I will start learning this tool, but I know how to make BWP work so I am going with what I know.  I will say that BWS looks a lot better than it did the last time I looked at using it which was a couple of years ago, so I will invest the time to learn about this new tool. 

Roxanne:  That's for your reply.  I will download and try the new version 1.11 and let you know.  Question:  Did you make Sandrah compatible with Jarl's Adventure Pack.  You indicated you would, but never saw a confirmation.  I removed Jarl's for safety, but would really like to put back if I can.

#11 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:08 AM

Imp:  Thanks for the reply.  I didn't know that SCS would assign kits to enemy NPCs.  How does it pick the kits? Random?  Why would it use the kits that I installed from PPK vs. kits from other mods?  I will check to see if PPK mod is actually loading the spells correctly and let you know.

I haven't used the kits from PPK in a long time so maybe I can remove from my installation packet.  Please note that I really don't have a lot kits loaded (aside from TDD).

Also this installation is using SCSv30 along with the latest version of every mod.  I was referencing my last successful installation (prior to this attempt) which used SCs21.  Once I start a game I usually play for a long.....time. In fact I wasn't even to ToB in my last installation, but wanted to start a new game to try Sandrah.

BWS:  It looks great, but I don't understand how it works. I already spent a few nights playing around with it and trying to get it do what I wanted.  The capability probably is there and I will start learning this tool, but I know how to make BWP work so I am going with what I know.  I will say that BWS looks a lot better than it did the last time I looked at using it which was a couple of years ago, so I will invest the time to learn about this new tool. 

Roxanne:  That's for your reply.  I will download and try the new version 1.11 and let you know.  Question:  Did you make Sandrah compatible with Jarl's Adventure Pack.  You indicated you would, but never saw a confirmation.  I removed Jarl's for safety, but would really like to put back if I can.

The latest findings about Jarl are here http://www.shsforums...-51#entry586505 and in the next 3-4 entries after it.

If you go with Sandrah to Waterdeep prior Chapter 4, the mod-breaking episode can be avoided - for the rest...it is less important and I will only look into it again if Jarl becomes available for EET, but not anymore for the BGT version.

The Sandrah Saga

#12 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:10 AM

I didn't know that SCS would assign kits to enemy NPCs.  How does it pick the kits? Random?  Why would it use the kits that I installed from PPK vs. kits from other mods?

It adds the clab files content of a few kit to a few enemies. On mages, it randomizes between a few sorts, so it doesn't use all of the possible, on fighters, a few enemies get Berserker kit, like the Ogre Berserkers, giants can get it too, I don't know of the rest. The system is definitely NOT perfect, but it tries. And no one else did, except the acid kensai... he heheheh. Anyways, the check, I don't know/remember of it's reasoning, but it has been there for ages and removing it is not the best ideas, as doing so might well introduce additional errors that can be sorted out ... or you just don't get to install the SCS on a broken game. The BWS at one point tried to tweak the check out, I don't know of the result... the common go around of the check is to add .spl files that are named as the resources that do nothing. As the .spl file only has the header.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#13 -Jourin-

-Jourin-

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:34 AM

Well I guess something good came from my SCS errors...I learned a little more about the SCS AI.  Thanks Imp.

Jarl, Jarl, Jarl:  I really like this mod, but I will remove to ensure I get a good initial experience with Sandrah.  Maybe in my spare time I will write a patch to fix Jarl for my installation (Give me an excuse to restart BG1), and then offer to the owner for inclusion in a later release.  No promises

#14 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:46 AM

Well I guess something good came from my SCS errors...I learned a little more about the SCS AI.  Thanks Imp.

Jarl, Jarl, Jarl:  I really like this mod, but I will remove to ensure I get a good initial experience with Sandrah.  Maybe in my spare time I will write a patch to fix Jarl for my installation (Give me an excuse to restart BG1), and then offer to the owner for inclusion in a later release.  No promises

I would do it the other way round - Sandrah will be removed from BGT pretty soon, so why bother about her still. Anyway, it may be a good idea to improve Jarl, many people like that mod and may want to play a safe version.

The Sandrah Saga

#15 -Jourin-

-Jourin-

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:27 PM

Roxanne,

I guess I shouldn't have posted the problem with Sandrah before reviewing the debug file.  My fault and won't do it again.

Failure had nothing to do with .wav or biff files - I know I saw that on the screen but I don't have a copy and it was late last night.  Don't think I imagined it but no documentation.

Failure:

Semantic error in TP2 code (first ex-north-link check failed)

Error:  [worldmap.wmp] -> [override] Patching failed (copy)

Note:  worldmap is planned to be loaded after Sandrah per guide. 

I e-mailed the debug file to the e-mail provided in the debug file.

Note2:  I downloaded AR0804.baf and tried the re-install per link above.  The same error

I also tired to download the updated file, but the last update listed on SHSforums is FEB 15th, so don't think it was updated.  Please advise?

#16 -Jourin-

-Jourin-

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:58 PM

Roxanne,

I downloaded and tired the latest version just in case it wasn't updated.  I got .tis, .wav, and a movie.bif error.

Set you a screenshot since it is not in the debug file

#17 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:07 PM

Roxanne,

I downloaded and tired the latest version just in case it wasn't updated.  I got .tis, .wav, and a movie.bif error.

Set you a screenshot since it is not in the debug file

There was an issue in the BWS around mid-February which may be your issue here

From BWP-manual *To be able to install Sandrah, you must copy the file worldmap.wmp IMMEDIATELY BEFORE INSTALLATION OF
THE MOD from the folder BiG World fixpack into the override folder.*

1. So you can either do this copy manually prior to installing Sandrah

or

2. Install BP-BWP-worldmap mod prior to Sandrah (in normal install order there is no other mod adding new maps, so this should be no problem)

or

3. Use latest BWS version, the problem there is now reported to be fixed

The Sandrah Saga

#18 -Jourin-

-Jourin-

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:58 AM

Thought I would give an update

1.  Ascalons Breagar v7.00b, has issues.  Rolling back to v6.90

2.  1ppv4 Spell Tweaks:  Believe I found root cause but will wait to complete test

3.  Sandrah Issue:  Believe I found root cause but will wait to complete test

Since I spoke bad about Item Revisions earlier in this thread and then learned I got this mod confused with another mod, I felt compelled to do a deep dive into Item Revisions 4 new beta release.

1.  The rework of the items pretty much accomplishes the stated intent (fairly balance the items and add unique flavor).

2.  The potion re-work could be called revolutionary since it changes standard PnP potions but overall it makes the potions more useful.  I personally like most of it and for the one's I don't modification is easy.

3.  The Store Revisions makes sense, but since it is an overwrite I would put it early in the implementation (before any other BG2 store changes).

4.  The other great factor of this mod is that it is easy to mod so I can change the few items I don't like.  They also provided a sample of how to mod one line of code in SCS so SCS fine weapon enhancement works with Item revisions.

Highly recommend Item Revisions 4.

#19 -Jourin-

-Jourin-

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:51 PM

SUCCESS! - somewhat

1.Similar error with Ascalons Breagar v6.09a.  It works with a very basic BGT installation but not with all the quests loaded before it.  Some mod loaded before it must change ACVIRGI.DLG.  I will test the installation order to try to find the culprit.

a.  NOTE1:   v7.00b failed on the basic installation for other issues so I would stay away from that version and stick with v6.09a for now.  It at least works on a basic installation

b.  NOTE2:  BWS (yes I mean BWS) also has the same error as BWP

2.  1ppv4 Spell Tweaks:  Resolved.  Default value is 2.  I wanted the cool red graphics so picked 1.  PDF indicates a possible error with this selection.  Not clear before I started, but clear after I experienced the error.  Selection 1 does not work (at least with a mega install), so stick with the recommended default of 2.

a.  NOTE:  BWS picks selection 2 by default.  In my test I did not try to override, but would think it gives an error.  Maybe I will test sometime later to see if BWS gives a warning.

3.  Sandrah Installation:  Resolved.  BWP has code which copies the needed worldmap data plus some other checks.  The first time I was worried that BWP was coded for version 1.10 and version 1.11 significantly changed the selections, so I thought to be safe and do a manual installation.  That is why it failed.

a.  NOTE:  BWS also fails.  See Greehorn's post for how to resolve manually with input from Roxanne.  AGB1/IMP:  I would suggest you add similar code from BWP to BWS so it will work automatically on BWS and users won't need to do the manual process.

4.  I promised IMP I would check PPK to see why it failed:  User error.  My notes indicated I wanted to load just components 1,3,4,5,9 and that is how I changed the batch file.  Forgot about component 0 that loads all the spells.  No problem with the mod.

I felt compelled to respond to Imp's challenge so I studied BWS and did a similar installation using BWS.  Review will be in next post probably tomorrow.  I still want to play around to see why Ascalons Breagar fails, but not tonight.

#20 -Jourin-

-Jourin-

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

Resolved issue with Ascalons Breagar.  Fails if loaded after Ascalons Quest, but not before.  Since they are both by the same author, I assume this is intentional.  Load first component of Breagar, the load Ascalons Quest, then can load the second component (PID) of Breagar in current location.