Adding an animation to BG2EE

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:02 AM

*Updated* Check out my post below for a working solution.

Hey,

I'm in the process of making my mods EE compatible and I've run into a bit of trouble with adding my werebear animation to the BG EE games (BG2EE being the primary goal / test game)

Now, I'm basically a complete moron when it comes to stuff like this and I only managed to add those animations to the vanilla game back in the day thanks to Infinity Animations' excellent documentation/guide.

Here is a run down of what I tried to get the animation into BG2EE so far:

- copy .bams into override (using the same file names I use for vanilla games, e.g.: µDJca.bam, ...)

- append appropriate code to: animate.ids - anisnd.ids - EXTANIM.2DA - EXTSPEED.2DA

here is the complete weidu code:

APPEND ~animate.ids~ ~0x5294 WEREBEAR_D2~ UNLESS ~^0x5294~  //write animate.ids
APPEND ~anisnd.ids~ ~0x5294 µDJ      CGAMEANIMATIONTYPE_WEREBEAR_D2~ UNLESS ~^0x5294~  //write anisnd.ids
APPEND ~EXTANIM.2DA~ ~21140  0 1 1 0 0 1 47 0 0 NONE NONE NONE 6 3 µDJ NONE 0 0 NONE~
APPEND ~EXTSPEED.2DA~ ~21140 7~

I have also tried to use an other empty slot from viader's list found here

The result was the same each time, instead of the werebear animation the game shows the male gnome wizard animation.

I would greatly appreciate any help on this.

Edited by Ulb, 25 March 2016 - 03:18 PM.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:11 AM

µ

Why, why WHY ???

You should use your own mod prefix in files in EE games.

The non-EE games is different... as the .exe needs to be patched, and the Infinity Animations patching took care of that, but the EE games can use the animation files without patching the .exe .

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:26 AM

µ

Why, why WHY ???

You should use your own mod prefix in files in EE games.

The non-EE games is different... as the .exe needs to be patched, and the Infinity Animations patching took care of that, but the EE games can use the animation files without patching the .exe .

Yes, I was wondering if keeping the prefex from IA intact was necessary.. I'll change that once I get it to work.

But unless you're implying that the EE games cant handle a µ character, I doubt this is the reason it doesn't work?

#4 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:36 AM

K, you also need to make a sound .2da file for the animation. Do you have that ?

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:38 AM

Yes, sorry forgot about that.. it is inside my animations folder. (It is still the same file as the one ToBEX uses, right?)

#6 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:42 AM

Hold on a second..

I just noticed that for whatever reason NI reads the name of my bams in the override as Mxxx.bam instead of µXXX. Not sure if that is related or not but I'll re-try installing without that character.

Maybe it is as simple as that.

#7 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:50 AM

Changed the prefix and used an other animation slot (from the list linked in the first post) just to be sure. Still not working. :(

APPEND ~animate.ids~ ~0xE240 WEREBEAR_D2~ UNLESS ~^0xE240~  //write animate.ids
APPEND ~anisnd.ids~ ~0xE240 UBWB      CGAMEANIMATIONTYPE_WEREBEAR_D2~ UNLESS ~^0xE240~  //write anisnd.ids
APPEND ~EXTANIM.2DA~ ~57920  0 1 1 0 0 1 47 0 0 NONE NONE NONE 6 3 UBWB NONE 0 0 NONE~
APPEND ~EXTSPEED.2DA~ ~57920 7~

#8 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:57 PM

Problem solved thanks to K4thos who showed me an alternative method of adding animations using .ini files.

I'll leave a quick rundown of how to use this method for people finding this topic via Google.

What you'll need:

Your animation .bam files

A free animation slot (check out this list)

A base .ini file like this:

[Note:

[monster_icewind] works for animations in IWD style format, if your animation has a different style (bam sequencing) you'll need another version]

Spoiler

Now, rename your .ini file to *animationslotnumber*.ini (In my example E330.ini for animation slot 0xE330)

Edit the resref line in your ini file to reflect the prefix of your animation's .bam files (In my example UBWB for BAM files named UBWBxx.bam)

Append the following to animate.ids: *animationslotnumber* 'youranimationname*

(In my example

Spoiler

Copy the .ini file and your animation files into the override folder.

Edited by Ulb, 25 March 2016 - 03:25 PM.

#9 bzm

bzm
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 11:23 PM

Perhaps someone can help.

I can't figure it out. I'm trying to replace the animation of the created char(PC) in BG2EE.

When I replace e.g. my bam animations (Annah's animation from PST) name in WIGHT_GREEN - 0xEC10 slot (present in game) - then it works - animation is changed.

But when I change to another (free) slot e330, etc. I'll replace the ini - do it right - the animation is different, not Annah.

Has something changed, or maybe these slots are only for iwd?

Edit:

Ok, I manage to do it.

Edited by bzm, 02 April 2023 - 01:07 AM.