BG2EE Chloe!

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 -Aroc-

-Aroc-

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:36 AM

Please could someone make Chloe compatible with BG2EE?

#2 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:24 PM

I have converted Chloe for EET and I am currently testing it. I may add ToB contents at a later stage.

In case nobody else publishes anything with regards to the mod, it will be a matter of minutes to make it BG2EE and EET compatible in the end.

I would concentrate on contents/additional contents but not on improving her kit.

I always liked her and my own EET NPC goes along well with her (and had a lot of crossmod contents with her from old BGT that I do not want to loose). This way I have a *selfish* reason to see her again in the EE world.

Problem will be translations for new, revised/updated text, but first things first.

I initially had not planned to publish the EET version, rather support somebody who wants to keep her alive. But if there is nobody doing it, my version would be as good as anything else and at a minimum be maintaining the original content and making it useable in EE.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#3 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:18 PM

Progress report and invitation to test

Like told here http://www.shsforums...e/#entry591034, I have started to convert Chloe for EET (hopefully also useable for BG2EE as a by-product).

This is what is done until now

Spoiler

Part one is to maintain and adapt the original mod

Part two is to develop new content that is in the spirit of the original mod (hopefully) - this part does not have translation.

I do the development in EET context, the installation has the diverging files for BG2EE and will detect the correct game.

I am now looking primarily for testers to look that the BG2EE is working.

For those interested, the mod is here

https://github.com/R...hive/master.zip

Github allows constant updates of the latest tested stuff I have, means that all detected defiecencies can be corrected very fast.

PS - Github download has a master-folder, to install the mod, you extract the zip to somewhere on your computer, then copy only the setup.exe and the "Chloe" folder into your game directory and run the setup.

Edited by Roxanne, 24 November 2016 - 02:26 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#4 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:26 PM

Will you support this version also for original BG2 + BGT?

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#5 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:35 PM

Will you support this version also for original BG2 + BGT?

No.

There is the fully functioning and developed version 1.5 for the original game. I have played it several times in the BGT context myself.(Any known issues are in the fixpack for those games.)

It was made available to any interested modder over three years ago (http://www.shsforums...oe/#entry559633) without anyone picking it up.

So the issue is in upgrading it for EET (where Chloe also has a lot of interaction with my own NPC). The item upgrades etc are not even backwards compatible with the old game due to the use of new opcodes.

So, it will be status quo for the old game and my adaptation for the EE. (Like already done for a number of other mods that are no longer maintained by the original author).

PS - I split the mod installation into two parts

1. install converted original contents.

2. install new contents (optional)

Edited by Roxanne, 08 February 2018 - 11:25 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#6 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:49 PM

Understood.  Chloe NPC version 1.6 EE has been added to BiG World Setup's BG2EE/EET selection with a link to this thread; BG2/BGT will still use version 1.5.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#7 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:55 PM

Understood.  Chloe NPC version 1.6 EE has been added to BiG World Setup's BG2EE/EET selection with a link to this thread; BG2/BGT will still use version 1.5.

NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am now looking primarily for testers to look that the BG2EE is working.

This was just an invitation to test what is already there! The mod is still worked on and not even tested at all in BG2EE.

It will get its proper mod-page, readme etc once the work is fished.

The Sandrah Saga

#8 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:06 PM

I've done a quick test install in vanilla BG2EE and found two issues:

1. A spelling error in Chloe.tp2 at line 44:
COMPILE ~Chloe/EEPlain/CChloeDia.d~ -> COMPILE ~Chloe/EEPlain/ChloeDia.d~

2. The mod complains about an error in DecCR.bat where it doesn't find the label "sounds_add". I would remove the batch files completely. Enhanced Edition games support Ogg Vorbis encoded sound files natively. Simply rename the file extension from .ogg to .wav.

#9 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:18 PM

I've done a quick test install in vanilla BG2EE and found two issues:

1. A spelling error in Chloe.tp2 at line 44:
COMPILE ~Chloe/EEPlain/CChloeDia.d~ -> COMPILE ~Chloe/EEPlain/ChloeDia.d~

2. The mod complains about an error in DecCR.bat where it doesn't find the label "sounds_add". I would remove the batch files completely. Enhanced Edition games support Ogg Vorbis encoded sound files natively. Simply rename the file extension from .ogg to .wav.

Thanks for that.

Strangely enough I did not see the sound error in EET. And the files work fine.

Means to rename them to wav and just copy them into override?

Edited by Roxanne, 22 November 2016 - 02:25 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#10 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:26 PM

NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've marked it Expert.  Assuming you continue to use GitHub, it will be easy to transition the link and download once you declare it fit for general use.  If you don't want it there at all, I can remove it, but I don't see the harm?  To clarify, Chloe was not available for EE before, so nothing changes except people who use BWS will now see a red Chloe NPC for SoA/ToB line and if they select it they will get a big warning saying beware - this might break your game.

Edited by agb1, 22 November 2016 - 02:28 PM.

#11 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:27 PM

It would be great if you could integrate support for "Skip Chateau Irenicus" directly into the mod. That way you would have full control over the dungeon skipping process regarding Chloe.

Spoiler

Means to rename them to wav and just copy them into override?

Correct. You can rename them directly in the copy process (e.g. COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/Sounds/chloe0.ogg~ ~override/chloe0.wav~). And that's it.

Edited by Argent77, 22 November 2016 - 02:32 PM.

#12 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:36 PM

It would be great if you could integrate support for "Skip Chateau Irenicus" directly into the mod. That way you would have full control over the dungeon skipping process regarding Chloe.

Spoiler

Would that not require to install Chloe after your skip? I would think that such tweaks would be installed after the NPCs? (or at least the directory must already be in the game when Chloe is installed).

What I do at this moment is just to evaluate a global and if that is not present later on in the game it would tell that she was not in CI. I have done this because even with the skip mod installed, the player may decide on different ways through the dungeon after all.

Edited by Roxanne, 22 November 2016 - 02:38 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#13 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:40 PM

Spoiler

Would that not require to install Chloe after your skip? I would think that such tweaks would be installed after the NPCs? (or at least the directory must already be in the game when Chloe is installed).

Not at all. This code simply places the chloe.tph into the respective subfolder of "Skip Chateau Irenicus" where it is automatically processed when that mod is installed.

#14 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:48 PM

Can you replace the audio .bat files with this?
// convert .ogg files to .wav
LAF HANDLE_AUDIO
  STR_VAR
    audio_path = ~mymod/sounds~
    oggdec_path = ~mymod/sounds~
    //sox_path = ~mymod/sounds~
END
// convert .ogg files to .acm (BGEE) or .wav (other games)
LAF HANDLE_AUDIO
  INT_VAR
    music = 1 // if this variable is not 0 and the game is BG:EE, the audio files are given the extension .acm instead of .wav
  STR_VAR
    audio_path = ~mymod/music~
END

The mod isn't supported for BGEE anyway, so you could get rid of the second block by moving the music files into the sounds folder.  Note that either way HANDLE_AUDIO only runs oggdec on .ogg files, so the .crm files in the music folder would need to be renamed to .ogg.

Edited by agb1, 22 November 2016 - 02:48 PM.

#15 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:48 PM

Spoiler

Not at all. This code simply places the chloe.tph into the respective subfolder of "Skip Chateau Irenicus" where it is automatically processed when that mod is installed.

Maybe I did not express my concern correctly.

You probably are anticipating an install where the user first unpacks all the mods into the game directory and then runs the install (like BWS or BWP would do). I am talking of the case when there is no respective subfolder of "Skip Chateau Irenicus" by the time Chloe is installed. (Like I do it due to non-existing BWS support for EET).

The Sandrah Saga

#16 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:55 PM

Can you replace the audio .bat files with this?

// convert .ogg files to .wav
LAF HANDLE_AUDIO
  STR_VAR
    audio_path = ~mymod/sounds~
END
// convert .ogg files to .acm (BGEE) or .wav (other games)
LAF HANDLE_AUDIO
  INT_VAR
    music = 1 // if this variable is not 0 and the game is BG:EE, the audio files are given the extension .acm instead of .wav
  STR_VAR
    audio_path = ~mymod/music~
END

The mod isn't supported for BGEE anyway, so you could get rid of the second block by moving the music files into the sounds folder.  Note that either way HANDLE_AUDIO only runs oggdec on .ogg files, so the .crm files in the music folder would need to be renamed to .ogg.

I found

COPY ~Chloe/Sounds~ ~override~

easier - after I converted to ogg to wav.

The Sandrah Saga

#17 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:56 PM

You probably are anticipating an install where the user first unpacks all the mods into the game directory and then runs the install (like BWS or BWP would do). I am talking of the case when there is no respective subfolder of "Skip Chateau Irenicus" by the time Chloe is installed. (Like I do it due to non-existing BWS support for EET).

That problem could be solved by placing the SkipChateauIrenicus tph files in the override folder instead; they would do nothing if the mod isn't installed and could be retrieved in the SCI mod itself using a directory-file-regexp like this:

ACTION_BASH_FOR ~override~ ~^.*_sci.tph$~ BEGIN

INCLUDE ~%BASH_FOR_FILESPEC%~ // import *_sci.tph files

DELETE ~%BASH_FOR_FILESPEC%~ // clean up after loading

END

Edited by agb1, 22 November 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#18 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:01 PM

Yeah, "Skip Chateau Irenicus" (SCI) has to be unpacked before Chloe is installed. I'd guess the majority of players are unpacking all their mods into the game folder before starting the mod installation process.

Alternatively you can simply change the code into
ACTION_IF (NOT DIRECTORY_EXISTS ~SkipChateauIrenicus/npc~) BEGIN
  MKDIR ~SkipChateauIrenicus/npc~
END
COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/Addons/chloe_sci.tph~ ~SkipChateauIrenicus/npc/chloe.tph~
so that players who are unpacking SCI later will still be able to use it. (It shouldn't matter either way for players who don't use SCI at all.)

#19 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:12 PM

Yeah, "Skip Chateau Irenicus" (SCI) has to be unpacked before Chloe is installed. I'd guess the majority of players are unpacking all their mods into the game folder before starting the mod installation process.

Alternatively you can simply change the code into

ACTION_IF (NOT DIRECTORY_EXISTS ~SkipChateauIrenicus/npc~) BEGIN
  MKDIR ~SkipChateauIrenicus/npc~
END
COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/Addons/chloe_sci.tph~ ~SkipChateauIrenicus/npc/chloe.tph~
so that players who are unpacking SCI later will still be able to use it. (It shouldn't matter either way for players who don't use SCI at all.)

OK, even though this method would cope for all cases, I will use the one proposed initially - I think it is not adequate for one mod to create another mod's directory for the player if the player does not install the second mod by own choice.

I will use your code but I let Chloe keep the statue, i,e  this line will be deleted

ActionOverride("RChloe",DestroyItem("MISC4C"))

Thus I will have a story trigger that she was in the dungeon but missed the PC at that time. There are too many references to her knowing Irenicus, the dungeon and what is inside in the mod itself, so she must have been there herself.

This should solve it for all of us.

The Sandrah Saga

#20 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:47 AM

OK, even though this method would cope for all cases, I will use the one proposed initially - I think it is not adequate for one mod to create another mod's directory for the player if the player does not install the second mod by own choice.
I will use your code but I let Chloe keep the statue, i,e this line will be deleted
ActionOverride("RChloe",DestroyItem("MISC4C"))
Thus I will have a story trigger that she was in the dungeon but missed the PC at that time. There are too many references to her knowing Irenicus, the dungeon and what is inside in the mod itself, so she must have been there herself.

This should solve it for all of us.
Thanks. I'll remove the original file from "Skip Chateau Irenicus" in the next release.

Edited by Argent77, 23 November 2016 - 02:48 AM.