Photo

What's the difference between Ranged and Melee Spell Ability?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:41 PM

I could set a range for Melee.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

Well when you have Ranged in use you get the bonus factor from Dexterity, while the Melee uses the Strength... commonly. And then there's the ranged melee penalty that your char and the melee'ed opponents get, aka the +4 melee damage & negative 4 armor class modifier or what ever... so when you carry a Ranged weapon, you are hit more easily and you take more damage. Which is clearly not good. Well this is in items... usually the ranged vs melee doesn't really matter that much in spells as they usually last for an instant...

Edited by The Imp, 25 July 2016 - 04:15 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:19 PM

Thanks.

#4 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:29 PM

Also animations.  Ranged will simply play the "ranged" animation for the CRE+weapon, but Melee will use the overhead/backhand/thrust %s.

#5 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:20 AM

I wonder why Edwin in my game stopped doing the animations, only the finishing thrust.

#6 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:11 AM

I'm not sure what OP is asking about and what you two (Finn and Imp) are talking about is really the same though?

OP is asking about the flag used in spell abilities while you seem to talk purely about item abilities. Obviously, the spell ability flag does not change any animation and I strongly doubt that melee/ranged has any influence on hit rolls since there are generally no hit rolls for spells?

I have no clue if there is a difference or not. I always go with melee since the majority of vanilla spells use that flag.

@temnix He probably got some items with increased spell casting speed. If he's fast enough the game will skip the normal casting animation and go with the instant one.

Edited by Ulb, 27 July 2016 - 06:13 AM.

#7 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:51 AM

No, I meant spells. Maybe it's because Edwin is wearing that girdle. You know the one.

#8 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:38 PM

Ahhh, my bad. Funny, these misinterpretations!

#9 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:05 AM

Now what would be interesting to make at some point is a spell that requires a launcher. There is that box - Launcher required. And you can choose a bow. Nothing I can think of in the game uses a launcher, but I can think of that spell from Spells&Powers, Bone Arrow...