HD GUI

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 ikonomov

ikonomov
  • Modder
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 05:19 PM

Hi. First i'd like to say that BG1 with yours mod looks great for me. It's playing smooth and nice. Yet i've got some text problems. Becouse i'm playing polish version all polish letter are just gibberish. It' looks that font type you've used cannot properly show them. Any hint to resolve it ? :)

Edit. Ok... mb it's not too nice to change mods contents, but before instalation i've replaced file: normalN.bam with one from TWM_GUI - changing it's name of course.

Now it's just perfect :)

Yep, or you can read post #10 above for a few more font options, somebody already asked the same question.

#22 ikonomov

ikonomov
  • Modder
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:42 PM

Looks like DDrawCompat doesn't work for BG1 with the latest Windows 10 update, but I was able to get the game to run normally using ddwrapper.  After extracting ddwrapper.zip to the BG1 install folder I opened aqrit.cfg in Notepad and changed ForceDirectDrawEmulation = 1 and NoVideoMemory = 1.

Edited by ikonomov, 10 July 2021 - 10:53 AM.

#23 ikonomov

ikonomov
  • Modder
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 11:26 AM

Fjodi sent me a PM asking how to use a smaller font for the dialogue text, so I'll write out my reply here in case somebody else is wondering the same thing.  Following the instructions below will replace the larger font in the dialog text from the mod with the original smaller one.

1. Download and install Java.

2. Download the latest NearInfinity.

3. Open NearInfinity and go to Game>Open Game in the Menu and open CHITIN.KEY in the game's main directory.

4. Expand the BAM folder in the left panel and click on normal.bam, then click on Export>original and save it somewhere temporarily (ex. Desktop).

5. Rename normal.bam to normalN.bam and place in the override folder of BG1 or BG2 after you install my mod.

Edited by ikonomov, 07 July 2021 - 11:28 AM.

#24 -Arthas-

-Arthas-

Posted 07 July 2021 - 01:09 PM

Hello, do you still use 1280x720? I am hoping you are planning for a 1920x1080 gui..

#25 Fjodi

Fjodi
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 01:34 PM

Fjodi sent me a PM asking how to use a smaller font for the dialogue text, so I'll write out my reply here in case somebody else is wondering the same thing.  Following the instructions below will replace the larger font in the dialog text from the mod with the original smaller one.

3. Open NearInfinity and go to Game>Open Game in the Menu and open CHITIN.KEY in the game's main directory.

4. Expand the BAM folder in the left panel and click on normal.bam, then click on Export>original and save it somewhere temporarily (ex. Desktop).

5. Rename normal.bam to normalN.bam and place in the override folder of BG1 or BG2 after you install my mod.

Many thanks for your help, works like a charm.

#26 ikonomov

ikonomov
  • Modder
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 01:36 PM

Hello, do you still use 1280x720? I am hoping you are planning for a 1920x1080 gui..

If you are referring to the resolution of my monitor, no, I've been using 2560x1440 for around 10 years now.  You can read post #12 for a detailed explanation as to why it is the resolution I chose for the mod.  I don't plan on making a 1080p, 1440p or a 4k GUI for BG1 and BG2 unless somebody decides to do an overhaul with every single graphic in the game to at least 2x the current image size.

#27 ikonomov

ikonomov
  • Modder
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 01:37 PM

You are welcome :)

#28 sweetpotato

sweetpotato
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 08:01 AM

Any chance we could make the font size adjustable? Its a little big for me.

#29 ikonomov

ikonomov
  • Modder
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 06:27 PM

This is a great idea.  In one of the first versions of the mod I had the original font and the main text field on the bottom was the same width (640 pixels) as the game at 640x480.  I then decided to make it the same width (800 pixels) as what BG2 has at 800x600 and increased the size of the font somewhat proportional to the increase in width.  So that approximately same number of letters would fit on one line at 800 pixels as at 640 pixels with the original font.  The increase in size is not a whole lot, only about 25%.  The problem is that making the font bigger makes it taller and since the text fields have only been increased in size horizontally but not vertically less number of lines can now fit.  For example with the now increased font 5 lines of text take the same height as 7 lines of text with the original font, even though there are about the same number of letters on one line.

You can read my post #23 above with a detailed explanation how you can make the text field use the original font, but perhaps my decision to make the font larger was not ideal.  Before making the mod I used to play BG2 at 1366x768 and having the original font at the stretched 1366 pixels text fields definitely made it harder to read those much longer lines of text, but at 800 pixels the original font might be easy enough to read with the obvious advantage of being able to see more text and having to do less scrolling.  I'll try to make a new version soon with the option to choose the original or my larger font, and will also adjust the text fields' vertical dimensions back to their original, since I had to increase them slightly in order for the larger font to show properly.

#30 ikonomov

ikonomov
  • Modder
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 12:52 AM

The new font added by the mod lacks Polish characters. Can I fix this somehow?

Hi. First i'd like to say that BG1 with yours mod looks great for me. It's playing smooth and nice. Yet i've got some text problems. Becouse i'm playing polish version all polish letter are just gibberish. It' looks that font type you've used cannot properly show them. Any hint to resolve it ? :)

Edit. Ok... mb it's not too nice to change mods contents, but before instalation i've replaced file: normalN.bam with one from TWM_GUI - changing it's name of course.

Now it's just perfect :)

I just uploaded new versions with the option to choose the original font.  This should make the mod compatible with the various language versions of the game.  In addition, I have made small adjustments to the dialog text boundary boxes to optimize text visibility.