Photo

Dialog.tlk problems... or something

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Evernex99

Evernex99
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

Ok so I just made a post a few days ago and EvilMax was kind enough to help me out. However, now I have another problem. Before I get into that let me preface with the fact that I have installed big world setups before using the bigworldinstall.bat. I am attempting to do so again. I have followed all the instructions in the big world project pdf file v15.6. I have disabled UAC and have the bg2 installed to C://games/baldur's gate 2. With help from EvilMax I fixed the fact that the bigworldinstall.bat wasn't recognizing that I had the GoG version of Bg2 installed. So my current issue is that almost none of the text from the mods is installing. None of the Kits have names or descriptions in the character creation screens. I can select them and appropriately get special abilities unique to that class (I can tell by the fact that new/different innate abilities are present). However I don't know the names of these abilities because they don't have any text associated with them. I thought 'maybe its just the kits that are the issue.' I started a game in ToB and have the longer road installed. But when Ellisime comes to chat with me I can't see any dialog. I can actually select 1 or 2 for responses at appropriate times, but I have no idea what I am saying because again there is no text. I must be doing something wrong and I'm assuming that it is with the dialog.tlk file. With my previous big world installs I have never run into the issues I am having now.

I have attached my weidu.log file in case that is helpful. I've been putting off playing bg2 for a couple years due to busyness with school and what not and I was really looking forward to building and checking out bg2 again. I'd appreciate any advice on this subject. I should note that I am using a customized install with the individual.bat file. I can attach that also if that is useful. All I have done though is change several components of the mods that are installed. I have tried deleting several kit files that I had wanted to try (like derat's unused kits), thinking that somehow that was part of the problem since there is a translation involved. But that doesn't seem to fix it. Also, the dialog.tlk file increases in size from 8mb to like 19mb, so I know that it is being modified. All mods install correctly and I get no error messages during the install, so I am really at a loss as to what is occurring. Thanks for any help.

Attached Files

Edited by Evernex99, 22 August 2016 - 05:51 PM.

#2 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:28 PM

In your baldur.ini, under the [Alias] section, are the paths pointing to the right folder for your game? If you cloned the game to a new location but didn't change those values, then mods could have installed correctly, but the game would be reading from the unmodified files in the other directory.

#3 Evernex99

Evernex99
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:38 PM

I believe so. I installed from the GoG galaxy program directly into that folder. Under [Alias] it shows:

HD0:=C:\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\
CD1:=C:\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\\data\
CD2:=C:\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\\data\
CD3:=C:\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\\data\
CD4:=C:\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\\data\
CD5:=C:\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\\data\
CD6:=C:\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\\data\

Using the GoG galaxy 'was' a new way of installing the game. I know that that had messed up the gogame.dll file. But I can't imagine it had modified the dialog.tlk to make it cause problems. The big world install is clearly modifying the dialog.tlk file because it increases in size. There are new abilities with the new kits, I just can't see any of the text with it. The graphics work with it and everything. It seems so odd. I'll attach my individual.bat file to my original post just in case that is useful somehow (I know that is a lot to wade through, I have looked through it twice and installed like 5 times trying to figure out the problem).

Edit: Just kidding, it doesn't allow me to upload my individual.bat because it is a batch files, which makes sense of course.

Edited by Evernex99, 22 August 2016 - 06:40 PM.

#4 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:14 PM

it doesn't allow me to upload my individual.bat because it is a batch files, which makes sense of course.

It's a .bat file, which allows you to open the file with Notepad and copy-paste the text, or if nothing else, remember that it always allows you to package it as a .zip and upload that. Usually, no forum ever allows you to upload any files that are not in a very restricted list... a .zip is the most common in everyone in them.

Edited by The Imp, 23 August 2016 - 03:19 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 Evernex99

Evernex99
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:09 AM

Good point The Imp. I'll upload a .rar version of my individual.bat file. I'm also going to upload a .rar version of my dialog.tlk in case that is useful. Attached are also some pictures that I took while in game demonstrating what is occurring. Is it possible that like I have an outdated version of the lolfixer or something similar, since that will modify dialog? Or could I be using a big mod like BP, which adds a bunch of dialog, but it is more for Bg2EE? Because I am not using the EE version.

So the first picture shows my class/kit selection screen which is blank. Oddly though (just noticed) the duelist is there, which is a new kit from a mod. It is the only one that shows up, but it doesn't have a description. Second pic is where ellisime is coming to talk with me and it is blank of course. Also just noticed this time that at the end she says farewell, though idk if that is a new line or one reused from the original game, but at least there is some text there. Thanks again for any advice on this. 

Attached Files

Edited by Evernex99, 23 August 2016 - 05:13 AM.

#6 -Rick Rickson-

-Rick Rickson-

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:44 AM

This sounds a lot like the [Alias] section of your .ini being misdirected to an unmodded install, like Mike suggested. I would just make 100% sure that you are running the bgmain.exe from the folder it points to in the .ini. If you are running a different bgmain.exe than the one listed under [Alias] in the .ini, just copy the file path to the folder containing the bgmain.exe you wish to use into the hd0 section. So if for example you find out that bgmain.exe actually is in C:\Program Files(x86)\GOG Games\BG2SOA, replace HD0:=C:\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\ with HD0:=C:\Program Files(x86)\GOG Games\BG2SOA. Maybe you have another problem and I'm wrong, but if your dialog.tlk was messed up you'd probably be seeing nonsensical text (from completely separate conversations with different characters an/or PC responses coming from NPCs) all over the place in game instead of blank text. Here's an example of a (slightly) messed up dialog.tlk -zerpalepr.png

#7 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:38 PM

I believe so. I installed from the GoG galaxy program directly into that folder. Under [Alias] it shows:
HD0:=C:\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\
CD1:=C:\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\\data\
CD2:=C:\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\\data\
CD3:=C:\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\\data\
CD4:=C:\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\\data\
CD5:=C:\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\\data\
CD6:=C:\Games\Baldurs Gate 2\\data\
I don't know if it's a/the problem, but there shouldn't be doubled backslashes in the locations.

Edited by Fiann of the Silver Hand, 23 August 2016 - 01:39 PM.

#8 Evernex99

Evernex99
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:58 AM

So I don't have any other installs, just the downloaded install from GoG. I double checked that the shortcut was directed towards the bgmain.exe that was in that path shown under the [Alias] section and that there is a bgmain in the c:\games/baldurs gate 2 and it is. So I completely uninstalled and reinstalled Bg2. Prior to installing the big world project again I checked the .ini file and it doesn't have the double back slashes under the [Alias] section as Fiann noted. I'll check the bigworldinstall.bat and check to see if it is adding that under the .ini, or at least change it back afterwords since, that shouldn't be in place. Hopefully that is the problem. I'll let you all know if that fixes it. Thanks everyone for taking a look at this.

#9 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:18 AM

I'll check the bigworldinstall.bat and check to see if it is adding that under the .ini, ..

That would never happen. Now the BiG World might install the Infinity Engine Game Launcher, which has the remote possibility to make that happen, but it's far more likely that you just edited the .ini by hand and that's what made this happen.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#10 Evernex99

Evernex99
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:35 PM

Gotcha, The Imp. The only reason why I suggested it was because in the big world project pdf it mentions that the bigworldinstall.bat will fix your baldur.ini to have the correct path to where the game is going (under the [Alias] section). Of course if it was having problems like modifying it incorrectly I'm sure many others would be having the same problem. And I can certainly understand that many time problems with installs are user errors (it is certainly likely that I have done something wrong here). However I can confirm that I have not modified the baldur.ini during any of the 6 different install attempts I have tried.

*Except* for this latest one where I removed the double back slashes like I had put in my previous post, but that was after the bigworldinstall.bat had run. Unfortunately that didn't fix anything. I checked the baldur.ini prior to the doing my big world install and then after, and something during the process adds the double backslashes; but again, removing those didn't end up fixing the game, so it is probably a moot point. I also tried to run the game in admin mode from the bgmain.exe that is inside my bg2 folder, not any type of shorcut, and that didn't change anything either. Is it because I need to be using big world setup? Because I am not using that. I am just following the instructions in the bigworldproject pdf file and executing the bigworldinstall.bat myself. The funny thing is, I have done installs like this before and never had a problem. Is there anything else helpful that I can attach here that I am not thinking of? Or more information to provide? 

Of course I have modified the individual.bat. Maybe I need to do more installs and remove several mods at a time to see if any of them is the culprit. Could that have resulted in such a widespread of dialog/text problems? Because again the mod material is in place. Like I have the longer road installed and Ellisime comes and talks to me just like that mod should, just without the dialog. Not trying to beat a dead horse here, I'm sure that you read through my post and understand the situation. To me it seems odd that a mod can be installed but that just the dialog or text is what is messed up you know? I don't understand how that could happen across a bunch of different mods, but other portions of the mod are installed correctly.

Edited by Evernex99, 24 August 2016 - 04:37 PM.

#11 micbaldur

micbaldur

Retired Perkele, Ultimate BWP player

• 1692 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:01 PM

Zip/rar BiG World Debug.txt (it might be big file) and attach it here.

CHARNAMEs excellent adventures in the world of BWP expert-install here

Thanks to Leonardo Watson for making this possible

#12 Evernex99

Evernex99
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:55 AM

Ok, I tried another install but with using the regular GoG downloader. I had been using the GoG galaxy thing (its new and in beta), but there were other .dll files in there and I didn't know if that could affect things, so went back to what had worked before. That also didn't change anything. I'll attach my Big World Debug here. Thanks.

Attached Files

Edited by Evernex99, 25 August 2016 - 03:55 AM.

#13 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:32 AM

At the start:
[Setup-bg2fixpack.exe] WeiDU version 23900
--- a long scroll down ---
[Setup-Area_Patcher.exe] WeiDU version 23800

And that's not the only 238 weidu version in the log. Seems bad to me. Fish come to mind.

#14 -Evernex99-

-Evernex99-

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:52 AM

Thanks for taking a look at that TheImp. Please forgive my ignorance here, but does that mean that I have like two versions of weidu or something?  I never downloaded another version of weidu or anything. I don't recall the .pdf saying I should, but perhaps I missed it. When you say 'fish,' do you mean something seems off with the whole install? When I have tried any reinstalls, the uninstallation deletes the entire folder, so when I redownload from GoGI is should be squeky clean. I downloaded the mod I am using from https://kerzenburg.b...eu/bwpmods.php. Which I had thought was where you needed to go.

Once I had the mods downloaded I extracted them or installed them to a different folder and then pasted that whole folder into my baldur's gate 2 folder. But that had been in the instructions in the pdf file (or to use the bigworldinstall.bat unpacker, but I just did it manually). Figured that step was implied when I mentioned I followed the instructions on the pdf file and didn't use the BWS or anything. That could be another source of error of course. I didn't think it was because all the mods install without error messages or anything.

#15 Evernex99

Evernex99
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:54 AM

That last post was from me, I thought I was still logged into the site.

Do you all think I should try the whole thing over? Like redownload all the mods and give it a fresh go?

Edited by Evernex99, 25 August 2016 - 04:57 AM.

#16 micbaldur

micbaldur

Retired Perkele, Ultimate BWP player

• 1692 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:58 AM

Problem was not what i have encountered earlier but Imp is right 2 different weidu's (autoupdate not working?) is bad thing.

I'll leave sorting this out to Imp's capable hands. :P

CHARNAMEs excellent adventures in the world of BWP expert-install here

Thanks to Leonardo Watson for making this possible

#17 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:39 AM

Thanks for taking a look at that TheImp. Please forgive my ignorance here, but does that mean that I have like two versions of weidu or something? I never downloaded another version of weidu or anything.

Well, see all the mods the BW tools download are weidu mods, and so come either with their own renamed weidu.exe or borrow someone else's. It's the setup-modname.exe, and as the software has been updated last 10 years or so, it has a build in update function that copies the most up to date version of the file and names it as all the other files while deleting them somehow(I don't pretend to know the exact things in this), anyways it can be controlled, and the BWS tools need to use the controls to shorten the install check time and still have the latest version in usage so all the mods work as the updates bring more code for general ease of use. Yeah, reading a line while 20 would do the same thing in the old versions is an "ease of use" thing.

OK, so you used the ...install.bat, which is more likely apparently to give this. Also it doesn't log in all the things the BWS does, which is why I was trying to find things that were not present. And was about to make an ass of myself by requesting the ALIEN for things that were present already. Anyways, glad I waited. :devil:

I would advice you Evernex99 to try and move onto the use of teh BWS instead. Not that it is clear on every single thing either, but it's the younger but better brother of the BW series, and it's still being updated, 4 hours is a bit better than say 8 months that the BWInstall.bat was updated.

Of course if you are brave, you won't listen but make a macgyver a fix with a duct tape.

I'll leave sorting this out to Imp's capable hands. :P

Erhm, my hands aren't very good at this either. But if one copy'es the extracted mod files to the game directory and runs a .bat file that has this line of code in it, it should make ensure that the .exes update themselves, of course a copy of a weidu.exe also needs to be there as that's what is used to do the thing, but any version will do, so the easiest way to get one is to copu one of the setup-modname.exe's and rename it as weidu.exe:

weidu --update-all

To make the .bat file, you just need to make a new .txt file, and then edit it with Notepad for example, copy the code in it and then use the "Save As..." command and then name the file how ever one likes as long as it ends with the .bat extension and then one just need to disable the .txt extension.

Edited by The Imp, 27 August 2016 - 09:17 PM.

#18 Evernex99

Evernex99
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for the input. I apologize if I didn't make it clear I was executing from bigworldinstall. Initially I figured I'd just go with what I was familiar with, but I'm sure BWS is better. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

#19 Evernex99

Evernex99
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:51 PM

Hey just wanted to give an update that switching to BWS worked great. All the text showing up just fine, whew. Should have done that earlier. I was curious though, the BWS uses spell revisions 4 which is still kind of in beta. I didn't see an option to use spell revisions v3 or wasn't able to 'add' the mod with the add function within the BWS. Does that matter? I was thinking spell revisions 3 would be better with the scs AI since so many mages use spell immunity and they got rid of that spell with spell revisions 4 from what I saw. Anyway, I could start another thread with that subject if more appropriate. My main purpose in posting was to say that I got it working and thanks again for the input.

#20 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:51 PM

Does that matter? I was thinking spell revisions 3 would be better with the scs AI since so many mages use spell immunity and they got rid of that spell with spell revisions 4 from what I saw.

Actually no they didn't. They just renamed the different kinds of spell immunity spells(school) as different spells. Kinda, and then edited their effected spells to make them make sense to be on different levels etc. In a sort of a way.

And they also add things the SCS needs to know this fact. Somehow. The specifics escape me.