Photo

BWS/BWP issues and questions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gelleck

Gelleck
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:04 PM

Hey, so I've got a question and an issue in regards to trying to set up a BiG World Project megamod installation with BiG World Setup that I'm hoping someone could help me with.  My question is that, while I was able to complete BWS seemingly without any issues, I'm kind of confused as to where the mods and their components that are to be installed are listed.  You see, I noticed that in going through the BWS, there are a number of additional mods included that are not in the most recent BWP Guide pdf, such as the Tweaks Anthology and Multiclass Multikit mods.  Now, I assumed that after completing BWS that it would have modified the BiG World Install's individual.bat file to reflect those updates or something similar.  In checking the individual.bat file afterwards, however, I found that it was completed unaltered, which would seem to suggest that if I tried to proceed, that I would get a BWP install according to the BWP Guide, rather than what was shown in BWS.  In short, my question is that are the new mods and their components listed in another file, or if not, then how are they supposed to be installed?

As for my problem, despite my confusing regarding my above-mentioned query, I decided to try to continue through using BiG World Install.bat, as per the directions given to me by BWS.  After reaching the part where it checks for the required files, however, it says that Baldurdash is missing and as it's required, it cannot proceed.  The thing is, it says this even though the BDash.exe file is in my BGII - SoA directory.  Trying different versions of Baldurdash and trying to rename the file all had no effect.  Being as I cannot start the installation if the BiG World Install doesn't recognize the presence of Baldurdash, I really don't know what to do.  Can someone please help me out with all of this?

Edit: Fixed the formatting; I was trying to make it easier to read by double-spacing, but obviously that didn't work out lol.

Edited by Gelleck, 05 September 2016 - 01:00 AM.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:12 PM

As for my problem, despite my confusing regarding my above-mentioned query, I decided to try to continue through using BiG World Install.bat,...

You would have done better had you gone and selected the "Baldur's Gate 2/Baldur's Gate Trilogy Full Customization" or something very near to that instead of the "Install.bat only" option, in the second selection page of the whole program. (The first being the language.)

That's the real BWS. Not some compilation that was able to install one time in January, with out dated mods.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Gelleck

Gelleck
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 01:11 AM

Ah, okay, so THAT's what I want to select, then.  I wish BWS or it's instructions were a little clearer on the differences between the options, but it's good to know which one I'm suppose to go with, now. Thank you so much for informing me of this, especially what with the botched formatting job I did in my first post.

#4 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:47 AM

I wish BWS or it's instructions were a little clearer on the differences between the options

It would require total rewrite of the application design because BWP/BWS/Install.ba/Constom is to confusing for newcomers. No amount of text can improve user experience.

Well, you could set the BWInstall.bat option under all the other options ... and set the name to feature "not recommended" or something.. it's just a text rewrite, all the other bells and whistles are the same still.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 Gelleck

Gelleck
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:44 PM

Well, so I went through the Full Customization option, and the setup at least made a lot more sense. . .however, in trying to actually install all the mods, I've encountered a lot of difficulties.  For starters, even though BWS recognizes the presence of Baldurdash during the download and extraction phases, it then fails to notice it during the installation.  Whether I put the .exe into my BGII - SoA directory, extract the contents of Baldurdash into said directory, or do both, BWS simply refuses to recognize that Baldurdash exists.  What's more, if I try to manually run BDash175.exe while BWS is paused to install it, that fails too, saying that it can't find the BGII - SoA directory and has to be present in it, even though that's exactly where it is. . .so I have no idea what is going on with that.

However, Baldurdash hasn't been the only thing causing me problems.  With some of the mods included in my BWS setup, specifically Tome And Blood, NSCPortraits and Smiling Imp Banter Pack, BWS says that they have dependencies that simply don't exist in BWS.  For example, Tome and Blood says that it is installed at the same time as PaleMaster, but PaleMaster is nowhere to be found in BWS.  Likewise, the alternate NSCPortraits for Ascalon's Breagar naturally requires Breagar, but one cannot install Breagar as there is no option for it in BWS, and the Shar-Teel w/Azrael component of Smiling Imp requires MTS Crappack, but it also has no installation option in BWS.  Now, I could try pausing the installation at the points where the missing mods would normally be installed, but considering as any mods that I've tried to manually install while BWS is paused have resulted in the same kinds of errors that I mentioned above with Baldurdash, I don't think it's possible for me to include those missing mods.

Now, another option I've considered is just trying to install BWP by hand (not recommended, I know).  With that, though, I made even less progress; when I tried to run the BWP Trimpack after extracting all my mods to my BGII - SoA folder, the command prompt stated that it was processing the necessary changes.  What actually ended up happening, however, is that as soon as the command prompt would display that message, another prompt window would pop up, yet it would be completely blank.  Then, both windows would just sit there, doing absolutely nothing until I close the blank window, then bringing up a message in the first window asking if I want to skip the processing.  If I say no, the blank window pops right back up, and if I say yes, it then says it's processing the next mod, yet the exact same things happen as with the first one.

I don't know why BWS and it's associated files are being so weird like this, but I really want to be able to use it to set up a mega-mod installation, so if anyone has any useful information/tips for me, I'd really appreciate your help!

P.S.

I tried to upload the BWS-Selection file for what I've been trying to do with BWS, but the website wouldn't let me, saying that I'm not permitted to upload that kind of file, so that's why I haven't included it here with everything else.

#6 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:34 PM

Well, so I went through the Full Customization option, and the setup at least made a lot more sense. . .however, in trying to actually install all the mods, I've encountered a lot of difficulties. For starters...
Is this a regular BG2 game, or a BG2EE/BG1EE install ?
You know, installing all the mod in in Skyrim is not possible either. So you might want to first be reasonable and try and get other things installed first.

If you actually choose the 3rd pick in this picture:
BrwRUvx.png
It can't be a EE game, and the Tome and Blood mods content should be somewhat EE exclusive.
Certain mod components now work with installations of BG2, BGT and TuTu, as well as the Enhanced Editions.
Means "Not all of them."
but considering as any mods that I've tried to manually install while BWS is paused have resulted in the same kinds of errors that I mentioned above with Baldurdash, I don't think it's possible for me to include those missing mods.
Or you are just doing something horribly wrong at the try to install them, like for example trying it on an incompatible game. The .debug files are there for a reason, they should tell exactly what's happening at each stage of the install and looking through them should tell what's going off. You of course need to learn to read them, but ... that's probably besides the point... as you are trying too much anyways. But you can open the files with Notepad and try to read them.
tried to upload the BWS-Selection file for what I've been trying to do with BWS, but the website wouldn't let me, saying that I'm not permitted to upload that kind of file, so that's why I haven't included it here with everything else.
Yeah, usually one can't just upload files to a site, especially if the maintainer knows his stuff and assumes that people go by and up/down-load things they should not, but you can upload .zip files to most sites. And know that. Is this a news for you, cause it sure sounds like, you don't know what you are actually doing at all... making it even less likely to be able to install all mods, cause "I WANT everything".

Edited by The Imp, 08 September 2016 - 09:48 PM.

#7 Gelleck

Gelleck
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:01 PM

Well, I've been trying to setup a BGT installation with the GoG versions of Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga and Baldur's Gate 2 Complete, if that's what you mean.  I will say that I have performed mega-mod installations before with Baldur's Gate, both 1 and 2, so it's not like I don't know what I'm doing, though it's true that I've never performed an installation on the scale of the BWP before.  

I admit that I didn't know that the Blood and Tomes mod was an Enhanced Edition exclusive, though that begs the question as to why it's included in the regular, non-EE options, if it's only for EE games.  Are there any other mods (other than the Scales of Balance weapon styles component, which I already made sure not to include) which are likewise EE-only, yet provided as legitimate options for a regular BGT/BWP installation?

Edited by Gelleck, 08 September 2016 - 11:01 PM.

#8 Gelleck

Gelleck
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:27 PM

BWS wasn't updated to support Baldurdash 1.75 because this problem: http://forums.blackw...=5337&pid=54810 but I will update it for the last time soon.

Ah, okay, that makes sense.  I'll look forward to once BWS has been updated for it, then.

There should be is Ascalon's Breagar (but only for german) available for classic games. But if you didn't select Ascalon's Breagar, why on earth you selected Portraits for it?

Wait, there isn't an english translation for Breagar?  Even though there's one for the older 6.09 version of it?

There is no more "MTS Crappack 14. Install Azrael and add the scroll to summon him to Irenicus' Dungeon." in BWS, I can't find any info why it was removed, but surely there was a reason for it and I won't add it again only for finding out that it broke something  ;)

As the Smiling Imp option for Azrael + Shar-Teel is available, I assumed that the lack of MTS Crappack was a mistake; if it would break something in the installation, though, then I can certainly remove the related Smiling Imp component.

PaleMaster is only for EE so this dependency should not be active when there is no PaleMaster, fixed now: https://bitbucket.or...2350299b6dc59b9

Awesome, thank you!  Also, thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me, you've been really helpful!

#9 FixTesteR

FixTesteR
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:04 PM

Hi there! I hope I can ask questions in this thread, otherwise I'll move to a new one :)

BWS is supposed to make an error ringing sound, but I don't hear it (win7). Is the problem on my end? Or haven't the REAL errors come yet? :) I will be more mindful during the next installation that will happen at any moment :)

When I test the mods, here's what I get:
-Summary-
These selected mods are missing from the downloads folder (includes archives with unexpected size, which are probably old versions):

BiG World Project (BWP) (Translations and sounds)
Wheels of Prophecy
Refinements
Scales of Balance

Finished.

But I have them on PC in the BWS DL folder! Then I test the availability of the downloads:

BiG World Project (BWP)
This file is included in another archive.

BiG World Project (BWP)
http://www.shsforums...-world-english/
Hint: The name or size of the download has changed (BiG World Project v15.7 English.pdf / 3692575 > BiG World Project v15.6 English.pdf / 3084349).
This should be an updated version.
Archive found (2.94 MB)

Wheels of Prophecy
http://lynxlynx.info...heelsOfProphecy
Archive found (3.98 MB)

Refinements
http://lynxlynx.info...refinements
Archive found (9 MB)

Scales of Balance
http://lynxlynx.info..._of_Balance
Archive found (2.36 MB)

When I List the required URLs, here's the result:

BiG World Project (BWP)
http://www.shsforums...-world-english/ <-- this is a pdf file, but it's not a new version as BWS claims. But do I really need a pdf? :)

And these 3 are the current update version I already have on PC, but BWS does not recognize them:
Wheels of Prophecy
http://lynxlynx.info...heelsOfProphecy
Refinements
http://lynxlynx.info...refinements
Scales of Balance
http://lynxlynx.info..._of_Balance

They are named: WheelsOfProphecy-latest, refinements-latest, Scales_of_Balance-latest (all zipped),

If BWS does not recognize them now, will it recognize them during installation?

I will still begin my installation now and will get back to you with more info :)

Already coming back to EDIT:

Just wanted to let you know that if BWS is located in a DIR that has letters like č anywhere in the name, then mod selection screen, the one with + and - and ticks, does not work properly, it has some +'s missing etc. BWS actually attempted to create a separate DIR replacing č with c.

This happened the 2nd time now: If a desktop shortcut Big World - BWS from the previous installation is not deleted when you start a clean installation (in the same folder as before, but wiped clean), then BWS won't let you past this question:

The instance was successfully created.
Shall a link be placed on your desktop?
Enter [y]es or [n]o.

The field into which you should type "y" is grayed out. Thus "Send entered text" is also grayed out. I will now force quit BWS, since X is unresponsive. I used task manager and ended AutoIt3 - or something like that. (It had 32 next to it. Hopefully that does not conflict with 64 bit win7 :D) So now I'm starting all over. Of course I "updated if needed" :)

Btw, BWS keeps changing the Baldur's Gate II directory path (where he checks for bg2 files) into a path that leads to (newly created) Big World folder. Maybe because it detects bg2 in there since I do a separate folder installation to keep bg1 and bg2 intact.

So now that the shortcut wasn't there, I was able to move past that.

Since I am not touching the original bg folders, I will ignore this: It seems the "BiG World Setup" is running for the first time. It is recommended that you create a backup of your clean patched and once-started BG2 installation.

I have turned off AV, but I have to admit I am not following this advice: "Before doing that, close all open Internet connections for safety reasons."

Edited by FixTesteR, 13 September 2016 - 11:42 PM.

#10 FixTesteR

FixTesteR
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:05 AM

So now I am in the middle of the installation. This is something I got the 2nd time around:

SKIPPING: [The BG1 NPC Project: Add Non-Joinable NPC portraits to quests and dialogues]
    BG1 NPC Required Changes component is not installed.
The BG1 NPC Project: Add Non-Joinable NPC portraits to quests and dialogues (BG1 NPC Project) was skipped.

Should I contact the mod author in this case? I've no idea what I'm doing wrong.

I'm continuing with the installation.

#11 FixTesteR

FixTesteR
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:03 AM

Thank you ALIEN. My installation is complete and didn't have other errors. At the end I read: "When [error] happens, please go to www.shsforums.net and create a new thread in the Mega Mod Help forum to report your problem." :) Will do it next time. Also, I'll get back to you when I test whether the game is ok. Got some work to do beforehand.

EDIT: So far it seems, since installation was O.K., that there weren't any problems with not finding wheels of prophecy and the other mods in my DL folder before the installation. Guess BWS recognized them later on. Later then :)

Edited by FixTesteR, 14 September 2016 - 02:07 AM.