Photo

Can a Bard Song go through wall (or corner)?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Himself

Himself

CEO of the ENDLESS WAVES OF BAD DOGGIE

• 230 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:05 PM

Heya all again! :)

Trying to 'fix' some bard classes as well as making a new kit, anyway, it seems the Bard Songs will not effect allies (or enemies in Jester case) unless they have visual contact with the Bard when he/she is performing.

Does anyone know if theres any selection for the field "projectile animation" (I'm seeing it on DLTCEP) that causes the effects to ignore visual obstruction?

(Affecting enemies through walls is problematic, but for allies it should be no problem. Would be great for enemies as well if there was a "pathfinding check option", to prevent affecting enemies beyond a certain range in foot/moving distance, because its pretty stupid for enemies to be protected from a song effect when they're around a corner, virtually a few feet away from the Bard, just not within visual range.)

Edited by Himself, 18 September 2016 - 05:27 PM.

...to be isn't important, we're no longer than we're :)

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:53 PM

What did you say ?

Aka, if the bard is behind a wall that a fireball can't go through, I shouldn't allow his singing to get through either.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:28 PM

ToBEx has it externalized to bardsong.spl.  I know Rogue Rebalancing works with EE, and customizes the songs, so it should work there, too.  So yes, the bard song can be changed to whatever range and target filter any other spell could have.

Edited by Fiann of the Silver Hand, 18 September 2016 - 11:59 PM.

#4 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:25 AM

ToBEx has it externalized to bardsong.spl. I know Rogue Rebalancing works with EE, and customizes the songs, so it should work there, too. So yes, the bard song can be changed to whatever range and target filter any other spell could have.
Nope. The bard songs are just like any other spell, it just has a very minute difference.. The original game had them as .spl's too, the ToBEx might have externalized something else than a .spl file cause doing so archives nothing new. Maybe it's "bardsong.2da", perhaps, but definitely not a "bardsong.spl".
BUT: Have you made a fireball or any other area of effect spell that reaches behind a wall or a (closed) door ?
Cause if you have not, you might want to stay silent in suggesting on how that can be done, and do the testing first. And then suggest.

Edited by The Imp, 19 September 2016 - 12:34 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:30 AM

I'd also be interested in knowing whether the Passes Walls flag in the projectile properties works too or not. Or perhaps Himself wants to make the song an area-wide effect, i.e. something that effects everyone on the map? Through Global effects, outside of Spell Abilities? It's not implausible for a song to be heard everywhere in a city block or on a dungeon floor. I'd like to know more about Global effects, if that's what he intends.

Edited by temnix, 19 September 2016 - 10:31 AM.

#6 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:51 PM

ToBEx has it externalized to bardsong.spl. I know Rogue Rebalancing works with EE, and customizes the songs, so it should work there, too. So yes, the bard song can be changed to whatever range and target filter any other spell could have.
Nope. The bard songs are just like any other spell, it just has a very minute difference.. The original game had them as .spl's too, the ToBEx might have externalized something else than a .spl file cause doing so archives nothing new. Maybe it's "bardsong.2da", perhaps, but definitely not a "bardsong.spl".
BUT: Have you made a fireball or any other area of effect spell that reaches behind a wall or a (closed) door ?
Cause if you have not, you might want to stay silent in suggesting on how that can be done, and do the testing first. And then suggest.

From ToBEx readme:

Bard Song

TobEx externalises the standard Bard Song effects to bardsong.spl. This allows modders to customise the standard set of Bard Song effects.

I've also got bardsong.spl in every install I have with ToBEx, and it is not present in unmodded.

I never addressed "going through walls", I simply said a bard song can do whatever a spell can do.

Not only are you completely ass-on-head wrong far too often considering how long and how often you post on these boards, you're also smug about it.  That's a terrible combination for such a tiny community of people trying to help others.

Edited by Fiann of the Silver Hand, 19 September 2016 - 12:54 PM.

#7 Himself

Himself

CEO of the ENDLESS WAVES OF BAD DOGGIE

• 230 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:40 AM

I'd also be interested in knowing whether the Passes Walls flag in the projectile properties works too or not. Or perhaps Himself wants to make the song an area-wide effect, i.e. something that effects everyone on the map? Through Global effects, outside of Spell Abilities? It's not implausible for a song to be heard everywhere in a city block or on a dungeon floor. I'd like to know more about Global effects, if that's what he intends.

I remember (if not mistaken) from vanilla BG2 that "detect evil" spell would show in the text box every creature in the current map that has evil alignment, so its probably a sort of area global effecting everyone outside of party, I faintly remember altering it once to a different purpose. You might wanna start from there if thats close to what you wish.

The Big Picture mod (by Horred) had a series of scripting shouts where monsters would alert their nearby allies, it used a pathfinding check to measure max distance in which creatures would respond (if i'm not mistaken). But anyway, involving scripting is too much engine stress for something that should be simple like the reach of a bard song. Too bad the game doesn't have a proper mechanic to deal with mostly anything relating to sound, altough met with limited use, it would be a good advancement.

Edited by Himself, 20 September 2016 - 10:43 AM.

...to be isn't important, we're no longer than we're :)

#8 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:46 PM

Well, as I said, you can propose without it seeming too much of a stretch that a bard song would be heard everywhere in an area. And behind the walls impenetrable to fireballs, certainly. Sound spreads. How to accomplish that? There is something you might be able to check-uncheck in the projectile/area of effect properties, or just have an Everyone-targeted effect. It's Global Effects that are giving me trouble, and I'm interested in finding uses for them, that's why I asked. But there is a different way to have your spl affect everyone in the area - you just make a regular effect inside a spell ability, then choose Everyone as the target.