Photo

Sandrah Saga for EET (Bug and Support Forum)

EET Mega Mod

• Please log in to reply
1095 replies to this topic

#421 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

An issue already discussed before and something I removed intentionally after the BGT experience. My mod is designed for a mega-mod installation. Such installs in most cases contain the big tweak/spell/item revision etc mods as well. I never found two installations in which things worked exactly in the same way. Descriptions are never correct and tweak mods do not provide updated descriptions for other mods even when they change their contents. Same is true for her spells and her items.

Are you sure this still happens with the current generation of mods, and if so, which ones? This really shouldn't happen.

You can only ever be expected to provide accurate description for the content that you yourself add to the game. If, further down the install order, a mod changes your content but does not update the relevant descriptions accordingly, then that is a serious flaw in that other mod's design that needs to be addressed. You should never feel obligated to provide less as a result of the laziness or incompetence of someone else.

If you remain adamant about not including descriptions for the special abilities et al., you might consider at least providing a general but greatly simplified description of what it does (like what you did for Sandrah's "Knock" spell:

Spoiler

This is the current state of Sandrah's "special abilities" in my current game. It is quite inconsistent and I am wondering if this is vanilla "Sandrah Saga" behavior or whether (as you say) other mods are messing things up.
Spoiler

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#422 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:48 PM

An issue already discussed before and something I removed intentionally after the BGT experience. My mod is designed for a mega-mod installation. Such installs in most cases contain the big tweak/spell/item revision etc mods as well. I never found two installations in which things worked exactly in the same way. Descriptions are never correct and tweak mods do not provide updated descriptions for other mods even when they change their contents. Same is true for her spells and her items.

Are you sure this still happens with the current generation of mods, and if so, which ones? This really shouldn't happen.

You can only ever be expected to provide accurate description for the content that you yourself add to the game. If, further down the install order, a mod changes your content but does not update the relevant descriptions accordingly, then that is a serious flaw in that other mod's design that needs to be addressed. You should never feel obligated to provide less as a result of the laziness or incompetence of someone else.

If you remain adamant about not including descriptions for the special abilities et al., you might consider at least providing a general but greatly simplified description of what it does (like what you did for Sandrah's "Knock" spell:

Spoiler

This is the current state of Sandrah's "special abilities" in my current game. It is quite inconsistent and I am wondering if this is vanilla "Sandrah Saga" behavior or whether (as you say) other mods are messing things up.
Spoiler

Which spell mods do you have installed?

I will add some descriptive text about why she receives certain abilities: Priestess of Mystra, boon of Midnight, special relation to Weave and assimilating spells etc, (This is in some dialogues but may be fitting for spell description as well.)

Edited by Roxanne, 22 March 2017 - 11:46 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#423 Samriel

Samriel
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:11 AM

Hmmm, a potential bug.

Upon entering Kagain's Shop I suddenly received the Golem's Construction Manual without any kind of conversation. It just appeared in my MC's pocket without any build up when I entered that shop.

Given that Sandrah appears in the description of said item I guess it is related to this mod.

#424 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:35 AM

Hmmm, a potential bug.

Upon entering Kagain's Shop I suddenly received the Golem's Construction Manual without any kind of conversation. It just appeared in my MC's pocket without any build up when I entered that shop.

Given that Sandrah appears in the description of said item I guess it is related to this mod.

There should be some conversation after a while where Sandrah would mention that this book is useful to read. You need to have the item identified for that - unless you already had this conversation (editions of the book can be found in various places).

In case she never talks about this *find*, please check this C:GetGlobal("SanGolman","LOCALS") remember that to check locals, your cursor must have selected the NPC, i.e Sandrah in this case.

The Sandrah Saga

#425 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Which spell mods do you have installed?

I tried hard to leave out any mods that reinvent the spell or armor systems:  I pretty much like them the way they are.  I looked through my WeiDU.log(s) and nothing jumped out as obviously messing with the overall spell system or NPCs special abilities, but here they are if you want to take a look:

Attached File  Sam_EET_BWS_Logs_20170323.zip   15.71K   101 downloads

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#426 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

Hmmm, a potential bug.

There should be some conversation after a while where Sandrah would mention that this book is useful to read. You need to have the item identified for that - unless you already had this conversation (editions of the book can be found in various places).

In case she never talks about this *find*, please check this C:GetGlobal("SanGolman","LOCALS") remember that to check locals, your cursor must have selected the NPC, i.e Sandrah in this case.

Re-tested the scene

As soon as you have the item identified, Sandrah talks to you about its possible use. Afterwards you just need to encounter a golem...which may take some time still when you are still in Bergost...

The Sandrah Saga

#427 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

Sam., on 20 Mar 2017 - 23:19, said:

Me: Hey Sandra, there's a whole room full of low level skeletons just up ahead.  How about you try to Turn Undead?

Sandrah: *Blatantly breaks all current actions/commands, equips her melee hammer, and runs headlong into the room.*

I added and succesfully tested this condition:

IF
    ActionListEmpty()
    See(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))
    Range(NearestEnemyOf(Myself),20)
    !ModalState(TURNUNDEAD)
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        EquipMostDamagingMelee()
        AttackReevaluate(NearestEnemyOf(Myself),30)
END

It makes her far less effective against undead but more docile to the players advice. Not sure whether this is a worthy trade-off?

She is a fighter/cleric - which side is to win here?

PS - might be that in a highly modded install (like mine) Turn Undead is not very effective, many undead do not care about this at all.

Edited by Roxanne, 23 March 2017 - 01:00 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#428 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:47 PM

Right, its just the last time I checked the EET thread the mod did not progress much and I thought that maybe the version I used from around 2 months before was still considered "current".

Looks like the mod got a decent boost in progress, huh.

Ah...one more thing. Should I start the game from the beginning just in case/to avoid any bugs due to loading a save for the old version or it should be moderately safe to load an old save?

Unlike BGT, BG1 vanilla content in EET always uses predefined string numbers, so there won't be a problem with it (unless mods changes that content which is often the case). As for the strings added by mods than it's normal that old saves no longer works correctly if there is any change in mods install order since dialog.tlk will have new strings in different order (same is true in vanilla games). I've added an option to EET to solve this problem so that you can still continue your old saves on new installation, even if you changed install order or removed some mods. During setup-eet_end installation you will be asked if you want to update your old saves to work correctly with the new installation (using TRA files located in the saves directory, exported during your old installation). After doing so you are good to go, although keep in mind that this feature has not been tested by many people, so I can't promiss that it's flawless. It does following things:

- update all string references added by mods in saves via TRA files from old installation (vanilla BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE references are not touched)

- removes non-existing resource references (items, CRE etc.) present in saves if they're no longer present in the game, so that save doesn't crash if data storred there is missing

- restores worldmap from scratch using base one from override and restores all progress from old worldmap storred in your saves.

edit: if you're using BWS than this feature may not be available considering the tool probably sends "no" to the question for save updating and after installing setup-eet_end the feature is no longer available (because TRA files from old installation are overwritten during this component installation). If this is the case try un-checking EET_end component in BWS mods selection. Once the installation is done you can install it manually at the end and send "yes" to that question (if you still have correct TRA files from old installation in your save directory - backup them if you're not sure what to do).

Edited by K4thos, 25 March 2017 - 09:07 PM.

#429 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

Me: Hey Sandra, there's a whole room full of low level skeletons just up ahead.  How about you try to Turn Undead?
Sandrah: *Blatantly breaks all current actions/commands, equips her melee hammer, and runs headlong into the room.*

IF
    ActionListEmpty()
    !ModalState(TURNUNDEAD)
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        EquipMostDamagingMelee()
END

It makes her far less effective against undead but more docile to the players advice. Not sure whether this is a worthy trade-off?

PS - might be that in a highly modded install (like mine) Turn Undead is not very effective, many undead do not care about this at all.

Looks okay to me. Turn Undead is directly tied to the undead creature's hit dice, so if a mod (or LoB/HoF mode) drastically increases their hit die, then yeah Turn Undead become fairly useless.

On another note, I've run into a wall on one of Sandrah's quests.

Spoiler

Edited by Sam., 26 March 2017 - 05:16 PM.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#430 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

IF
    ActionListEmpty()
    !ModalState(TURNUNDEAD)
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        EquipMostDamagingMelee()
END

Looks okay to me. Turn Undead is directly tied to the undead creature's hit dice, so if a mod (or LoB/HoF mode) drastically increases their hit die, then yeah Turn Undead become fairly useless.

Spoiler

Cloudpeak Mountains encompass more than one area in the south, it is the whole border to Amn.

Spoiler

The Sandrah Saga

#431 grynberg

grynberg
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

I think you should add romance checks to some of her actions.. we've been together for four chapters like love-birds. Suddenly she sees Bjorn at the Jovial Juggler and she goes to give him a "massage". I thought I was maybe reading too much into this, english is my third second language afterall. Later in the game we went into the beregost smithy and she showed the smith her "necklace" and asked it to be fixed. Smith was pretty tired from all the fixing in the back room as much as I could tell. I mean seriously, romance mod is fine but does she really have to sleep with anyone she finds remotely interesting.

I love the gameplay improvements you have made to some of the mods (DSotSC is MUCH more playable thanks to her explanations) and I was reallly enjoying the waterdeep area and the quests. However, the inconsistency of her actions is making the playthrough very tiresome. At one point she is rational, does some plot exposition, talks about loyalty, friendship, about his fathers friends aaaand then she drops her skirt and screws whoever comes up next. 

I have to keep reminding myself that perhaps this is just some fake persona she is putting up, but she is not making it easy to like her.

Edited by grynberg, 27 March 2017 - 10:03 AM.

#432 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

I think you should add romance checks to some of her actions.. we've been together for four chapters like love-birds. Suddenly she sees Bjorn at the Jovial Juggler and she goes to give him a "massage". I thought I was maybe reading too much into this, english is my third second language afterall. Later in the game we went into the beregost smithy and she showed the smith her "necklace" and asked it to be fixed. Smith was pretty tired from all the fixing in the back room as much as I could tell. I mean seriously, romance mod is fine but does she really have to sleep with anyone she finds remotely interesting.

I love the gameplay improvements you have made to some of the mods (DSotSC is MUCH more playable thanks to her explanations) and I was reallly enjoying the waterdeep area and the quests. However, the inconsistency of her actions is making the playthrough very tiresome. At one point she is rational, does some plot exposition, talks about loyalty, friendship, about his fathers friends aaaand then she drops her skirt and screws whoever comes up next. 

Or is this just your fantasy that lets you interpret it this way?

I have to keep reminding myself that perhaps this is just some fake persona she is putting up, but she is not making it easy to like her.

Spoiler

I fully agree - there  are companions that make liking them easier - or hating them.

The Sandrah Saga

#433 grynberg

grynberg
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

Or is this just your fantasy that lets you interpret it this way?

Spoiler

I fully agree - there  are companions that make liking them easier - or hating them.

No, it's not my fantasy. It's not exactly subtle when he's using his *tool* (sic!) to fix her problem. It's blatantly obvious what the writer ment. Same goes for Bjorn and some other cases I dismissed earlier because it was my second playthrough with her (first one was broken) and I just skipped dialogue to get back to the point where the game broke.

I think you misunderstood why I don't like her. The irrational sex part is not bothering me that much, we've all been young. What bothers me is the fractured personality she seems to have. At one point she is a rational adult, a figure of authority, a teacher, the next moment she's a nympho, then she changes into a water-splashing teenager, then she slips into the shoes of a loyal daughter and then she's a seduceress and so on. I just can't connect with her at all, there's no personality, there's half a dozen of them depending on what's convenient to the story.

That said, I am going to play through this and I admire the massive amount of work this must have taken. All of the new areas I've seen are comparable to the original game content (which can't be said to all mods) and the story so far has been entertaining and captivating.

EDIT: Another thing that's been really bugging me. Sandrah makes the game easy.. I'm playing at Insane with Stratagems tuned to the highest difficulty and it's just.. too easy with her. The two animal companions are really overpowered and Sandrah has so much gear and special abilities that she overshadows everyone else everywhere.. She hits like a truck, gets mass cure light heals at very early levels, gets greater restoration as an SLA at level 5, not to mention the cure diseases, poisons, true seeings, numerous heals on her SLA list. And she gets haste and dispel magic! On cleric spell list!

Just an example on the overpowered equipment. Since she's such a powerhouse and I set her to be the main tank, I gave her the best shield I had (+5 AC and something else on it) -- on comes Elminster, sees her daughter and gives her a better shield then I've seen in five chapters. 

Edited by grynberg, 27 March 2017 - 11:59 AM.

#434 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:19 PM

there's half a dozen of them depending on what's convenient to the story.

It is not supposed to be "convenient to the story" but just uneven. She can be the silly girl when she's with Imoen and next moment she realises how much responsibility she has as a healer or by being involved with the PC, a person of great significance. She is still searching for *her* way and role in this - which is not easy with her background.

We are talking about the initial chapters in BG1 here - a period where the PC him/herself is not sure about the own role. She is supposed to grow as your character grows and as the main story starts to evolve. You will see her develop over the story the more she finds out about your and her involvement with the bigger scheme of things.

When you and your companions become aware of what is at stake in your adventures, you (and her) are really becoming mature - and a next level is reached when after Sarevok's defeat you both start to get an idea which powers you really will have to face.

Your NPCs - at least those you can take through the whole game - should have some personal development due to the enormous stress and experience they encounter at your side and not just add the same stereotype reactions over and over again.

Sandrah makes the game easy..

Some say it is the opposite, I heard it is far too tactical. My own experience is that it largely depends on some other mods you have installed and that make her gain more abilities (I found a mod giving her 4 extra stars for weapons and use of druid items...). Maybe we should compare notes if you post your Weidu.log from your current install.

Edited by Roxanne, 27 March 2017 - 12:29 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#435 grynberg

grynberg
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

there's half a dozen of them depending on what's convenient to the story.

It is not supposed to be "convenient to the story" but just uneven. She can be the silly girl when she's with Imoen and next moment she realises how much responsibility she has as a healer or by being involved with the PC, a person of great significance. She is still searching for *her* way and role in this - which is not easy with her background.

We are talking about the initial chapters in BG1 here - a period where the PC him/herself is not sure about the own role. She is supposed to grow as your character grows and as the main story starts to evolve. You will see her develop over the story the more she finds out about your and her involvement with the bigger scheme of things.

Sandrah makes the game easy..

Some say it is the opposite, I heard it is far too tactical. My own experience is that it largely depends on some other mods you have installed and that make her gain more abilities (I found a mod giving her 4 extra stars for weapons and use of druid items...). Maybe we should compare notes if you post your Weidu.log from your current install.

I'm using the BWS tactical installation and I didn't do much changes to it. Just solved a few conflicts that BWS asked me to do and left everything else as they were.

#436 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:24 PM

IF
    ActionListEmpty()
    !ModalState(TURNUNDEAD)
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        EquipMostDamagingMelee()
END

Spoiler

Cloudpeak Mountains encompass more than one area in the south, it is the whole border to Amn.

Spoiler

I'm afraid I'm stuck again (literally this time).

Spoiler

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#437 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:45 PM

IF
    ActionListEmpty()
    !ModalState(TURNUNDEAD)
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        EquipMostDamagingMelee()
END

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm afraid I'm stuck again (literally this time).

Spoiler

Spoiler

I think you just picked up the items too fast before Sandrah could start her talk - just drop the shard again and see if she talks to you now, then pick it up  and things should evolve further.

Edited by Roxanne, 27 March 2017 - 11:08 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#438 Kvothe.

Kvothe.
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:53 AM

Sandrah is invincible since pretty much the beginning from TOB. No dmg from normal or magic weapons and 100% magic resistance... is this wanted or a bug?

Edited by Kvothe., 30 March 2017 - 10:20 AM.

#439 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

Sandrah invincible since pretty much the beginning from TOB. No dmg from normal or magic weapons and 100% magic resistance... is this wanted or a bug?

It is not wanted by my mod - it is not a bug if it is something that another mod does intentionally.

If you have a save of this situation, I can have a look.

The Sandrah Saga

#440 Kvothe.

Kvothe.
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

Sure

Attached Files

• Attached File  Save.zip   3.28MB   120 downloads