trouble installing with BWS, mods not present after installation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 -stori11-

-stori11-

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:57 AM

So I installed a tactical selection, with some mods removed (mostly npc/funny mods) and the mods simply arent present in the game after installation, not even bg1/bg2 new game from trilogy. I installed the whole thing a total of 10 times now, each time the installator asks me to provide BGT Music and BGT GUI mods manually, which I do by copying the gui file and music folder from BG1, which Im not sure if its correct seeing how there are no instructions for what it is im actually supposed to provide. after copying the files I eventually get the installator to continue, when it finishes it reports successful installation. When I start the game nothing is there, no kits no trilogy, nothing. I did start a new game and save before installing as well. 

Ive also noticed that during the extraction bgt music and bgt gui as well as a handful of other mods show information that they are included in another archive, as ive mentioned previously i solve the issue for bgt music and gui by copying bg1 files but not the other mods as there is no notification to provice the files during the checking process. 

I provide all 4 debug files below from one of the installation:

download debug:https://www.scribd.c...-Download-Debug

extract debug:https://www.scribd.c...d-Extract-Debug

install debug:https://www.scribd.c...d-Install-Debug

upload debug:https://www.scribd.c...ld-Upload-Debug

Id appreciate help as no game seems to be able to scratch that baldurs gate itch :(

#2 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:00 AM

Oh also i forgot to mention im using non EE versions of both from gog with newest patches. sorry for double post but i cant edit guest posts.

#3 stori11

stori11
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:10 AM

Alright I have an account now so last post in a row, no more double posts after this. I also disabled UAC completely, havent run it in admin mode though as normal mod installation didnt require it, nor did installing the mods on other games. I shouldve mentioned before maybe that i installed other infinity games with mods using BWS with no problem usually using maxed out selection, its just bgt mega mod installation that behaves this strange way. 

#4 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:53 AM

Hi stori11.  This is strange indeed.  I noticed from your WeiDU log that you are using a much older version of BWS (20160201).  There was a bug in the auto-update feature (I think fixed now), so you should manually download a new copy of BWS from the link in my signature.

When BWS asks you to provide a mod, it means put the requested zip/rar/archive file in the BiG World Downloads folder.  You never need to copy files manually from your game folders.

When BWS says that a mod is included in another archive, it means you don't have to worry about it.  BWS will take care of downloading and extracting the file from whatever archive contains it.  For example, the BiG World Smoothpack is distributed as a subfolder of the BiG World Installpack, so although BWS has a separate entry for the Smoothpack in the selection view, it knows that it doesn't need to download any files for it, and in BWS' install sequence, we have some extra code to run the Smoothpack where it is, inside of the Installpack folder.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#5 stori11

stori11
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:18 PM

But the installator keeps asking during the checking process for bgt music and bgt gui files and nothing happens untill i copy the files from bg1 folder and enter c for continue like 10 times. As for bws version i downloaded it from a post i found with google. Perhaps using the one you suggested will resolve the issue, I will check back once I try that. Do tell me what you think about the missing mods considering that as ive mentioned the installer keeps asking for them during checking process right as installation is almost done. 

#6 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:31 PM

The install log shows that not a single one of the mods was successfully installed.  I don't know what to think about that.  Please try the latest and if it still happens we can debug it together, otherwise I will write this off as "old version buggy."

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#7 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:41 PM

.. I also disabled UAC completely ...

Is this on Windows 10 ? Cause trying to overcome the C drives protection this way is for nought in this OS, cause you can't over write any files in the folders, and thus no good.

You need to either install the game to another drive, or into your own user folder in the C:/users/usernametag/ -sub folders, as that's the only place you can modify files in on Windows 10. That and then some Virus protection software even prevent that.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#8 stori11

stori11
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:22 PM

No its windows 7

#9 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:45 PM

In the install log after each #### MODNAME #### line there would normally be a following WeiDU setup-modname.exe command line.  Like this:

##### Generalized Biffing #####
### 0000: Generalized Biffing (pack files into archives so the game can load faster) ###
Ready for installation
type BWS_SUB.nul | Setup-generalized_biffing.exe --no-exit-pause --noautoupdate --language 0 --skip-at-view  --force-install-list 0 --logapp
[Setup-generalized_biffing.exe] WeiDU version 24000

Is it possible you had a copy of WeiDU.exe (or any of the setup-modname.exe programs) open in the background during the installation?  BWS can't tell the difference between a WeiDU started by BWS and a WeiDU started manually, and I've seen that cause problems in the past.

#10 Torvald

Torvald
  • Validating
  • 188 posts

Donator

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:07 PM

agb1,

I noticed your comment that the weiDU log info from stori11 was showing a date of 20160201, which caused you to think he was using an outdated version of BWS.

Well, I recently used the November 22, 2016 version of BWS with BGEE & BGEE2, and my weiDU log contains the following line towards the beginning:  (Hmmm, I seem to be unable to copy/paste in this forum for some reason, so have instead attached a text file showing the line).  This line in the WeiDU log appears to say I am using a 20160201 version of BWS, which is not true, as I instead actually downloaded and ran the 20161122 version of BWS.

Perhaps there is a comment line somewhere in BWS that needs to be updated to show the true BWS version date inside the WeiDU log.

Best wishes. 

Attached Files

"My wife says I have the body of a God - Buddha!"

#11 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:19 PM

Torvald, you are absolutely right.  Well-spotted and thank you for reporting this.  The number in the WeiDU log is taken from the last entry in the Changelog-Mods.txt file in BiG World Setup/Docs.  There is a legacy Changelog.txt file in the same folder and for the last several updates I've been putting entries in that file instead, which does not affect the line in the WeiDU log.