Issues with Scar and Eltan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thejewk

thejewk
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:52 AM

Hi all, hoping someone can help me.

I am running Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod installed with no other mods, using GemRB on a Raspberry Pi3 under RetroPie.

I've had few issues until this point, and don't believe my issue has anything to do with GemRB or the Pi, although I obviously could be wrong.

I have reached the point in BG1 where I have access to the city of Baldur's Gate.  I never encountered Scar at any point before the city, didn't see him on the bridge leading to the city, and he is not in the Flaming Fist HQ or outside of it.  He doesn't seem to exist in my game.

I have gone to the Throne of Iron HQ and completed the battles there, which now tell me to speak to Duke Eltan to allow me to reenter Candlekeep.  Unfortunately, the staircase which leads to Eltan is not an interactable object, and Scar isn't there to autoload me into the upstairs area.

I have edited the CFG file to enable the cheat commands to see if spawning Scar is possible, but unfortunately on my setup trying to run any cheat commands crashes the game to desktop.

Am I completely boned here?  Any help would be appreciated, and sorry if I haven't included certain relevant information.

#2 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:18 AM

Hi all, hoping someone can help me.

I am running Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod installed with no other mods, using GemRB on a Raspberry Pi3 under RetroPie.

I've had few issues until this point, and don't believe my issue has anything to do with GemRB or the Pi, although I obviously could be wrong.

I have reached the point in BG1 where I have access to the city of Baldur's Gate.  I never encountered Scar at any point before the city, didn't see him on the bridge leading to the city, and he is not in the Flaming Fist HQ or outside of it.  He doesn't seem to exist in my game.

I have gone to the Throne of Iron HQ and completed the battles there, which now tell me to speak to Duke Eltan to allow me to reenter Candlekeep.  Unfortunately, the staircase which leads to Eltan is not an interactable object, and Scar isn't there to autoload me into the upstairs area.

I have edited the CFG file to enable the cheat commands to see if spawning Scar is possible, but unfortunately on my setup trying to run any cheat commands crashes the game to desktop.

Am I completely boned here?  Any help would be appreciated, and sorry if I haven't included certain relevant information.

I do not know if this is helpful since I have no idea about GemRB on a Raspberry Pi3 under RetroPie. I know just the game-

If you cannot spawn him via console nor set globals or things, you may use NearInfinity or EEKeeper to check things.

a) if you have NI, check that scar.cre is in your game

b) if he is there (or you are unsure), open a savegame and look if a global "ScarMission" exists and if the value is 1. If not, add this global and set it to 1.

c) if you did b) re-visit the Flaming Fist main level and see if Scar is now there.

Otherwise, you need somebody with experience in your game setup to help you along. Sorry.

Edited by Roxanne, 12 December 2016 - 04:19 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#3 thejewk

thejewk
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:49 AM

Thanks for the post Roxanne.  I don't or haven't used those programs before, and I will look into them.

I assume EEKeeper is for the Extended Editions, so I assume I will need to use Near Infinity.

I am going to have a play around a bit more to see if I can get anything to trigger by travelling around on the map a bit, etc.  If I have to use NearInfinity, I am guessing I'll have to transfer the install folder over from the Pi to my laptop, use the tool, and then transfer the whole thing back, which is problematic due to the length of time it takes, but certainly possible.

If I have no luck, I may just complete everything that I can, and then move on to BG2.

The main thing that puzzles me is the fact that I can go to the upstairs section of the Flaming Fist HQ due to the stairs not working.  At any other point in the game, trying to go somewhere may result in a combat situation, but certainly not in an inactive staircase.  Very poor.

#4 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for the post Roxanne.  I don't or haven't used those programs before, and I will look into them.

I assume EEKeeper is for the Extended Editions, so I assume I will need to use Near Infinity.

I am going to have a play around a bit more to see if I can get anything to trigger by travelling around on the map a bit, etc.  If I have to use NearInfinity, I am guessing I'll have to transfer the install folder over from the Pi to my laptop, use the tool, and then transfer the whole thing back, which is problematic due to the length of time it takes, but certainly possible.

If I have no luck, I may just complete everything that I can, and then move on to BG2.

The main thing that puzzles me is the fact that I can go to the upstairs section of the Flaming Fist HQ due to the stairs not working.  At any other point in the game, trying to go somewhere may result in a combat situation, but certainly not in an inactive staircase.  Very poor.

All of that could be overcome with the console working...By the way the EEkeeper is for the EE but it is backwards compatible I think, otherwise the respective tool for BGT was Shadowkeeper. Personally I prefer NI, but that is habit and the fact the NI is more actively maintained and enhanced.

Anyway, for an environment like yours (kind of expert modus), I would recommend that you familiarize yourself with one or the other - not a big deal, most stuff is quite intuitive.

Another thing you may try is to post your problem here http://gibberlings3....hp?showforum=91

Edited by Roxanne, 12 December 2016 - 09:16 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#5 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:50 AM

One other thing you can try

Put this [attachment=29177:SCAR.CRE] into the override folder of your game directory and see if Scar now appears at Wyrm's Crossing bridge (he may have a weird name due to different dialogue.tlk of our games though).

The Sandrah Saga

#6 thejewk

thejewk
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:02 PM

think I have resolved it!

Exploring in the grass area off the top of the bridge to the city, I found a soldier who taxed me and then told me to wait for Scar.

He didn't arrive, but by walking back across the bridge he triggered and talked to me.

I've now been able to progress all the way up until the Duke will transport me, so all is well.

Thanks for the help.