Photo

Should I play original BGT or Enhanced version?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kovarex

kovarex
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:43 AM

I played heavily modded bg in the past and I already finished Enhanced version from BG to TOB.

Since the heavily modded play is usually full of problems I would like to minimize them.

I would like to use the big world setup for convenience with bgt.

The question is simple, is it better to base the modding it on the original BG+BG2 or the enhanced editions?

The main aspects are game stability (also related to slowdowns realted to (mainly) huge baldur.bcs), and obviously the amount of available content.

Thank you for any advice.

Edited by kovarex, 02 January 2017 - 04:48 AM.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:03 AM

Either will do fine.

Since the heavily modded play is usually full of problems I would like to minimize them.

Now if stability is the primary concern... then you don't actually mod the game at all, but that's booring yes.. so you need to consider how much of that you are willing to sacrifice the one for the other ?

If it's 10%, then you pick the BWS, and allow it to install 10% of the available mods... and pick it from there on...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 kovarex

kovarex
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:08 AM

Well if either is fine, then enhanced edition might do it better. I personally find the gui changes to be not so nice, and also the movies have been downgraded. But some little things, like showing the action to ordered on the player portrait is nice.

Yes, I completely explored vanilla few times, so no point in playing it for me. The question how big the problems is. I remember editing baldur.bcs and removing things that related to quests already finished so the game is faster ....

Thanks for the advice.

#4 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:18 AM

Well, I don't remember how far along the ToBEx was at the point you installed last, but it added better item and so forth handling which was causing slow down. It's "included" in the EE games...

And depending on the mods you install, there's several that have had bad insight on the game mechanics. Such as one mod trying to insist setting your damage resistance bellow set number.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 kovarex

kovarex
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:04 AM

Well, I don't remember how far along the ToBEx was at the point you installed last, but it added better item and so forth handling which was causing slow down. It's "included" in the EE games...

And depending on the mods you install, there's several that have had bad insight on the game mechanics. Such as one mod trying to insist setting your damage resistance bellow set number.

Good, at some point I was considering to work on a patch to optimize the HasItem trigger to solve that. Let's see how is the EE optimized :)

Edit: I checked the options of the Big world installer: Enhanced edition trilogy versus EE trilogy.

There are some big mods I wanted to finally go through like shadows over soubar and similar, which are not an option in EE.

Edited by kovarex, 02 January 2017 - 10:39 AM.