BWS Ghost Files

Big World Setup BWS Installation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sbp34

sbp34
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

Thank you to the developers for the amazing tool that is BWS.  After searching the forums all day, I have yet to find this particular issue I've run into:

BWS seems to be creating files and folders upon installation that I cannot see within windows explorer.  It's almost like when one attempts to install something in Program Files or Program Files(x86) and the files are put in VirtualStore, except that my installation is in C:\Users\sbp\Games\GOG Galaxy\.  A picture showing the juxtaposition of Windows Explorer and the file explorer within BWS for the same file location is available here.

I am running Windows 7 64 Ultimate, clean installations of BGEE (aside from one mod I installed manually after discovering the problem to see if there was some kind of weidu issue) and BG2EE from GOG, newest release of BWS, UAC turned off, modmerge installed successfully on BGEE, Antivirus off, and Program Compatibility disabled.

I have run AutoIT3.exe as an administrator, and then created an independent installation in a blank folder, BGEET.  BWS runs through its script, but when I look at BGEET in windows explorer, it is empty, whereas if I look at it through the file explorer in BWS, the sub-folders are there.  And indeed, if I try to install the independent installation again, BWS seems to think the installation is there - if I proceed, it hangs on copying webcache.zip.  Any ideas?

Attached File  Multi-Install.txt   1.28K   268 downloads

#2 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:28 PM

Have you toggled "Show hidden files and folders" in the windows explorer Folder Options? I can't imagine why those mod folders are hidden, but that seems to be the case...

Unrelated, but I have never used the "independent installation" feature in BWS, which it seems you used for your BGEET test folder, so I have no experience to comment on that.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#3 sbp34

sbp34
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:47 PM

Thanks, agb1.  I discovered what was causing this issue.  For users of Comodo Antivirus, it is not sufficient to simply exit the program, as the auto-sandbox feature will continue to run in the background (even if you go into the taskbar and tell it to exit).  One must specifically disable the sandbox while Comodo is running to avoid this problem.  Not sure if I should delete this thread or not.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Big World Setup, BWS Installation