Photo

[BGT-Tactical] CTD on dialogue with Ghastkill (BG1)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Avathacis

Avathacis
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:46 PM

Whelp, as expected, Tactical installations don't run for too long without errors. Once Berrun Ghastkill initiates the first dialogue on arrival, I instantly receive a CTD. Any ideas on what I could do? Since he's crucial to the storyline, if I recall correctly, I can't really progress without him.

I tried cheesing my way out with cheats and what not, didn't help.

WEIDU log attached.

TobEx log:

[Sat 04 Feb 2017 23:09:14] ASSERTION FAILED! Return Address: 0x7EA0C5 File: InfScreenWorld.cpp Line: 12884 Expression: bResult Message: (null)

I have an itch that audio doesn't play and that's the reason for the crash.

Attached Files

Edited by Avathacis, 04 February 2017 - 01:50 PM.

#2 Halmy

Halmy
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:05 PM

Hello,

I did a fresh install today and encountered the same issue as described by Avathacis.

When the mayor of Nashkel, Berrun Ghastkill, appears and come talking to my party the game crashes.

Here are the messages

TobEx.log

-----TobEx: Throne of Bhaal Extender build 0.26.3.25 (Sun 05 Feb 2017 02:32:28)
[Sun 05 Feb 2017 02:32:51] ASSERTION FAILED! Return Address: 0x7EA0C5 File: InfScreenWorld.cpp Line: 12884 Expression: bResult Message: (null)

Baldur.err

---------------------Start Logging Session---------------------

ASSERTION FAILED!
File: InfScreenWorld.cpp
Line: 12884

Exp: bResult

Msg: no msg.
Run Debugger?

The install was done with the latest version of BiG World Setup

- Mode: Baldur's Gate 2 / Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BGT) Customization

- Preset: BWS "Recommended" selection (high quality, well-integrated content)

I've attached the compressed install log.

I can see the following errors in it, not sure if one matches the area concerned as it was mentioned here but not followed by the same issue: http://www.shsforums...-13#entry589007

ISNF02.ARE issue: Missing area Script (ISNF02.bcs) created
Compiling 1 script ...
ERROR: [./override/ISNF05.wav] has size 20715284: TOO BIG FOR WEIDU (max 16777211)
ERROR: error loading [./override/ISNF05.wav]

ISNF05.ARE issue: Ambient #0 does not exist (ISNF05.wav)! Nulling...
ERROR: [./override/ISNF05.wav] has size 20715284: TOO BIG FOR WEIDU (max 16777211)
ERROR: error loading [./override/ISNF05.wav]

WQ0002.ARE issue: Missing area Script (WQ0002.bcs) created
Compiling 1 script ...
ERROR: [./override/WQ0003.wav] has size 21457768: TOO BIG FOR WEIDU (max 16777211)
ERROR: error loading [./override/WQ0003.wav]

If anyone has an idea of how to fix this that would be great :)

Thanks a lot!

Attached Files

Edited by Halmy, 04 February 2017 - 06:09 PM.

#3 Halmy

Halmy
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:42 AM

After trying several installations here is one allowing my party to talk to Berrun Ghastkill and keep playing so far.

Base game: GoG latest versions

- setup_baldurs_gate_2.0.0.20

- setup_baldurs_gate2_2.0.0.12

BWS up-to date

Mode: Baldur's Gate 2 / Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BGT) Customization

Preset: BWS "Recommended" selection (high quality, well-integrated content)

Unchecked from the preset

BG1 NPC Project
- 008: The BG1 NPC Project: Add Non-Joignable NPC portraits to quests and dialogues

BG1 Unfinished Business
- 0019: Minor Dialoque Restorations
- 0020: Minor Audio Restorations

Gerri's BGT NPC Portraits
- 0000: Portraits for BG1 (BGT or EET)

I'm not sure which one exactly was generating the crash, I've added a save of game the just before talking to Berrun if someone wants to try and figure the issue.

I hope it can help!

Attached Files

#4 Avathacis

Avathacis
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:27 AM

It's unlikely to be portraits, though, not entirely impossible. I used CheatKeys and with, iirc, CTRL+Q you can add any "unit" to your party. Berrun gets added and while his portrait is entirely black, there is no crash.

Thanks, though, if a few days pass and there is no other reply, guess I'll have to reinstall Tactical... Oh boy.

I wonder if there is some way to disable sounds entirely from BGII then we could test and report this bug properly.

Edited by Avathacis, 05 February 2017 - 06:28 AM.

#5 -Roland-

-Roland-

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

I am having the exact same crash. I also got it in byrnnslaw from one of the npcs there. I am almost certain it has to do with portraits. 

#6 -Roland-

-Roland-

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

I am going to try and redownload the mega mod with the exact same settings (GOG, Recommended settings for BWS) And remove all portrait modifications. Hopefully I am right in my assumption. The messed up looking portrait is what makes me think its the portrait issue since it is not full black with a question mark but is kind of bugged out. Although it could have something to do with a call to text or speech but ill update once its finished.

#7 -Roland-

-Roland-

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:12 PM

yea its the portraits for some reason. I removed anything to do with portraits and both spots are fixed now. just for anyone who comes by this thread with the same issue!

#8 -Jan-

-Jan-

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:38 PM

Are there any other Crashes, caused by the NSC Portraits Mod or is it enough to just remove/not install the BG1 part?

#9 Krohon

Krohon
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:20 PM

I stumbled on the same error. Very hard to find out, I didn't notice Berrun approach until several hours later. But I keep playing now, just kill Berrun (before he talk to you, of course) using <Ctrl><Y> and the games seems to working fine again. 

Previously I had to kill the same way a high level magician, Rhialto, that attacked my party several times after resting,  killing everyone. He was supposed to convert himself on a squirrel (a wild mage), but he did not. 

#10 Demtrek

Demtrek
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:30 AM

Holy crap, I fixed something.  It was the picture.  I used Near Infinity to change it and now it works.

Near Infinity    https://www.idi.ntnu...h/ni/using.html

1- Download and install

2- Load your instalation using the "Game" tab.  Browse to your instalation, then on lower "find file" enter "CHITIN.KEY"

3- Once your game is loaded, navigate to Area Tab and find AR3700 then you will see Berrun listed under the creature box.  As soon as you double click him it will give you the error that is crashing the game.

4- Under Berrun, you will see a edit tab, click it and find "small portrait" click it and select any portrait to replace it.  I just clicked the one below it, named Berun.

I suck at typing directions.....and I spell like a 6th grader.  Let me know what if any you dont understand and I shall attempt to clearify.

#11 -Arondil-

-Arondil-

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:38 AM

After trying several installations here is one allowing my party to talk to Berrun Ghastkill and keep playing so far.

Base game: GoG latest versions

- setup_baldurs_gate_2.0.0.20

- setup_baldurs_gate2_2.0.0.12

BWS up-to date

Mode: Baldur's Gate 2 / Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BGT) Customization

Preset: BWS "Recommended" selection (high quality, well-integrated content)

Unchecked from the preset

BG1 NPC Project
- 008: The BG1 NPC Project: Add Non-Joignable NPC portraits to quests and dialogues

BG1 Unfinished Business
- 0019: Minor Dialoque Restorations
- 0020: Minor Audio Restorations

Gerri's BGT NPC Portraits
- 0000: Portraits for BG1 (BGT or EET)

I'm not sure which one exactly was generating the crash, I've added a save of game the just before talking to Berrun if someone wants to try and figure the issue.

I hope it can help!

I narrowed it down to this component:

BG1 NPC Project

the crash doesn't happen for me with the other ones you mentioned activated.

#12 -Arondil-

-Arondil-

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:28 AM

Holy crap, I fixed something.  It was the picture.  I used Near Infinity to change it and now it works.

Near Infinity    https://www.idi.ntnu...h/ni/using.html

1- Download and install

2- Load your instalation using the "Game" tab.  Browse to your instalation, then on lower "find file" enter "CHITIN.KEY"

3- Once your game is loaded, navigate to Area Tab and find AR3700 then you will see Berrun listed under the creature box.  As soon as you double click him it will give you the error that is crashing the game.

4- Under Berrun, you will see a edit tab, click it and find "small portrait" click it and select any portrait to replace it.  I just clicked the one below it, named Berun.

I suck at typing directions.....and I spell like a 6th grader.  Let me know what if any you dont understand and I shall attempt to clearify.

Awesome, thanks! With this I found out that the culprit is this file: Baldur's Gate 2\data\tb#gen83.bif which is broken if you install the aforementioned mod component. You can however pull the correct file from an installation that didn't use this component and just replace the broken one. I tested it and it works. I uploaded the clean file into my dropbox: https://www.dropbox....#gen83.bif?dl=0

Just use that one as a replacement and you don't even need to reinstall anything or play around with near infinity, and it's still the correct portrait that was intended for Berrun.