Photo

A new start (again) for BG game plus mods

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:42 AM

OK. Next step is Program defaults. I am going for "Remove missing mods automatically" for both download and extraction logic and "Always continue installation" for installation logic. Off to the next step now...

...aaand already 1st question:

Backup:
It seems the "BiG World Setup" is running for the first time.
It is recommended that you create a backup of your clean patched and once-started BG2 installation, so you don't have to completely reinstall the original game again the next time you want to use BWS. All you need is around 500 MB of free disk-space.

Do you want to do that?
Enter [y]es or [n]o.

I have already created backups and full backups, plus the independent BWS folder. What should I do now?

Edited by quinlan, 03 March 2017 - 03:49 AM.

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#22 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:19 AM

:new_thumbs:

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#23 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:29 AM

After the downloading I got this:

The following mod(s) could not be downloaded:

** Polytweak: The Mod itself (Polytweak_v2.0.rar)
*  BiG World Textpack: Translations and sounds (BiG World Textpack ENGLISH-v16.7z)
   Amber NPC (SoA): The Mod itself (amber-v4.exe)
   Angelo NPC: The Mod itself (Angelo_v5.exe)
   NPC Tweak: The Mod itself (Gibberlings3-NPCTweak-v7-0-gc77817b.zip)
   BG1 Unfinished Business: The Mod itself (AstroBryGuy-bg1ub-v14.0-0-g2e68292.zip)
   Ascension: The Mod itself (BiGWorldProject-Ascension-20161205-0-g0b1595a.zip)
   Turambar fixes and tweaks: The Mod itself (Turambar_fixes_tweaks.rar)
   IA Content 001 - Base Content: The Mod itself (IA_Base_Anims.rar)
   Viconia Friendship: The Mod itself (viconiafriendshipV3.3_bg2ee.zip)
   IA Content - IWD Belhifet and Marilith: The Mod itself (Belhifet_and_Marilith.rar)
   Imoen Friendship: The Mod itself (imoenfriendshipV2.1_fr_bg2ee.zip)
   Infinity Animations Core: The Mod itself (infinityanimations-b5.rar)
   Baldur's Gate Trilogy Graphics Overhaul: The Mod itself (bgtgraphics18.rar)
   ktweaks: The Mod itself (ktweaks_v106.rar)
   IA Content 002 - IWDII and unused BGII Animations: The Mod itself (IA_BGII_IWDII.rar)
   Almateria's Restoration Project: The Mod itself (ARPv8-2-7.zip)
   Ariena NPC: The Mod itself (ArienaV2.2.rar)
   Mazzy Friendship: The Mod itself (mazzyfriendshipV2.2_bg2ee.zip)

The following mods cannot be installed because of missing dependence:

IA Content: D2 Bear & Werebear

IA Content: Fixed Tanar'ri and Wyvern

Jim's Fixes and Tweaks:
0005: Fix Ascension with SCS Smarter Celestials
0004: Fix Ascension with SCS Smarter Irenicus

Kelsey NPC:
0004: Ascension-specific dialogue (Requires WeiDU Ascension, v1.4.12 or greater recommended)

Gerri's BGT NPC Portraits:
2010: Portraits for Amber NPC

Sword Coast Stratagems:
6830: Smarter Abazigal
6840: Give Ascension versions of Irenicus and Sendai SCSII scripts and abilities
6850: Give Ascension demons SCSII scripts and abilities
6800: Smarter Illasera
6810: Smarter Gromnir
6820: Smarter Yaga-Shura

*  Cannot proceed installation without this essential mod.
** Loading from the website requires manual interaction.

Please fetch the mods that are marked as essential first.
Aborting the installation.

What should I do now?

My fantasy story

#24 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:38 AM

I have a pretty good connection, ethernet enabled, not wireless, Ping 10ms, Download 37.77Mbps, Upload 9.51Mbps.

How do I go about retrying download? Do I click continue or back?

My fantasy story

#25 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:32 AM

I chose continue and the setup crushed. When I clicked "Start BiG World Setup - Update If Needed" again and went through the steps, copied the previously downloaded mods (other than the failed ones) into the "Big World Downloads" folder, I got this warning which didn't appear before:

How come a pre-release is part of the recommended installation and why didn't it appear during my previous 1st attempt?

Attached Images

• Warning.jpg

Edited by quinlan, 03 March 2017 - 05:47 AM.

My fantasy story

#26 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:51 AM

I have a pretty good connection, ethernet enabled, not wireless, Ping 10ms, Download 37.77Mbps, Upload 9.51Mbps.
ALIEN might have not declared his whole intention with what he said. The connections between your location and the places the BWS has the files located is very big factor. The information travels at the speed of light, so that won't be an issue. The other actions that are taken can cause all sorts of things, lost packages and other things. Things like loss of package identity verification's.

PS the ping timer you get from sites like speedtest needs to be connected to the server you would connect + the senders server ping... this adds a lot of ping time. I had 14ms to our capital, while it was 153ms to some half world away American major city(as I live in Finland), while the up and download speeds stayed almost the same. So the actual timer is more like 200ms, rather than 14ms.
Also if you use a powerline adopters to carry the signal in a house, the ping time is likely to be totally off, as it might say 1ms. As it counts the modem as just part of a network.

Edited by The Imp, 03 March 2017 - 06:01 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#27 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:54 AM

OK.

During the 2nd attempt which is still underway I got this warning:

I chose that it is correct, not the re-installation option.

If I click on pause and then exit, will I be able to continue from where it is now?

Attached Images

• Program compatibility assistant.jpg

My fantasy story

#28 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:58 AM

Final report after 2nd attempt:

The following originally selected mods could not be installed:

Mod: IA Content 001 - Base Content
Component: BATCH

Mod: Homeward Bound
Component: BATCH

The installation is finished.

If you wish, you can use the BiG World Install.bat to save some disk-space. After starting it, a service-menu should pop up that gives you the option to "delete no longer needed files". If it does not give you that option, quit the batch-file to prevent it from trying to reinstall mods (which could mess up the current installation).

DO NOT TRY TO UNINSTALL ANY MODS AFTER RUNNING THE CLEAN UP SCRIPT! It deletes backup files so if you uninstall any mod (especially generalized biffing), your game will be missing files and you will have to reinstall everything to get them back!

Due to frequent updates of mods and patches, almost every installation is different, even with the same selection. You probably will encounter problems that have not been reported before. When this happens, please go to www.shsforums.net and create a new thread in the Mega Mod Help forum to report your problem.

Thank you for using the "BiG World Setup"!

About those mods that it couldn't download on its own like the mediafire one and the other failures due to server connection issues, what should I do about them now?

Also, what about the aborted 1st attempt final message:

*  Cannot proceed installation without this essential mod.
** Loading from the website requires manual interaction.

Please fetch the mods that are marked as essential first.
Aborting the installation.

May I assume that since the 2nd attempt finished all the issues were resolved, or do I still have to download the ones reported as failures?

Edited by quinlan, 03 March 2017 - 06:03 AM.

My fantasy story

#29 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

Thank you, i'll send him a post about it. Should i do something about the mods mentioned as failed downloads or have they been taken care of by the 2nd attempt? Where can i check about it?

My fantasy story

#30 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:14 PM

Today I used the "Start BiG World Setup - Update If Needed" to see what to do about the failed downloads of my previous attempts. A few weird things happened. Firstly a window opened:

Error.jpg

When I pressed a key to continue, I found myself in the Big World central page. When I clicked on continue, it went to the page where I could test the downloads. Thinking that the whole process wasn't saved from before, I went through it again. The first test ended with all downloads found and the second with 

-Summary-
These selected mods are missing from the downloads folder (includes archives with unexpected size, which are probably old versions):

IA Content 001 - Base Content

Finished.

Whatever happened to all those failed downloads from before? How come this time around there is only one missing? Have I done something wrong by repeating the whole process again for a 3rd time?

Edited by quinlan, 04 March 2017 - 06:17 PM.

My fantasy story

#31 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:36 PM

Weird indeed, as I have turned off the UAC, the antivirus, and I am signed in with admin rights.

UAC, Antivirus.jpg

I tried again now and the same thing happened, leading to the tab where I could test availability of downloads and present modes.

BWS.jpg

I'll try your suggestion and use your software for renaming.

My fantasy story

#32 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:57 PM

I've decided it is much simpler to me to delete the BWS installation game folder and start over. My BWS was previously on the desktop and perhaps that was the issue. I now have everything in the Games folder that i created for installing the game:Path.jpg

I am going to run "Start BiG World Setup - Update If Needed" now.

My fantasy story

#33 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:02 AM

Everything seems to be going well this time. Other than the Xan audio issue, nothing else reported  as failed, availability of downloads was tested and present modes tested as well. I am going to close the internet connection now according to the instructions and continue with the process.

BWS Install.jpg

My fantasy story

#34 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:35 AM

Finished. No error reports other than Homeward Bound and that Xan Audio issue earlier in the process. When I run "Start BiG World Setup - Update If Needed" again, This is what I got:

Untitled.jpg

Since space isn't an issue for me, I don't need to run the .bat in order to delete and save some space. May I assume that I don't need to use BWS anymore and that I can start checking / play-testing? By the way, where can I find a list of installed mods in order to keep an eye for them while playing in order to check if they work properly?

Edited by quinlan, 06 March 2017 - 01:39 AM.

My fantasy story

#35 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:40 AM

Finished. No error reports other than Homeward Bound and that Xan Audio issue earlier in the process. When I run "Start BiG World Setup - Update If Needed" again, This is what I got:

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Since Space isn't an issue for me, I don't need to run the .bat in order to delete and save some space. May I assume that I don't need to use BWS anymore and that I can start checking / play-testing? By the way, where can I find a list of installed mods in order to keep an eye for them while playing in order to check if they work properly?

BWS has done its job.

There are two (text) files in your game directory:

WeiDU-BGEE.log  >>> all the mods (down to component level you have installed on BG1 part of the game)

WeiDU.log >>> all the mods (down to component level you have installed on BG2 part of the game)

Note that depending on the mod, those technically installed in BG2 part may nevertheless impact the BG1/SoD part.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#36 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:51 AM

BWS has done its job.

Indeed it has and I must say that the experience is smooth and trouble-free if one follows instructions.

There are two (text) files in your game directory:

WeiDU-BGEE.log  >>> all the mods (down to component level you have installed on BG1 part of the game)

WeiDU.log >>> all the mods (down to component level you have installed on BG2 part of the game)

The only WeiDU log files I have in the "Big World Independent Installation" game directory are these and they don't have a list:

Attached File  Big World Independent Installation WeiDU.log   600bytes   126 downloads

Attached File  Big World Independent Installation WeiDU-201703060832.log   270bytes   124 downloads

I also have a WeiDU in the Baldur's Gate game directory (no list here):

Attached File  Baldur's Gate WeiDU.log   270bytes   132 downloads

and a WeiDU in the Baldur's Gate 2 game directory (no list here):

Attached File  Baldur's Gate 2 WeiDU.log   270bytes   132 downloads

Am I missing something?

Also, about the  BG1/SoD part, I have installed the original game from GOG, not the EE version.

I could always run "Start BiG World Setup - Update If Needed" and get the info about the various mods, but shouldn't I have a WeiDU log somewhere?

I am worried if WeiDU log is missing or incorrect since it doesn't have all the detailed info it should have, there may be other issues as well. If I don't have the correct WeiDU - and I cannot seem to be able to find it, then how do I know that everything has been downloaded and installed properly?

Edited by quinlan, 06 March 2017 - 12:35 PM.

My fantasy story

#37 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:19 PM

Has anybody got an idea what happened to my WeiDU.log? There are only a few lines in it, not a complete list of mods. 

Edited by quinlan, 06 March 2017 - 11:20 PM.

My fantasy story

#38 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:51 PM

Is there a way by running BWS to check what has gone wrong with the WeiDU.log?

My fantasy story

#39 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:54 AM

This is a list of all files in the "Big World Independent Installation" directory. It appears that mods have been downloaded, but the WeiDU.log has nothing to show for it.

Attached File  Big World Independent Installation.txt   8.59MB   360 downloads

My fantasy story

#40 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:07 AM

This is a list of all files in the "Big World Independent Installation" directory. It appears that mods have been downloaded, but the WeiDU.log has nothing to show for it.

attachicon.gifBig World Independent Installation.txt

Sorry for my confusion

WeiDU-BGEE.log 

WeiDU.log

Those logs are only for EET install - you did BGT (or tried to). You would just have the one log. (WeiDU.log)

Anyway, it seems very little was installed, not even BGT itself. What do you get when you start the game?

Edited by Roxanne, 07 March 2017 - 04:12 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*