A new start (again) for BG game plus mods

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:58 AM

Read the post above yours...

Bad timing, I was typing while you did as well!

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#62 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:05 AM

Is there a reason why the BiG World Setup folder has those ugly brackets ? They might end eventually causing some problems... or not, but I wouldn't rely on them to not.

Yeah, but I was faster. :devil: :devil: :tease: :clown: :twisted:

Edited by The Imp, 09 March 2017 - 01:06 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#63 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:21 AM

Is there a reason why the BiG World Setup folder has those ugly brackets ? They might end eventually causing some problems... or not, but I wouldn't rely on them to not.

Yeah, but I was faster. :devil: :devil: :tease: :clown: :twisted:

No particular reason other than me wanting to have all not game-related folders in the Games folder seperate from the 2 BG ones. You are right, it is ugly. I am going to create a separate folder for everything not game-related  (backup, portraits, BWS, pdfs, etc) in the Games folder. This way I'll have only 3 folders.

How do I use the spoiler tag? I'd rather avoid a long post like the one I did for posting the baldur.ini.

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#64 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:23 AM

I'd better correct the BG1 baldur.ini as well, just in case.

My fantasy story

#65 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:34 AM

How do I use the spoiler tag?

You remove the spaces from these, when you copy paste, type it or what not: [ spoiler ] text [ /spoiler ]
Or you just go and click the "BBCode Mode" if it's off, then click the "Special BBCode" -button, select the spoiler, insert the text or just type/copy-paste and then click OK.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#66 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:40 AM

:new_thumbs:

My fantasy story

#67 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:01 AM

So far so good:

Untitled.jpg

What link is this? Having decided to create the "BiG World"-instance, does this mean that I am going to be using this link I am asked to create for starting the game?

My fantasy story

#68 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:29 AM

Part of the BWS process is to "Test availability of the downloads" and "Test present mods":

After testing availability BWS comes up with "All selected downloads were found":

Attached File  BiG World Link Debug.txt   25.5K   407 downloads

After testing present mods, it comes up with a few mods missing from the downloads folder:

Attached File  BiG World Checking Debug.txt   10.15K   198 downloads

How can this be? Plus, no matter how many times I did the tests, always the same result as the 1st time.

I got bored from trying repeatedly, so I decided to carry on with the process. It is going well so far:

Untitled.jpg

Still going ok, no error messages so far:

Untitled.png

Edited by quinlan, 10 March 2017 - 02:35 AM.

My fantasy story

#69 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:06 AM

The installation has finished.

Untitled.png

Attached File  BiG World Install Debug.7z   887.99K   123 downloads

However, a few mods weren't installed:

C:\Users\Sofi-bo\Games\Role Playing\Baldur's Gate 2>The following originally selected mods could not be installed:

Mod: Polytweak
Component: PnP mind flayer attacks
Component: Improved (less buggy) trolls
Component: Improved Umberhulks
Component: Improved Yuan-Ti
Component: Improved Minotaurs
Component: Corrected Vampire Stats
Component: Related Weapon Proficiencies -> Related Weapon Proficiencies including clubs
Component: Anomen
Component: Jaheira -> Dual wielding
Component: Keldorn
Component: Valygar
Component: Viconia
Component: Distinctive Icons for Blackrazor and Flametongue
Component: PnP mace of disruption

Mod: Homeward Bound
Component: Homeward Bound
Component: Romances end due to separation -> Original game behavior is unchanged

Also, the following mods were listed as missing from the downloads folder during the testing at the beginning of the process:

BiG World Fixpack (includes Trimpack)
Sarevok Friendship
Polytweak
Baldur's Gate Trilogy Graphics Overhaul
One Pixel Productions

My chosen installation was for the BWS "Recommended" selection. I didn't add anything on my own. So, what do I do now with all these missing mods? Is there a way to install them or should I leave it as it is, no additional tampering? Bear in mind that this is just a play-test in order to familiarize myself with the process, therefore I am not against a little more tampering. The worst thing to happen is I am forced to do a new clean install and I am OK with this possibility, in fact I count on having a few new clean installs until I am ready to go for the custom installation I have in mind.

My fantasy story

#70 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:55 AM

What would be the purpose of restoring? Is it to perhaps find the missing mods? This is a hypothetical question. I have just realized that I didn't create back-up through BWS. I was thinking that if sh*t hits the fan, I'd better do a delete everything and start from scratch. I see now that wasn't a wise decision... So, at least I can do the manual stuff like polytweak, is that right? are any of the others possibilities for manual download as well, except the "Homeward bound". Also, ALIEN, how may I help you with your question at the beginning of this thread?

May I ask which mods will you choose to play using BGT? I would like to see which essential mods are missing for EE version. You can export whole selection of mods/components using upper-left menu at the mod/component list

My fantasy story

#71 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:52 AM

I am really an amateur here. :doh:  It just dawned on me that what I thought of as mods is just two mods, "Polytweak" and "Homeward Bound" with many components between them. And the rest are already inside BWS, so they must have been installed in the end.

I found "Polytweak" and tested it with Bitdefender full version in both zipped and unzipped form. It is virus-free. The reason I was worried was the mediafire link for download. Here it is in case anybody else wants it:  Attached File  Polytweak_v2.0.rar   886.86K   120 downloads

Now, how do I use it? Do I copy it packed or unpacked in the "BiG World Downloads" folder? And after I do copy it, do I run it by myself or do I use the BWS to install it? If it is me, it has to be unpacked in order to run the setup file, but if it is BWS I have seen it installing zipped folders. Can it be done now, after the recommended installation has finished, or will its inclusion now (out of order) create a problem?

The reason I am asking is because I found ALIEN answered this question in 2015 and I am wondering if it still holds truth in 2017, or has the BWS been updated enough to overcome this:

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:55 PM

Torvald, on 18 May 2015 - 00:04, said:snapback.png

1.  Now that my BWS install is complete, is it possible to install any additional mods or is it too late?

It's too late because install order will be fuckedup. Also reisntalling BWS Mega-Installation is 95% likely to fail because of not all mods can be uninstalled properly.

Edited by quinlan, 11 March 2017 - 01:14 AM.

My fantasy story

#72 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:53 AM

Is there a way to jump into specific chapters in the game? It would be great if i could go to wherever/whenever a mod is scheduled to activate itself in order to check most if not all of them for inconsistencies, without having to play through the whole game.

My fantasy story

#73 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

Is there a way to jump into specific chapters in the game? It would be great if i could go to wherever/whenever a mod is scheduled to activate itself in order to check most if not all of them for inconsistencies, without having to play through the whole game.

You can use console commands to

SetGlobal("Chapter","Global",X) where X is the chapter number you want

and then

MoveToArea("arYYYY") where YYYY is the area designator of the area where you want to go.

However that is only part of it, unless you know and can set all the other variables a quest/mod requires. Many things have more dependecies than just chapter (globals, solved quests before, items etc).

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#74 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

Ok, thanks. It helps, even considerig the variables. If a mod has a detailed description i may know about them as well and thusly speed up the process of checking it by doing tasks relevant for it.

My fantasy story

#75 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:34 AM

Out of curiosity, I deleted everything and did a new BWS install. This time there is no failure reported, other than "Homeward Bound". Even "Polytweaks" that was an issue before was successfully installed.

C:\Users\Sofi-bo\Games\Role Playing\Baldur's Gate 2>The following originally selected mods could not be installed:

Mod: Homeward Bound
Component: Homeward Bound
Component: Romances end due to separation -> Original game behavior is unchanged

Attached File  BiG World Install Debug.7z   890.21K   114 downloads

My fantasy story

#76 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:38 AM

Ok, this is it then. I will start the play-testing phase. I think I am getting used to the process now.

My fantasy story

#77 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:26 AM

@quinlan, may I suggest that you go to the first post, edit it, maybe hide the post original content in spoilers, and attach your weidu.log into it and then continue from there on.. maybe.

#78 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

@quinlan, may I suggest that you go to the first post, edit it, maybe hide the post original content in spoilers, and attach your weidu.log into it and then continue from there on.. maybe.

This got very long-winded until i got my bearings. Your suggestion has a lot of merit. Much can be and will be deleted in order to shorten it.

About Homeward Bound, what is this osx?

My fantasy story

#79 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:25 AM

About Homeward Bound, what is this osx?
Google says it's the Mac Operation System... which means in this case that the BWS will download the Mac version of the archive, as the Windows one doesn't work that great, and then just force use it as the base for the Windows version, as when you know how, it's very easy to do, especially in BWS(as you have the latest weidu.exe downloaded already).

Edited by The Imp, 14 March 2017 - 06:26 AM.

#80 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:43 PM

Having gotten the hang of installing BWS (at least as a beginner), I think it is better to stop posting here and start a new thread following The Imps suggestion to post the weidu.log and start from there with any questions I have with regard to the gameplay of my recommended installation.

My fantasy story