Photo

Is there a place where I.E. modders can socialize and work together?

Looking for Group

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WithinAmnesia

WithinAmnesia
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

I am wondering if there is a voice channel or a round table or something that is not text based back and forth, wait a day or week or month to get a reply. In multiplayer games there are voice services (like Discord) that get people on the same 'channel'. Voice communication makes all of the organization / general social environment a 1000 times better (in my opinion). It is one step away from everyone going to a shared office and working together on a project (like how every professional video game studio operates).

I have been working (practically) alone on video games for over a decade now and I really want to get cracking and socialize with like-minded people on here for I have not met anyone in my life who is a nerd like myself with a similar passion and ambition to work on video games. No one person. I have lived over the years in many different towns and cities, schools, house holds etc. you name it and I have found no one to work with.

Video games require a group of people to really make them in all honesty. I have tried to be on the outside and give my work away to Beamdog, Bioware, Blizzard, Wargaming etc. (with success but I found no people to work with). I am looking for people to work with on some type of Baldur's Gate project and to actually have a real conversation with instead of 'basement warrior' work alone, in the dark, in solitude. I am a social person it it is driving myself absolutely nuts not being able to work with people on something I love. I am sick to death with this 1600's text based back and forth introverted form of communication where everything takes years to get done. I am just frustrated and looking to for a way to talk and work on Baldur's Gate with like-minded people instead of working alone for years and years.

Edited by WithinAmnesia, 05 March 2017 - 02:37 PM.

#2 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

Not really. There aren't that many people left still interested in BG modding anyway, which is why the boards are pretty quiet and lifeless last years. A decade ago there's been a lot more activity around here.

Retired from modding.

#3 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

I would be interested but my hours are not consistent enough to reliably schedule anything.  Do you have your own project, or did you just want to team up on something?  I bug my friends with my stuff, but because none of them are tech-savvy or modders, I have to translate things into analogies, which makes their feedback less than ideal.

#4 WithinAmnesia

WithinAmnesia
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

I would be interested but my hours are not consistent enough to reliably schedule anything.  Do you have your own project, or did you just want to team up on something?  I bug my friends with my stuff, but because none of them are tech-savvy or modders, I have to translate things into analogies, which makes their feedback less than ideal.

Well I have a whole bunch of projects (N.P.C.s, encounters, vendors, quests, new areas - a micro/community-made expansion really) although I really want to just talk to Baldur's Gate modders and work on something together. http://www.shsforums...urs-gate/page-4 is something that I would like to see finished although I cannot find a way to help the team outside of making in-game lore books for them.

I wonder if we could have a Baldur's Gate discord with a modders channel in there to help bring the community together. I have used Discord to raid with in World of Warcraft and it is a great community tool to empower like-minded people all across the world that cannot meet in person (like most ourselves herein).

I would love to (for a change) work with (a) modder(s) over discord on something on Baldur's Gate related projects although I guess there needs to be something akin to meetings and times set up for a Baldur's Gate Modding Bash. Perhaps some type of round table meeting could work where we talk about our projects and find ways to work together on Baldur's Gate.

#5 WithinAmnesia

WithinAmnesia
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

I made a discord channel for Baldur's Gate (invite information: https://discord.gg/pfmybNM )

How to Join:

Step 1: Download Discord: https://discordapp.com/ and make an account

Step 2: Open Discord and on the left side there should be a "+" sign click that and then a window will appear with create or join channel, click join channel

Step 3: Enter this information into the instant invite space " https://discord.gg/pfmybNM " and press join (the channel icon is a skull on the left in the channel tab)

Step 4: Adjust your microphone settings from the bottom left gear button (settings) and find the " Voice " tab for input / output settings (remember press "Done")

Step 5: Double click on a voice channel (on the left) and your username should appear within the voice channel if successful (then talk and socialize!)

Step 6: ??? (Profit)