Recommended BWS install

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:43 AM

Greetings, 

I have recently used BWS for a recommended installation of BGTAttached File  WeiDU.log   66.67K   332 downloads

It went well, all of the mods were installed with the exception of Polytweaks which I did manually by copying it into the "BiG World Downloads" folder. The only other mod with an issue is "Homeward Bound" which has recently been fixed (thanks Alien!). How do I install it? Can I do it individually, or do I have to pass through the long process of the full recommended installation again?

Now that I am ready to play, which file should I use for running the game?

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#2 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:49 AM

Greetings, 

I have recently used BWS for a recommended installation of BGTattachicon.gifWeiDU.log

It went well, all of the mods were installed with the exception of Polytweaks which I did manually by copying it into the "BiG World Downloads" folder. The only other mod with an issue is "Homeward Bound" which has recently been fixed (thanks Alien!). How do I install it? Can I do it individually, or do I have to pass through the long process of the full recommended installation again?

Now that I am ready to play, which file should I use for running the game?

Game launches with BGMain.exe from your BG2 directory. (or a desktop link you make to it.)

And "Homeward Bound" - there is not really a reason (that I see) why you may not simply install it manually on top of your finished install (it has no hard dependencies and does not add to worldmap). And if anything goes wrong, you can uninstall it without impact on the rest.

Edited by Roxanne, 15 March 2017 - 01:56 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#3 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:03 AM

Even the recommended BWS install comes with tones of mods. Are there any suggestions about most probable places where issues may arise in order for me to check them? I am talking about BGT, so that means both BG (1+2) and TOB. I would like to play-test them a bit before I go through with attempting my custom BWS install.

I have walked around Candlekeep a bit and so far everything looks ok (graphics, interactions, item equipment, resting, quests, etc). I plan on console commands to jump to different chapters and fool around a bit.

Edited by quinlan, 15 March 2017 - 04:21 AM.

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#4 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:50 AM

I would suggest that you might want to check that all the NPCs you intend to force to join with you, do so voluntarily, and don't cause cliches after the first talk session. Aka you teleport to them, talk and see that they join, check the chars class and possible end game equipment, possible spells etc kit related, and then advance time a few in game weeks and wait that they initiate dialog, and see what happens. Including after the dialog is over.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

Very good suggestions, thanks.

My fantasy story

#6 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:24 AM

Every time I exit the game I get an open tobex console and this windows message:

Spoiler

No other effect associated with it. I click on "Close the program" and that's the end of it. Is this something to worry about?

Edited by quinlan, 18 March 2017 - 04:07 AM.

My fantasy story

#7 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:27 AM

Is this something to worry about?

No

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#8 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:48 AM

Going through the list of installed mods I noticed the absence of "Shadow Over Soubar" and "The Darkest Day". I remember them as two of the largest mods created years ago. How come they haven't been included in the BWS recommended install for BGT? Still smoothing out bug issues?

Ascalon's Quest Pack I mod readme mentions "the lost son" gore. How can I enable it ingame?

Edited by quinlan, 16 March 2017 - 02:28 AM.

My fantasy story

#9 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

How come they haven't been included in the BWS recommended install for BGT? Still smoothing out bug issues?
Readjusting of the mods priority... they can still be found in the other compilations, of which the Tactical is the LARGEST allegedly WORKING one. Of course you should OF course choose that and then REMOVE mods you don't absolutely REQUIRE to be in the compilation ... to lessen the chance of not being able to complete everyquestandmarrytheprincessprinceandthewholekingdomcontryandstuff.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#10 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:07 AM

When I am ready for my custom BWS BGT I plan on using Sarevok, Viconia and Solaufein NPCs in my party. Does this mean that I can delete all the rest of the NPC mods from my installation? If stability risk is decreased, I could check every mod I don't plan on using from every category and delete the unwanted ones.  Also, should I use Recommended or Tactical as a base for my custom one and start adding from there? I know I am getting ahead of myself, but as soon as I try your suggestions for stability of the current recommented installation I plan on trying my own custom one.

chance of not being able to complete everyquestandmarrytheprincessprinceandthewholekingdomcontryandstuff.

OMG...  :crying:   :crying:   :crying:   :crying:

IcannotbeBhaalspawnwithouttheprincessthekingdomandstuff!!!  :crying:   :crying:   :crying:

Edited by quinlan, 17 March 2017 - 12:18 AM.

My fantasy story

#11 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:42 AM

When I am ready for my custom BWS BGT I plan on using Sarevok, Viconia and Solaufein NPCs in my party. Does this mean that I can delete all the rest of the NPC mods from my installation? If stability risk is decreased, I could check every mod I don't plan on using from every category and delete the unwanted ones. Also, should I use Recommended or Tactical as a base for my custom one and start adding from there? I know I am getting ahead of myself, but as soon as I try your suggestions for stability of the current recommented installation I plan on trying my own custom one.
If you start from Tactical, you can't really add a thing as you already have everything but the eXpert mods which are all full of bugs.
And if you plan on using the set of NPCs, then yeah you can and probably should remove the rest of NPC mods... because they can add things that slow the games obligatory file progress by small margin... but when there's hundreds of NPCs, the margins grow a lot. This is also because you can next time, make a new BWS install if you deside to restart the game with different NPCs, and thus manage the build based on those NPCs.

#12 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:08 AM

You should definitely do this if you don't want to wonder why some quests are different.

Good point. 

If I create multiclass characters, will the level cap permit me to advance them to max 40th level in all classes?

I remember there was a tweak to make it maximum char level 50. Is this included in the recommended install somewhere and how does it interact with the advancement in all classes of a multiclass character?

Since we are talking about a heavily modded game, is there a mod for having a multiclass character with kits in each class instead of the generic class in each category? If yes, how stable is it?

Edited by quinlan, 17 March 2017 - 03:00 AM.

My fantasy story

#13 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:28 AM

Since we are talking about a heavily modded game, is there a mod for having a multiclass character with kits in each class instead of the generic class in each category? If yes, how stable is it?
Depends, which exact rules you install ? The default won't ... the Tweakpacks 50th level ruleset do, as well as the max 50... and the mod x can cheese your install so bad that your level 2 char gets killed via level up, so it's very hard to tell the exact situation you are under unles you try leveling up and seeing.
So my suggestion of course that, you should try via console cheating.

#14 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:05 AM

Found it. BGT Tweak Pack [9 Feb 12] [EN]* allows for max 50th. Does it work for multiclass characters in each individual class, or is it 50 total?

My fantasy story

#15 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:45 AM

Yeah, duh, it's for single class 50... so you can make a 50/50/50 for the 2 that there are. As the XP limit is in the sky... with is 2^32-1 aka 4 294 967 295, compare that to the original 8 000 000, it's just about 500 times more. Of course you should be able to max out somewhere near 40 000 000xp with triple 50 level char.
May I suggest that you don't use a XP bonus effects you did the times before... yes, I remember.

Edited by The Imp, 17 March 2017 - 08:03 AM.

#16 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:25 AM

May I suggest that you don't use a XP bonus effects you did the times before... yes, I remember.

I did? I really don't remember what I used before. Always something though... This time for my custom I want it to be different :whistling: , no cheats once I start playing my custom, no console, shadowkeeper, etc. :whistling:

Seriously now, I want to see if I can make it with just 3 characters through BG1, then Viconia and solaufein first thing when BG2 kicks in for a total of 5 and then Sarevok for a full 6-member party for TOB. I may take a few NPCs along the way if the going gets tough, but only as hirelings, to be discarded at first opportunity... :twisted:  I want to try a neutral party that cares not for evil or good, just a bit of law...

My fantasy story

#17 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

Seriously now, I want to see if I can make it with just 3 characters through BG1, then Viconia and solau..
You do know that Viconia is in BG1 too, right ? She is South from Beregost if you have the tweak that moves the NPCs, and if not, then she is south from where the Banditcamp will be.

And law is such over rated stuff... Kagain is wonderful, as is Edw... no, he should be killed for the cheating bastard he is, Conjurers should never be able to cast fireball spells.

Edited by The Imp, 17 March 2017 - 02:38 PM.

#18 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

You do know that Viconia is in BG1 too, right ? She is South from Beregost if you have the tweak that moves the NPCs, and if not, then she is south from where the Banditcamp will be.

Yeah! Excellent! I have not played BG1 for so long I had totally forgotten that it is possible to have Viconia there!!!

There is this expert mode mod for subraces I noticed, now I want to create a party of 3 drow in BG1 (4 with Viconia), then 5 in BG2 with Solaufein and then Sarevok in TOB. It will be a drow adventure. Has anybody played the game with a drow party or a few drow in the mix?

On a different note, I created a character at TOB to check the "Multi-Class Grandmastery (Weimer)" option of the BGT Tweak Pack and it didn't work out. I could only assign 2 slots max at a weapon with a multiclass fighter.

My fantasy story

#19 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:12 PM

On a different note, I created a character at TOB to check the "Multi-Class Grandmastery (Weimer)" option of the BGT Tweak Pack and it didn't work out. I could only assign 2 slots max at a weapon with a multiclass fighter.
Are you sure it was that tweak, and not the Grand Mastery +1 attack speed tweak... yah there's at least two tweaks for the mastery in the one mod.
You could just edit the weaprof.2da and profsmax.2da files to tweak that, and the next....
Besides that, you have to level up the char ... as you start the game with a level 1 char and you can only put two points to anywhere, forcing you to specialize in at least two weapons... while you can later develop up to 5 stars when you level up at level 6...8 or so.. this was actually heavily requested feature in BGT-weidu's programming in the ancient days when it wasn't finished, as the BG1 had the same feature.

Edited by The Imp, 17 March 2017 - 03:15 PM.

#20 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

I thought of that, so I went to TOB and created a f/m/t and used cluaconsole to increase xp and level up. Still max 2. Then I went to BG1 and created a 1st level character, cluaconsoled 30000 xp for level up, got a new weapon slot but couldn't put in in a weapon that I had already 2 slots. Then I went to BG2 SoA and created a new pc in a multiplayer save, still max 2 slots for any weapon for multiclassed... weird. Isn't there an active grand mastery tweak in the recommended mode for multiclassed characters?

My fantasy story