Photo

Does it matter where to put the save?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:06 PM

I'm using the Use EFF File opcode, and it points to a file with Cast Spell. I can put the saving throw either in the Use EFF or inside the EFF itself. Does it matter where? At the moment I have a save with -4 in the opcode but nothing in the EFF itself (or in the spell it points to), and I don't think the creature attempts to roll. If only a save inside the EFF matters, then how can I factor in things like the level of the caster? I can't create a new EFF for each Spell Ability.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:11 AM

Does it matter, yes.

Did you do it right, probably yes.

You'll still should notice that indeed, you can create a new eff for each spell ability. You just copy paste and edit the EFF in each. If we talk about what Near Infinity labels them as. You'll also notice the .eff's and the .spl's eff are the same but also different, in that you can export the one(and have it used with opcode 177) while the other is attached to the .spl file itself.

Edited by The Imp, 29 March 2017 - 01:18 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

Okay, I should probably explain the situation. I don't see the penalty in the Use EFF opcode working. It is -4, and the save is vs. spell. It is being cast on a gnome wizard, but he is still only 1st level and should fail more often. Just now I've gone and increased the penalty to -12, and he still saves about as often. This makes me suspect that the penalty is not being applied, and it's just a regular saving throw. This may be because there is a redirect system in place, where effects are moved about, and the saving throw may move on to another person, or it may fall through.

The spell I'm making is Delude, a 3rd level Alteration that swaps the alignments of the caster and target. It took figuring out, but eventually I did it. The spell looks at the alignment of the caster and applies that to the target, then, or rather at the same time, looks at the alignment of the target and applies it to the caster. This is how the caster's alignment is carried over and pasted.

The original spell's Spell ability is Living actor-targeted, but the Use EFF Effect is targeted at Self. The filter chosen is Alignment, let's say Lawful Neutral in this case, like my gnome caster. Here, in this Effect, I have the -4 penalty to save. The EFF file is Cast spell at Preset target. The spell it invokes is Living actor-targeted and its Effect is for Preset target. It changes alignment to Lawful Neutral. This setup is repeated 8 times for all of the alignments.

To do the opposite and give the target's alignment to the caster I have 9 more Effects with Use EFF in the original spell. Instead of Self, they are targeted at Preset target (which, I remind, is Living actor for the spell as a whole) and also specify alignments. The -4 penalty is here. The EFF file is again Cast Spell, Preset target, but the secondary spells and their alignment-setting effects in this case are Living actor-Original caster.

Because this system bounces the checks around, the saving throw penalty may fall through somewhere. The saves are shown in the bottom window as made by Maurle, my caster, both times. For example, I have him cast Delude on Shar-Teel. When the spell succeeds completely, she becomes LN and he becomes CE. But when only one save is made, then the caster may only give his alignment or only take the other's, and the two become of the same mold. This is intentional and fun. Maybe the other alignment has fallen in transalignmental space, or perhaps one of the two has split in a sort of philosophical mitosis and consumed the other. :D But even when Shar-Teel remains unaffected and only Maurle turns CE, the window attributes the successful roll(s) to Maurle. I don't know and can't tell whether the bouncing-around of effects makes him save for both of them or it was really Shar-Teel who resisted, but the engine lists Maurle as the author of the spell and its effects. This seems more likely, because whoever would have been affected as the target must be the one who fought off the spell.

Edited by temnix, 29 March 2017 - 07:41 PM.

#4 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

Edit: never mind. The rolls are made by the proper creatures. Tested on Firebead Elvenhair. I don't know why they didn't show for the party members when I cast the spell on them.