Photo

Do item properties or effects linger in files?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:02 AM

I have an item that changes a creature's colors when it's equipped. One of the details I overwrote the colors for was the plume of the helmet (opcode Set Color). I experimented for a while with a white plume recolor, at some probability, then abandoned the idea and deleted the effect. But the white plume recurs. In another file I've thought to changing armor color to a shiny gold, the major color to blue. It didn't work that well, I replaced it with better combinations, but creatures colored that way continue to pop up somehow. I've scanned the lists of effects up and down - they are quite gone. I've tried renaming files, making the creatures unequip the item, rolling back to the BIFF versions of creatures, making a copy of the item with a different file name and pasting the effects there. It still happens. The only thing I haven't tried is make a new ITM file from scratch, instead of copying the old file. A bit too much work and no guarantee this behavior will end.

Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else?

#2 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:22 PM

The answer may be simpler than I thought - I probably used one of the colors that say "Color drawn from randcolr.2da." How does this 2da work? It's not a total randomness, these colors are used in many places, and they always show the same way. The Shadow Armor's black is from here. On the other hand, the colors of summoned hobgoblins, if you spawn HOBGOBSU by hand a few times, really are random - and none are actually the colors of this creature's CRE file! The major and minor colors in the CRE are bright metallic shades from randcololr.2da, nothing like what hobgoblins get in the game. Neither are the rest here, and hobgoblins don't come equipped with any color-changing items either. Only summoned hobgoblins are random, the ones in the game are straightforward.

So, what?

#3 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

Update for those to whom this also has happened: I don't know the reason for this lingering, but the solution is to put a 100-0 blocking recolor before your actual color choices for the troublesome part. For example, if you keep getting a carry-over color for Armor/Trimming, write effects like this:

Set Color - Armor/Trimming - probability 100 - 0

Set Color - Armor/Trimming - probability 100 - 97

Set Color - Armor/Trimming - probability 96 - 90

The first one serves to block any possible earlier colors.