Photo

Do we need weapon paperdoll shadows and why there's still none?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:20 AM

While learning myself to handle paperdolls I have noticed that weapon & shield paperdolls don't have a shadow attached to it. With a body having a shadow the result is somewhat immersion breaking in my opinion. This poor elf in the pic below has got hit by the issue the worst:
Spoiler

This lack of weapon/shield shadows is obvious oversight in my opinion, so I started thinking if there's actual reason they were omitted. Even 1PP, while adding shield shadow, didn't touch weapon. Why? Was there a discussion somewhere some 10 years ago where community decided we don't need weapon shadows, was there some engine limitations perhaps?

Since I was trying to create weapon paperdolls anyway I digressed a bit to add some shadow to it to see if it will improve the overall impression. I am attaching the result here: what do you think, does these shadows add to or decrease overall perception of the paperdoll? Doesn't the shadows overload the image with excess details?
Spoiler

Edited by Creepin, 21 May 2017 - 07:24 AM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

It's never a bad thing to have the shadows there...
But did I see a shadow there last time... nope. Why did I not see one, cause I play with 1920x1200 from 24" monitor, and I looked a picture that's ~1/4rth of the one in your spoiler ... there's not much to see unless "you look" for it. There, the immersion.. not the highest priority. :devil:

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:15 AM

Haha, I see your reasoning. I have 24" too, but no matter the monitor size I always play BG in 800x600 to keep it closer to what I am used to since the beginning. And to make sure I don't miss some little details like, you know, shadows ;)

#4 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:59 AM

It took me over ten years and this thread to realize there're paperdoll shadows in BG :)

Retired from modding.

#5 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

It took me over ten years and this thread to realize there're paperdoll shadows in BG :)

I think this gives a hint regarding why shadows were never addressed before :D

Edited by Creepin, 21 May 2017 - 12:09 PM.

#6 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:50 PM

Try adding shadows to the longbow and 2-handed sword.  They cover the character's leg (in ToSC anyway), so if they look ok with shadows, I think adding them to the paperdolls would be a good idea and nice addition.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage