Kova and Wizard Familiars

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 -TrancingBear-

-TrancingBear-

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:05 PM

I've isolated a weird bug.  Shortly after adding K&K, I noticed that my familiar (a pseudo dragon) no longer spawns.  I hear the sound of the spawning, but my PC doesn't move as he normally does and the familiar doesn't appear.  What's more, the familiar object in my inventory is gone.

I isolated the issue to it being whenever Kova is in the party and is alive.  Yes, alive.  Follow these steps:

- Without Kova in the party, spawn the familiar and then store it back in your pack, just to make sure it works.

- Add Kova.

- Now spawn the familiar again.  It doesn't appear, nor does the PC move to make room for the familiar to appear.

- Kill Kova (CNTR-Y).  Suddenly the PC moves and the familiar appears.  You can now put the familiar back in your pack and re-spawn as much as you like without issues.

- Now restore Kova (CNTR-R) and the issue with the familiar returns.

It's almost as if Kova's death variable is set to the same as the familiar's spawning variable ("fampsd"), but that's not it.  I'm pretty good at reading and editing scripts, but this one has me stumped.  I can't see anything in Kova's script that would prevent the familiar script in BALDUR.BCS from working.

Note that I've only tested this with the pseudo dragon.

#2 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:28 PM

Just an idea - I cannot veryfy it anymore since I changed from BGT to EET - but I played the mod in older days.

Take a look at some area scripts (all the main areas). When Kova is in your party, a lot of checks for the people hunting him are made (and sometimes they spawn to attack you). Check if maybe this code blocks the spawning of familiars.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#3 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.  To test your theory I ran through all of my steps above in multiple places: Copper Coronet, sewers and Purskal (from Darkest Day) to see if it had something to do with the area type (indoor, dungeon, outdoor).  None of them have the code you mention and the problem reproduces in all 3 of those settings.

#4 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:59 PM

UPDATE: I deleted all of the code in Z#KOVA.BCS and the problem still occurs.  Strange.

#5 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:00 PM

Okay, now it's even weirder.  I'm near the end of the Playhouse mission for the Bard stronghold.  When I kill Kova (CNTR-Y), Meck, Higgold's messenger boy suddenly shows up.  So it's not just my familiar ...

In looking for the code that spawns Meck, I noticed it's also in BALDUR.BCS, same as the familiar code.  What's more, Meck's and the familiar's code appear later in the script than the BTL code.  So on a whim I moved all of the BTL code to the bottom of BALDUR.BCS.  And what do you know, Meck and the familiar now show up like they should.

So it appears there is something in the BTL code that is preventing BALDUR.BCS from getting past the BTL code.  I haven't read any of the other bug reports on this board, but that one issue could cause all sorts of interesting issues with the game.

My work is done here.  :-)