Photo

Getting creatures to cast back

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:05 PM

I have a question. When a spell is for Living target, you can put effects there targeted at Self rather than Preset target. In this case the caster puts that on himself. If the effects for the Preset target include a Cast spell, then this second spell is cast on the target again for a Preset target, or on the caster with Self or Original Caster. If you include another Cast Spell and a third spell, then again Preset target is the creature and Self/Original is the caster. In all of these cases it's the caster who does all of the work. Any spells included in the chain, if "Cast normally," will show animation for the caster and the casting glow on his side. They are not passed along the chain, they are all done by the original caster. The question: can I get the target creature to cast something, back on the caster or on itself - at its own level? I mean, with opcodes?

#2 -kjeron-

-kjeron-

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:15 PM

You can easily make another creature cast area spells(Fireball) at their caster level instantly upon their location, this also works for spells in which all effects target "self" (Shield).

Base Spell:

Opcode 148, Target=Preset, Param2=1, Resource = Spell

You can make another creature cast preset-targeted spells(Magic Missile) at their caster level, but again limited to instantly and targeting themselves.

Base Spell:

Opcode 177, Target=Preset, Param2=2, Resource = EFF

Opcode 258, Target=Preset, Resource = (upper-case string)

EFF:

Opcode 256, Resource = Spell, Parent Resource = (same upper-case string)

You can make them reflect a single-target spell back at their caster level, reflection has a slight delay, almost never instant, you could probably force the casting animation with opcode 139:

Base Spell:

Opcode 207, Target=Preset, Resource = Sub1

Opcode 146, Target=Preset, Param2=1, Resource = Sub1

Opcode 139, Target=Preset, Param2=2

Sub1: Projectile=1

Opcode 146. Target=Preset, Param2=1, Resource = Spell

#3 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:43 PM

back on the caster or on itself -

You have to realize that the game has a bad side with this, it's that the caster level is the caster level of 1 or the specific kind of spell level that only they get... what I mean with that is that if the spell about to be casted is an arcane, and your char/monster is a cleric, your spell level is 1. Same with reverse, aka the mages casting level of divine spells is 1.

And that's fun for most mods that don't feature the SCS'es multi class tweak where the monsters level is set to all the .cre's levels. With probably comes with it's own problems.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:30 AM

You can easily make another creature cast area spells(Fireball) at their caster level instantly upon their location, this also works for spells in which all effects target "self" (Shield).

Base Spell:

Opcode 148, Target=Preset, Param2=1, Resource = Spell

You can make another creature cast preset-targeted spells(Magic Missile) at their caster level, but again limited to instantly and targeting themselves.

Base Spell:

Opcode 177, Target=Preset, Param2=2, Resource = EFF

Opcode 258, Target=Preset, Resource = (upper-case string)

EFF:

Opcode 256, Resource = Spell, Parent Resource = (same upper-case string)

You can make them reflect a single-target spell back at their caster level, reflection has a slight delay, almost never instant, you could probably force the casting animation with opcode 139:

Base Spell:

Opcode 207, Target=Preset, Resource = Sub1

Opcode 146, Target=Preset, Param2=1, Resource = Sub1

Opcode 139, Target=Preset, Param2=2

Sub1: Projectile=1

Opcode 146. Target=Preset, Param2=1, Resource = Spell

You're back! Good, I had some questions about scripts at Beamdog's. But with this, have you tested this info? These aren't the results I was getting for instant spells, even with Self or Caster as target. The target creature still casts Shield, for example, on the caster, not on itself. Or rather, as I said, if you enable normal casting times and glows, you can see that all of it is done by the caster. For example, if you try a Living actor, Preset target - > Cast spell - > Custom spell with Cast Spell effect, Larloch's Minor Drain, then with "Self" the caster hits himself with it, and with "Preset target" the caster sends it along at the target creature. In neither case is it the creature doing any casting back. I'll try your suggestions...