[solved] Custom itm BAM clutters the inventory with freeze frames

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:44 PM

I have a cutsom item which inventory BAM clutters the inventory screen with freeze frames when the item is moved. I have absolutely no experience with items or item creation (actually I am not even sure it's the BAM that is causing this but it doesn't happen for the item if I chose a different BAM) but could someone with more experience have a look what might be the problem?

Edited by jastey, 01 November 2017 - 04:26 AM.

#2 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:09 PM

Not much of a help, but for what it's worth: I have attached your bam to my item and moved, equipped and reequipped it extensively through my inventory - not a single freeze.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#3 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:32 PM

Item icon BAMs will do this in non-EE games if the dimensions are too large.  Maximum dimensions of the large icon is 64x64 pixels and the maximum dimensions of the small icon is 32x32 pixels.  Your large item icon is 55x71 pixels thus the graphics issues.

Edited by Sam., 31 October 2017 - 01:33 PM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#4 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:39 PM

Weird thing is that I tested it on classic, not EE.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#5 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:53 PM

The specifics of the "graphics issues" may be graphics card specific, but I have definitely seen what jastey is describing before, and it is definitely due to item icon dimensions greater than the maximum allowed (64x64 px for the large item icon).

Edited by Sam., 31 October 2017 - 01:54 PM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#6 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:01 PM

Thank you, this is good to know! What would be the tool of choice to reduce the BAM length? I don't have much luck with BamWorkshop1/2 which tends to crash more on my system if I want to do anything else than change colors. And working with GIMP usually destroys the colors no matter what settings I choose.

#7 Mirandel

Mirandel
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:18 AM

IrfanView? http://www.irfanview.com/  To change thing like size/resolution - nothing is faster or simpler. 

#8 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:20 AM

Thanks, but I'd prefer an editor used to IE-BAMs. My bad experience is that anything else will bork the shadow / transparency colors.

#9 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:47 AM

Try NI BAM converter tool and its post-processing process : Transform resize BAM frames.

You can as well use BAM Resizer, but for a single bam, it is just like using an atomic bomb to kill a fly.

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#10 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:24 AM

NI BAM Editor it is, indeed! I wasn't aware I can do this with the editor. (I only figured it out because you mentioned it.) Thanks!

#11 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:03 AM

I did hundreds of testing before Argent77 released it and you can trust me: it is the most convenient tool to recolor and resize existing bam files (except if you need a batch process. In this case, I would recommend Sam's tools), and to create brand new creature animations bam.

Edited by Gwendolyne, 01 November 2017 - 08:03 AM.

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#12 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:05 AM

This is great! Thank you for your time (this goes to Argent77 as well), it is very appreciated!

#13 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

The BAM Editor is nice for contrast, saturation and brightness, and resizing, but bright colors are hard to see against its background. And I, for one, can't get it to trim frames. What's called trimming is actually enlarging the canvas. So for cutting, and most other things, I use Microsoft Paint. (Dodges two bananas and a tomato.) Yes, Paint! It does the job for basic bitmaps, only it saves PNGs as 24-million color, and then the BAM Editor refuses to read them. You've got to re-save the files as 256 colors in some other software, Paint could do it, but I don't trust Paint not to screw up the colors reducing them. On the up side, MS Paint handles transparency well. Before you save/re-save files as 256 colors, just make the background pure white and the BAM Editor will automatically treat it as transparent. No need to use special transparency tools. And Paint is rather convenient for ground icons, where you have to make a turquoise outline for the Tab highlight. You just zoom in on that that tiny icon in Paint, make a 0/255/255 color and draw a 1-pixel border around the icon, against a white background. Save/re-save, and the ground icon is good to go.