Photo

Are the circles a bit off?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:38 PM

Looking closely, characters stand with one foot in their circle. That's vaguely disturbing.

cicrle.jpg

Who knows which BAMs the circles use? Maybe I should adjust the coordinates.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:09 AM

I would remember that this was brought up in the 1PP, and it had a fix for it... not that I'll be able to find a thread about that.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

What's 1PP?

#4 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

A sub forum right here. The name comes from "One Pixel production". It's part of the EE games too, so.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:56 PM

See Height Maps.

Also, foot circles are rendered by the engine and are not a BAM(s).  Also also, they are not true circles because of the isometric perspective, so please don't complain about that either.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:37 AM

Well, you see, it's because they're wearing high heels...

Non-trollish response: under which circumstances does this occur? As Sam. says, they are malleable (almost entirely within the EE engine last I checked), but it does take some "bumping" at times.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:41 AM

Always occurs, I think. They're just off.

#8 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:04 PM

The circle is entirely correct. With the heightmap pixel set to 15, you will see the circle shifted below the sprites, if it is set to 0, you will see the circle shifted above. The heightmap is best set to 7 for normal heights.

Avenger

#9 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:55 AM

How is it normal if they are half-out of there? You put on one ski and try walking, tell me if that's normal.

#10 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:08 AM

How is it normal if they are half-out of there? You put on one ski and try walking, tell me if that's normal.

Did you check the link Sam provided? EE works all the same.

Avenger

#11 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

Yeah, I looked there. If this is the best the engine can put them in those poses... Half-way out one direction or another half the time.

#12 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:45 PM

If you don't like how the game works, make a mod that changes it.  I for one do not appreciate your constant verbal disdain of the Infinity Engine:  if you think it is that awful, find another game to play.

You are perfectly welcome to make a mod that makes the world flat.  ps_bitmap_swap_pixel is a function I made to modify Search Maps, but it would be little trouble for you to modify it for what you want to do with Height Maps instead.  Just change every value in every Height Map to be 7, and the character/creatures feet will be centered in the foot circle.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#13 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:05 PM

Maps aren't exactly the perfection incarnate either, quite possible for poor height values to be scattered around, as even developers didn't always seem to know how to use the height properly. I just loaded up a couple random saves in BGEE, and the circles are about right there. In your screenshot, the party seems to stand on a cliff or something - I wouldn't be surprised if it got messed up in such spot (which area and [X.Y] is that?).

Retired from modding.

#14 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:29 AM

I for one do not appreciate your constant verbal disdain of the Infinity Engine:  if you think it is that awful, find another game to play.

LOL. But let's be honest, this is what we all do. Parody being the highest form of flattery and all that.

But yeah, it sounds like not so much a problem with the engine as the height maps, which are easy enough to adjust.

Edited by Miloch, 28 November 2017 - 03:36 AM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#15 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

Maps aren't exactly the perfection incarnate either, quite possible for poor height values to be scattered around, as even developers didn't always seem to know how to use the height properly. I just loaded up a couple random saves in BGEE, and the circles are about right there. In your screenshot, the party seems to stand on a cliff or something - I wouldn't be surprised if it got messed up in such spot (which area and [X.Y] is that?).

That was in Nashkel Mines, above the ground. But it's probably the same everywhere. That's just how characters are drawn, different poses that sometimes bring them half out of the circles. Eh, I can live with that.