Photo

Getting rid of the "item gone" sound

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:44 PM

It's hard to tell in advance what's news in this business and what's known, but here is a little maneuver I came across for avoiding that hard-coded "wzzh" sound for an item that runs out of charges or otherwise expends itself. In properties, "When drained," instead of "Item vanishes" choose "Replaced with used up" but don't enter anything into the "Used up item" field on the main page. The item will quietly remove itself. You must set the number of charges to some number other than 0 for this to work, though.

There is a variation on this technique for temporary items that vanish with that sound, like magic weapons. Put a Delay/Permanent effect in their properties, timed to a second before their normal expiration time, with Remove Inventory Item, and they will go quietly (and without a message). This effect removes the whole batch of the item in question. Not a problem for unequippable magic weapons, unless you've conjured them over several castings and want them to fade away in succession as well. I don't know if this effect will take away all of several stocks of the item split in the inventory or only the first one it finds.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:26 PM

So why not just re-voice the sound file by replacing it in the override folder ? One only needs to know the file name too do that... there's no need for bloddy hacks to dismiss items that have a natural way to be removed.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:46 AM

So why not just re-voice the sound file by replacing it in the override folder

Would not that override the sound for all the other items using it?

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#4 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:10 AM

Well, the "Getting rid of" usually implies to remove it completely from the game... as when the sound annoy's one, there's no limiting factor on how annoying it is, as even one is enough to annoy..
But then I usually read the topic title and assume stuff before reading the rest of the topic.. done this from the start when the net was a little slower than today. That's why the topic title is there.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:46 AM

The next step for you is to learn to read the rest of the text.

Yes, of course people don't want the sound to be gone everywhere.

#6 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

The main difference between destroyweapon (112) and destroyitem  (123) is that destroyweapon does an autopause (weapon gone). Both of them destroy the first item they find.

opcode 112 in EE can also destroy the item without a sound, with param1 = 3. 

Avenger