Photo

Color of strings

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

I think there are four basic colors of displayed strings. Not talking about dialogues here. Outside, there are these:

1) Off-white text, the basic spoken color, displayed with the Display String effect in spells, and also "this lock may not have a conventional" etc.

2) Blue text displayed with the DisplayString action, attributed and not. E.g. on entering Ulgoth's Beard.

3) Nice greenish text for "The journey took...", "The party rested...", "The Party Has Gained Experience" and other messages about mechanics.

4) The dark gold of the journal.

I realize that it's possible to change the default colors for the text and the journal, but I'm interested in using Soylent Green 3 to type out messages I want. Is that possible?

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:11 AM

I'm interested in using Soylent Green 3 to type out messages I want. Is that possible?

Yes, but only on Tuesday.

(Starts wondering when his race changed from orc to troll...)

[Edit: I would answer more fully with "I think so," but since I can't provide details, I'll let someone else (hopefully) do that.]

Edited by Miloch, 28 November 2017 - 04:15 AM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:15 AM

1. No. 

2. No.

Second answer is for the inevitable question, if i have any proof.

Ok.

You may want to experiment with strings like "^ 0x[10 letters hexcode for rgb] your text^"  - but i never tried this myself.

[edit]

Actually, it seems to work. Cut & paste this into console  ^0xff00ff00ffThis is soylent green^

Edited by Avenger_teambg, 28 November 2017 - 10:20 AM.

Avenger

#4 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

Does that work for non-attributed strings? They have a different font, too. How about strings in the TRA?

#5 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

I used ~^RYou may not rest in this place.^-~ text for #69033 in SoD to fake the hardcoded warning in red color on custom scriptable conditions.

// player1d.bcs, the dream script

IF
  OR(2)
  Global("bd_cant_rest","myarea",1)
  Global("bd_no_camp_rest","myarea",1)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    DisplayStringNoName(Player1,69033) // You may not rest in this place.
END

Non-attributed - don't know. TRA - unless WeiDU chokes on it during parsing (and why would it?), it should work fine.

(Starts wondering when his race changed from orc to troll...)

I'll help you out. BG2 is not really AD&D 2, because it has monks and sorcerers :tease:

Edited by GeN1e, 28 November 2017 - 03:41 PM.

Retired from modding.

#6 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:57 AM

This works for any strings in a textbox.  But, probably not for buttons. 

If you mean token parsing by attributed, then yeah, it doesn't care about the tlk flags. (Works in the console, even though the console cannot resolve tokens).

Avenger

#7 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:46 PM

The font is still wrong, though. Can't fool anyone.