Small portraits for non joinable NPC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 -Sogdiane-

-Sogdiane-

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:29 PM

Hello all

This is probably a "noob" question that I ask but I tried to assign small portraits to non joinable NPC (considering the fact that

BG1NPC, for instance, has deprecated them for copyright problems) in vain. 

It looks like I was naive in thinking I had only to take a small picture (with an "s" and not a "L") and rename it with the codename of the NPC.

Any idea?

Thanks

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:18 AM

You need to assign it in their .cre file. To do that, you need to edit npcs .cre file in Near Infinity, or DLTCEP. And then preferably copy that in a weidu mod... well, you'll have the file in the game folder from the editor of course, but the weidu mods are for others.

Edited by The Imp, 01 December 2017 - 12:34 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:22 AM

Hello all

This is probably a "noob" question that I ask but I tried to assign small portraits to non joinable NPC (considering the fact that

BG1NPC, for instance, has deprecated them for copyright problems) in vain. 

It looks like I was naive in thinking I had only to take a small picture (with an "s" and not a "L") and rename it with the codename of the NPC.

Any idea?

Thanks

Use Near Infinity to open the cre-file of the respective NPC and look up what the NPC' s portrait name is at offset 34 (small) and 3c (medium), then name a bmp file of the right size to that name and put it into override. For example Minsc has MinscM and MinscL in my game.

PS if some mod has put already another file into a folder *portraits* for that NPC, that one has higher priority, so either overwrite or delete it there.

Edited by Roxanne, 01 December 2017 - 12:24 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#4 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:39 AM

Use Near Infinity to open the cre-file of the respective NPC and look up what the NPC' s portrait name is at offset 34 (small) and 3c (medium), ...
To see what Roxanne is referring to in this, one needs to enable the hex offset option in the Options menu.
She forgot that it's not on by default.

It's the specifically the "Show Hex Offsets".

Edited by The Imp, 01 December 2017 - 05:31 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 -Sogdiane-

-Sogdiane-

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:45 AM

Use Near Infinity to open the cre-file of the respective NPC and look up what the NPC' s portrait name is at offset 34 (small) and 3c (medium), ...
To see what Roxanne is referring to in this, one needs to enable the hex offset option in the Options menu.
She forgot that it's not on by default. I also forgot the exact name... :P

I thank you  both of you.

I'll try to spend time in it.