Photo

Morale

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:52 AM

Who can tell me how morale works? Are there tables or other files that explain when morale checks are made? I have a general idea that the morale stat should be as high as possible and morale break as low as possible. When morale descends to morale break, the creature panics or goes berserk. But what exactly are the conditions for that? And what is the mysterious "morale recovery time?" If this is how quickly morale returns to the original value, what would setting it to a negative do?

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:16 AM

what would setting it to a negative do?
The break would last for years, as there's no true negative value for it, as 0 minus 1 is just 65536-1=65535. Well, that's not exactly years, but still... long enough.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

It doesn't seem to do anything. Anyway, I'm changing morale break instead. But I still would know the conditions of failure. Xvarts, for example, chicken out all the time, but their morale and morale break aren't any worse than ogres, who don't run very often. So I'd like to know whether seeing an ally fall is a factor, which is something that would happen to groups and not solitaries, of course. We have that mechanic for party members but I don't know if it applies to monsters too. Or do xvarts rather get scared by being outnumbered?

#4 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:33 PM

So I'd like to know whether seeing an ally fall is a factor,
If you mean die, then yes, that or get hit with a critical hit, which in Xvarts usually also means a death, too. Also if you have the Big Picture mod installed, the mod AI features an additional fright effect cycles. But I can't say what the AI creatures consider allies and what not.

To test the previous, make a creature that has morale of 2, with a long morale recovery time, 1 as break and make two(using C:CreateCreature("...") using the same creature within each others detection range, and Ctrl-Y the second, and look how long time it takes for the creature to recover.

Edited by The Imp, 13 December 2017 - 12:36 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:52 AM

I've already gone with a morale break upping, but thanks.

#6 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:24 AM

Hmm...

I've already gone with a morale break upping, but thanks.

... was that a response I wanted. Definitely not, it's lalalalalalalaIa, can't hear you, one.  Which is actual disrespect. It's not an acknowledgement of "I got what you want to say", it's an "I don't want to listen".

#7 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:15 PM

I already said I decided to change the morale break value instead of recovery time - in the previous post. You would have spared yourself the trouble of explaining something that's no longer necessary if you just read it.

#8 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:00 PM

Ever heard of "OK, that's what it does." or "that's why it's there for"? But only-lalalalalala.

You can then address the fact that you have desided to use the other values, while you still have respectfully responded to the answer you have been given.

Edited by The Imp, 16 December 2017 - 01:12 PM.

#9 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

I can't answer to every irrelevant thing you say. Much less respectfully. What else do you have on the tip of your tongue? The color of underbellies of Medusa oblongata?

Edit: look, I'm sorry. But all too often here I don't get the answers I want, there's no back-and-forth. It doesn't help to have off-topic information piled out on me like toys out of the bag of a Santa who didn't know this kid was naughty and wanted something nice.

Edited by temnix, 16 December 2017 - 03:24 PM.