Photo

Slightly confused, need install help please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NoxRaven

NoxRaven
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:30 PM

So I know that not all the links that are in BWS are current.  Yet I have found the mods it says it cannot download or find. 

BWS states this:

"The following mod(s) could not be downloaded:

** Margarita Zelleod: The Mod itself (Margarita.rar)
** T'was a Slow Boat from Kara-Tur: The Mod itself (KaraTur.rar)
   Edwin Romance: The Mod itself (edwinromance-v207.zip)
   IWDification: The Mod itself (iwdification-Beta3.exe)
   Tales of the Deep Gardens: The Mod itself (Tales of the Deep Gardens v12.2.zip)
   Xulaye: The Mod itself (master.zip)

The following mods cannot be installed because of missing dependence:

The Picture Standard for BG2:EE:
13000: T'was A Slow Boat -> Vanilla
12000: Tales Of The Deep Gardens -> Vanilla

** Loading from the website requires manual interaction.

Some files could not be downloaded with the "BiG World Setup". Do you want
the BWS to try to load the mods again, provide the files yourself (see remarks)
or just continue?
Enter [r]etry, [p]rovide or [c]ontinue.

Now considering I went out and found/downloaded the files.  I cannot find any reference on where I need to put the files in order to use the "provide" function it is talking about.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:33 AM

So I know that not all the links that are in BWS are current.  Yet I have found the mods it says it cannot download or find. 

BWS states this:

"The following mod(s) could not be downloaded:

The following mods cannot be installed because of missing dependence:

The Picture Standard for BG2:EE:
13000: T'was A Slow Boat -> Vanilla
12000: Tales Of The Deep Gardens -> Vanilla

** Loading from the website requires manual interaction.

or just continue?

Now considering I went out and found/downloaded the files.  I cannot find any reference on where I need to put the files in order to use the "provide" function it is talking about.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I tested the last three links and they all work fine, might have been a temporary issue.

For the others - yes, this is an everlasting problems with modders if they put their mods on download sites that remove stuff that is not used for some time and similar. Nothing BWS can do about that, it is modders decision.

If you found more up-to-date links for any of those, just post them here and BWS can be updated.

or just continue?

enter p and it will open a file manager menu where you can point BWS to the downloaded file.

I suggest that you move downloaded archives/files into the same directory where you have the BWS downloads, this way BWS can find them easily next time and you need not download anything again.

Edited by Roxanne, 03 January 2018 - 04:20 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#3 enderandrew

enderandrew
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:26 PM

http://www.mediafire...5/Margarita.rar
          http://www14.zippysh...79850/file.html
          https://dl.dropboxus...omance-v207.zip
          http://gibberlings3....download&id=948
          http://www.shsforums...-gardens-v1101/
          https://github.com/R...hive/master.zip

Some just have to be downloaded manually because the script can't download from dropbox, zippyshare, etc. I think it would make sense for SHS or Gibberlings 3 to rehost some of those.

When you first fired up BWS and pointed it to your BG and BG2 game directories, you also point it to a Big World Downloads folder. By default, it is a sub-folder right under where BWS runs. Just put the manually downloaded files there.
Nihilism makes me smile.

#4 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:00 AM

Some just have to be downloaded manually because the script can't download from dropbox, zippyshare, etc. I think it would make sense for SHS or Gibberlings 3 to rehost some of those.

This has been discussed many times in the past. Fact is that it is up to the modders to chose where to put their works.

Mirroring them in SHS or G3 without modders consent is not just unfair but also not practical. There is no mechanism to capture changes and updates to such mods, and over time you can easily have different versions of a mod floating around the internet.

BWS has long advocated to use an open database called github to host mods. Mods there (many use this now) are available even when the mod forums are down. Other players and modders can provide (propose) fixes and improvements to the mods on github. This creates a branch in the same repository and if some modder is absent for long time, players (or BWS) can even use the improved branch instead of the original. And the modder can always with a few clicks update the mod if he/she agrees with a proposed fix.

BWS itself or EET and a large number of mods already work in this interactive way, and mods worked on by more than one contributor use this regularly (e.g.BWFixpack).

Edited by Roxanne, 04 January 2018 - 12:02 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*