Photo

The SaveGame() action

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:30 PM

What is the limit on the number of saved games this action understands? When I use it in my game, where I have only a few saves, any high number in the parentheses creates a file called "Chapter 5 start," even though my current characters are all earlier than that in the story. It doesn't matter what the number is - 15, 25... The save is still for the current moment of the progression, but it's called the same as that chapter's automatic save. This is what happens in BG:EE. I don't know what the result would be with SoD installed or in BG2. If I were as far along as chapter 5 in reality and had the automatic save for that chapter, would it get overwritten?

#2 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

This is all the info I have on the subject
IF ~~ THEN BEGIN dbg0100
  SAY #65235 /* *MAIN/SAVE* A previously saved game will be lost. Which slot would you like to overwrite? */
    IF ~~ THEN REPLY #65236 /* *Back* */ GOTO dbg0000
    // IF ~~ THEN REPLY #0 /* Auto save. */ DO ~SaveGame(0)~ EXIT
    IF ~~ THEN REPLY #65237 /* Quick save. */ DO ~SaveGame(1)~ EXIT
    // IF ~~ THEN REPLY #0 /* Final save. */ DO ~SaveGame(2)~ EXIT
    IF ~~ THEN REPLY #65238 /* Auto save ToB. */ DO ~SaveGame(3)~ EXIT
    IF ~~ THEN REPLY #65239 /* Quick save ToB. */ DO ~SaveGame(4)~ EXIT
END

Retired from modding.

#3 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:04 PM

Thanks. These numbers aren't right, though, not always. Or not complete. In BG:EE I'm using SaveGame(7), and it produces or overwrites the file called "Quick-Save" (no number). I don't know if it wouldn't do the same if I entered 1, but I'm satisfied with 7 for the first game. Still looking for feedback on how this behaves in SoA, and would 7 work the same in ToB? I have SoA installed, but not ToB right now.

Where is that from, anyway?

Edited by temnix, 14 January 2018 - 12:04 PM.

#4 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:52 PM

Pretty sure it's the same across all games. IIRC I didn't get a meaningful result for 5 and presumed it was the upper limit, or maybe I just didn't feel the need for more saving slots in debugging.

The quote is from SoD's debug.dlg.

Retired from modding.

#5 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:54 PM

Pretty sure it's the same across all games. IIRC I didn't get a meaningful result for 5 and presumed it was the upper limit, or maybe I just didn't feel the need for more saving slots in debugging.

The quote is from SoD's debug.dlg.

For EE games look at Savename.2da.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#6 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:15 AM

I think savename.2da was added after debug dialog.

Retired from modding.

#7 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

This is what that file contains in BG:EE. Quick Save starts with 7.

ccc.jpg

But this doesn't explain where hand-made saves would go, what numbers they would have for this table. Or don't values above 18 work? What if I make the game save under 20? Is that going to overwrite anything?

Edited by temnix, 17 January 2018 - 01:34 PM.

#8 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:15 AM

"But this doesn't explain where hand-made saves would go, what numbers they would have for this table."

That's true, this table is to give name for various hardcoded saves. It has nothing to do with hand-made saves.

"Or don't values above 18 work?" - Correct, they don't work if used as parameter SaveGame(). Actually, they might do something funny, feel free to explore the possibilities.

The numbers in the first column of the .2da are not the same numbers as the zero padded numbers in the saved game name.

You sentence 'What if I make the game save under 20? Is that going to overwrite anything?' therefore is semantically incorrect.

Avenger