Photo

Free space for the ADD_SPELL action

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

The spells I make should be given to the player of my future mod somehow. kjeron mentioned the ADD_SPELL action. I don't know the syntax for it, but he said that Weidu inserts the spells renamed along the lines of SPPR710, with the first number being the spell's level and the other two chosen among available slots, 1 to 50. I have never and don't like the idea of fitting into any slots, but if this is the easiest way... For priests, certainly, the new spells should be available automatically on level-up. And even more important, wizards should be able to choose the new spells for the 1st level at character creation. The rest of the levels they will have to find on scrolls. My concern is having enough slots left over in the levels. Given all the mods people have made, is there space to stick a bunch of additions? And what are future modders going to do, if I fill up the space with my stuff? It's a poor system.

There is an alternative - the Add Innate Ability effect. Scripts could be written to put spells in the scroll of eligible priests automatically...

#2 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:37 AM

spells.2da can raise the limit of 50.

hidespl.2da can further tweak what's available through normal means (during chargen).

The Add Innate Ability has limitations, but it is useful indeed.

Avenger

#3 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:57 AM

Tell me something about script checks. I want to allay my concerns about performance once and for all. If a script exists, constantly checked - like BALDUR.BCS or area scripts - but its triggers are returning false, does that put a load on the processor? In BALDUR by default there are only a few checks for plot points, so most of the game the engine is going again and again through these conditions - "no... no..." Is that more resource-intensive than having en empty file? I have in various global-level scripts a good number of checks, the triggers are pretty rare and specific, but I don't want to have to minimize and cram everything in nutshells to keep the scripts absolutely as vacant as possible.