Photo

Projectile animations and "explosion frequency"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:06 PM

I'm making a cone, a wind cone. I think I found an agreeable animation to compose it, but I don't know which settings to configure to make it show. It's going to be a sort of stream of air, but I need it to fly out in the cone. Trying this and that, it's easier to just ask what to set. Also does anybody know which BAM the "New Cone of Cold" uses? It's a very nice graphic, but nothing I can find among the BAMs. Before you say it's hard-coded to work in that cone, it's not. You can tweak that cone and even make it a circle, and the BAM flies out very nicely every which way, so it's possible to insert some kind of custom puff there.

What else... Yes, "Explosion frequency (frames)." This one is a bit mysterious. I thought at first it only controlled the frequency at which the visual is drawn, but it controls speed of the effect. At once-per-round, and assuming 15 frames a second, the frequency should be set at 90 - I think it's going to work. 20 reps at 90 should give me 20 rounds of duration. However, CLOUD.PRO (what's used for Stinking Cloud) and other clouds also last a set number of rounds and also work once a round, and the frequency there is 90 and 100. Since the BAMs they use also run at 15 frames a second - they can't be configured for different speed - this would cause some sliding over a few rounds. Is there a secret to this or do we just never notice the difference in all the billowing?

#2 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:25 AM

Also does anybody know which BAM the "New Cone of Cold" uses? - yep hardcoded.

It is the 0x0B01 sprite animation. Obviously, multiple instances of it. 

But the hardcoded puff animations are overridable in any EE (including and after the first release of IWDEE).

If you want custom puff animations, check IWDEE AOE projectiles. None of them are hardcoded. You can find custom puffs in the other EE games as well, but IWDEE is the easiest hunting place.

About the second question. The vanilla hardcoded puffs got some clever density and randomness setups that prevent you " notice the difference in all the billowing "

The custom puffs don't have all this randomness setting, but density is there. So with a little trial and error in the overall projectile speed and the density, you can set up believable AOE, it is not exact science, though.

Avenger

#3 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:40 AM

Thanks. I found a puff, had to edit it to give it directions... But I'm still interested in getting my hands on that Cone of Cold sprite. If you say it's overridable, then it must be a file? Is it extractable?

Wind.jpg

#4 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:29 PM

SPCColdL 

Avenger

#5 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

So it is, ha. I knew about that file, but it looks so different in the tree... It must get colored somehow for Cone of Cold.