Photo

Looking for a way to use an item outside of visual range

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:33 PM

Even if an item's ability has a very long range, a character will still walk until he rolls back the gray fog. This pretty much limits an item with a 1000 feet range to the visual limit, 20 or whatever it is. "No LOS required" in the spell that gets cast doesn't help. Is it possible to use an item (Any point within range) just from the spot?

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:03 PM

Yes, use a target=3.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:11 PM

Even if an item's ability has a very long range, a character will still walk until he rolls back the gray fog. This pretty much limits an item with a 1000 feet range to the visual limit, 20 or whatever it is. "No LOS required" in the spell that gets cast doesn't help. Is it possible to use an item (Any point within range) just from the spot?

You are wrong, at least with certain effects.

If your spell is set up properly (NO LOS flag, Any point, very large range (500 or something)) it should work just fine.

A good example are the various Dimension Door spells added by mods, they work exactly that way and allow you to teleport to any point on the map regardless of Fog of War. Now, if your spells are set up properly and still don't work, maybe there are some effects that somehow ignore the range set in  the spell, that might be one explanation.

#4 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:54 AM

Will check.

#5 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:25 AM

@Ulb that's good to know, because I'm designing an HLA that relies entirely on this possibility.

Wait - do you happen to know whether it works with "Living Actor" targeting? I'm trying to enable e.g. casting Magic Missile at someone you can see via Farsight or Wizard Eye.

#6 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:31 AM

All I can say for sure is that it works with the teleport op code, as I've used the spells and even build some myself but I don't think I ever tried it with a different target or op code.

#7 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:18 AM

Ulb, which settings you used for Teleport? I'm not having any luck with the item. Originally it simply did Use EFF File (Self) in an Any Point ability, with 100 feet range. That's about how far away I want it. The carrier walked until he could see the point, so, after these responses, I added an extra step: the item now does Cast Spell At Point (Self), and the spell is no-LOS holding the effects. It's still the same.

subtledoctor, you can cast at a Dead actor at any range, that's probably what Imp meant. The trick is to do the same with Any Point.

#8 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:51 AM

Uhm, guys.. looks like my brain just filtered the "item" part out. I thought we were talking about normal spells. :crazy:

I can make up for it a littler though. I think spells from items can't exceed normal visual range but you can circumvent that by using the spellselect op code instead of having the spell cast directly from the item.

It looks a bit "off"/modded if there is only one spell to select but you could probably hide/distract from that by offering two slightly altered versions of the spell (like a frost damage version and a fire one) or something...

Anyway, it adds an extra click to the whole action but at least it works.

#9 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:03 PM

Ulb has an excellent idea there. And it so happens that my item has two abilities, now they are activated by a caster-centered item button. It works very well!