Photo

Shadow color

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:46 AM

Creature BAMs, the ones that can be recolored, are very bright and gaudy affairs. (Unfortunately, all or almost all of these are from the original games - Beamdog has not bothered to make creatures that could have major, minor colors etc. changed. I would appreciate if someone told me which newer creatures are exceptions.) The different vivid colors of the dolls correspond to the parts of the character or creature for hair color, skin color, major/minor and so on, and they are spread to different places on the avatar. But there is one color, an overwhelming pink, that only gets used for one thing - the creature's shadow. Now, we know that shadows in the game aren't pink, but there is no such bit to recolor with effect 7. What, then, sets the shadow color and turns that pink into gray?

#2 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:31 AM

The "shadow" color is the 2nd entry in the BAM's palette.  Technically, that color should always be black rgba(0,0,0,0) / #00000000, but BAMWorkshop puts pink in that palette entry.  Erephine (the creator of 1pp) used BAMWorkshop extensively, so when 1pp got integrated into the EEs, the pink shadow color made it into the game.

The shadow color is handled one of two ways depending on what game/engine you are using:
  • If the 2nd palette entry is pure black, treat it as the shadow.  Otherwise, treat it as a normal color.
  • Always treat the 2nd palette entry as the shadow, regardless of color.
If the 2nd palette entry is treated as the shadow (regardless of which color is there), the engine renders it as black with something like 50% transparency.  You are unlikely to be able to override this behavior.

Edited by Sam., 04 April 2018 - 09:31 AM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#3 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:43 AM

All right. Thanks. At least it's possible to use the avatars as stand-alone BAMs, and then set all the colors to what we like.

Lomey.jpg