Photo

Protection from undead races vs. UNDEAD General

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:33 PM

A spell I'm modding is supposed to make the user look inoffensive to most undead, but intelligent ones, like liches, should be able to figure one out. That's what the spell description says. With the tools of this engine this mechanic should be implemented as a protection against all undead races except LICH, instead of a sweeping protection from UNDEAD General. The races are ZOMBIE, VAMPIRE and VAMPYRE (very nice), SKELETON and a few others. Plus it would be too easy to cast a cheap spell and be able to bombard Kangaxx the Lich with impunity while he stands about sucking on his bony thumb. This is worth the bother, though, only if the SoD's undead belong to some of these races; RACE should be a finished list. I know that SoD brings a few very unusual deaders, like those bloated corpses or the skeletal fiend thing. Do they still use the ZOMBIE/SKELETON races? Or something new?

#2 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:43 PM

Assuming the spell actually targets the undead, and not the caster, with its effects, just make a 324 effect filtering by Race = Lich and with resource = the spell RES, as the very first effect.

#3 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:57 PM

Well, that WOULD be the simplest and best thing to do. But it does target the caster, of course. I mean, who is to get protected? The caster or the enemies?

#4 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:12 PM

Well if it targets the caster then there's not really any way to distinguish its effects on others... because it HAS no effects on others.

#5 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:29 AM

Well if it targets the caster then there's not really any way to distinguish its effects on others... because it HAS no effects on others.

IESDP thinks otherwise in regard of #100, and I think it's right.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#6 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:02 AM

What nonsense are you talking? The protection effect is on the spell target, duh.

#7 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

IESDP thinks otherwise in regard of #100
Fair enough. (I never used opcode 100 before... is this what the idiotic Scroll of Pro. Undead uses? It occurs to me that with opcode 100 and opcode 66 you could simulate invisibility wothouf all the baggage that goes along with invisibility... but that's neither here nor there.)

Still, such "protection from ___" effects are additive. There's no way to define "all undead except liches" in this opcode in a way that doesn't create the risk of missing some.

#8 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:28 AM

If the race list is definitive and SoD doesn't add any new ones - do I have to install the thing to get an answer to that question? - then it is quite possible to fine-tune the protection list. And you, subtledoctor, shouldn't even post in this thread if you haven't even used the wonderful and versatile Protection from creature type opcode.

Edited by temnix, 06 April 2018 - 08:33 AM.

#9 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

If the RACE list is definitive then yeah, great. But what if there are creatures with GENERAL = Undead but no RACE, or something like that? Your filters by the RACE category will let false negatives slip through.

As for whether that is actually the case, your guess is as good an anyone's.

#10 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:17 PM

No race? Do you know anything at all about how this engine works?

#11 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:56 PM

What if they have a race, but just not one you expect? You're just as hosed. Also,

No race? Do you know anything at all about how this engine works?

Yes?

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 12.54.07 AM.png

:doh:

Edited by subtledoctor, 06 April 2018 - 08:56 PM.

#12 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:14 AM

NO_RACE is a race

:edited:

Edited by Creepin, 08 April 2018 - 06:25 AM.

#13 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

:eyeroll:

Man, where's the eyeroll emoji when you need it??

(EDIT - since it's not clear now, this was in response to the threats of spreading viruses)

Edited by subtledoctor, 08 April 2018 - 06:47 AM.

#14 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:28 PM

NO_RACE is a race, you dumb fuck! Get out of my thread before I send some fucking virus your way!

I wonder if people like you are really delusional enough to not understand they are just a total joke to everyone else?

Edited by Ulb, 07 April 2018 - 11:28 PM.

#15 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:12 AM

@temnix
One more post anyone (me including) find impolite will be your last post on this forum. Just letting you know.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#16 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:58 AM

Moreover, being impolite is unproductive.

Yes, a value of 255 "NO_RACE" is technically a "race" for this purpose.  Fact is, every .CRE file is going to have an integer value in that field - even if it is zero.  That has nothing to do with the question of whether using that field for the stated purpose of protecting against all undead except liches would be effective.  It might be largely reliable... but there is simply no way to make it really, certainly reliable.

To do that you would have to bring the actual liches into the process somehow, as I said.  What I might do is 1) set up the "protection from" effect as a repeating effect; and then 2) have all .CREs with race = lich radiate an aura that affects their enemies with 206 against the repeating protection.  This way your protection won't work when liches are around... you could retcon it such that liches can see and attack you, and they can communicate your position to their undead allies.  This way the protection would 100% reliably work against ALL undead, including Beamdog-added and mod-added ones with wrong/new RACE values... except when liches are around.

Edited by subtledoctor, 09 April 2018 - 06:58 AM.