Photo

Is anything on Faerun protects against poison damage?!

Green dragon breath atack

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:05 PM

Well, every day you learn something new about this game. Releasing chaotic evil " young " green dragon ( that youngster is actually level 25 dragon ) from the caverns in Myth Drannor seemed like a bad idea in that moment despite the fact that I acquired item it was requested. So I sent bard Rihn protected by invisibility spell, with periapt of proof from poison  and protection from magic scroll to pick treasure under it's nose. Dragon incinerated her the moment she entered it's eyesight with it's breath attack. Two of my fighters which were hasted, protected by poison from scrolls of poison protection and under effects of heroism potion which were sent to retrieve her equipment barely stayed alive. Dragon uses his breath attack which bypasses protection from magic and poison scrolls every few seconds for damage around 60-80 on failed saving throw and 30-50 hp for successful one. Why protection from poison doesn't work against poison breath attack ( I seem to recall that protection from poison work against effect but not damage from it ) and how you can protect yourself from it? 

Edited by Greenhorn, 16 April 2018 - 05:31 PM.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:34 PM

This is because the poison damage is a special one. No, it can not be protected from, without it being a case by case study. This is because the poison damage is meant to be damage_over_time_effect. But now, that just means either the damage is done or isn't, with other continuous effects in the old engine.
So to overcome that, people usually need to go over methods of fixing that problem which is like said, a case by case study.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:35 AM

Hmm, so the green dragons are on the top of the food chain? I'm far from expert about opcode workings so I wonder is it possible for Fixpack folks to change Protection from poison scrolls and related spells to include protection against green dragon breath attack? Maybe one tweak mode with potions, scrolls or spells for just this special case? 

#4 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:21 AM

Hmm... so I wonder is it possible for Fixpack folks to change ...? 

Well, you are not suppose to install a fixpack to the game, so... a patch mod could be made(v0.53a1), but really, what you are facing is a dragon. Should a crappy piece of metal, that protects you from a spider venom, be able to also protect you from an actual DRAGON is a different subject.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:46 AM

Hmm... so I wonder is it possible for Fixpack folks to change ...? 

Well, you are not suppose to install a fixpack to the game, so... a patch mod could be made(v0.53a1), but really, what you are facing is a dragon. Should a crappy piece of metal, that protects you from a spider venom, be able to also protect you from an actual DRAGON is a different subject.

Yes, I know about that, but this is more a general question if I run into something similar in the future. I think SoD expansion add some green dragons. I didn't intended to kill Blight at first ( name of the green one from Myth Drannor ) but after loosing Rihn I tried charge head on maximally buffed up and protected with all potions and scrolls I could put my hands on. One breath blast latter I lost priest and thief and three of my fighters remained on about 10 hp running in fear like chickens. I think that is fair that Realms get some sort of protection against that damn thing. By the way on which piece of metal are you referring, generic armours and shields or some ring/necklace ( periapt against poison, ring of Gaxx or whatever )? 

#6 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:09 AM

By the way on which piece of metal are you referring, generic armours and shields or some ring/necklace..? 
The periapt... the dragon is there as not ultimate challenge, but the dungeon masters, "I dare you to anger it" and have a nice TPK.

#7 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:33 AM

By the way on which piece of metal are you referring, generic armours and shields or some ring/necklace..? 
The periapt... the dragon is there as not ultimate challenge, but the dungeon masters, "I dare you to anger it" and have a nice TPK.

Yes, I'm good at angering wrong things,  :rolleyes: I angered that trio of Alhoons but that was pushover with scroll of Mind ripple ( group Chaotic commands ). That demon that requested their death on the other hand... One helluva fight and that thing is worth waay more than measly 5500 xp. Anyway, I'm still of the mind that something should be done about that green blast menace, as it seriously upsets " rock, paper, scissor " balance and I really think that protection from poison scroll should protect against it. Probably just bug or oversight of game developers because no green dragons existed in original Baldur's gate series I think..

#8 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 10:13 AM

Standardize Poison Immunity
Ascertains that any creature, spell or item with poison damage resistance also has immunity to any poison effects, and vice versa. 

:clap:

From klatu Tweaks and fixes.  :Bow: I'm coming for you Blight... one day. Dragons are not the only ones who hold grudges for years.  :devil: