Photo

Morale Break vs. Panic

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:47 AM

The Horror spell (overpowered in my opinion) puts two effects on the targets: Panic (24) and Morale Break (106) - setting this one to 20. The results are the same - an instant yellow circle and a running-around, except that imposed separately Morale Break gives a bottom-window message about a morale failure and the creature, if it has a verbal constant for fear, says that line. They work the same way here because the morale break stat is set impossibly high. At lower values it would just make creatures more susceptible to bolting when the engine makes its hidden morale checks. Xan, Khalid probably always have higher morale break values than average to represent their cowardice, or maybe their morale total is lower - but that's not a stat that can be changed in-game except to reset it.

This said, using both Panic and Morale Break in the same spell seems redundant. All of the protection rings I've looked at that protect from Panic also give immunity to the other effect. And Morale Break gives an informative message together with the fear sound bite, which is better for the atmosphere. I don't know if MB imposed this way always leads to running or sometimes the creature flies berserk? Maybe this possibility is the reason Panic is in there as well. But I wonder if there is some interplay between Panic and MB to latch on to and make Horror or other spells more tactically interesting and subtle. For example, we could get rid of Panic in Horror and instead of setting MB to a flat 20 make it inflate the stat by 150% for a round, in the next round by 130% and finally by 110%. For some creatures this would mean running about in fear all three rounds, braver ones could recover in shorter time.

#2 -kjeron-

-kjeron-

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:12 AM

Morale Failure can result in "Running", "Panic", or "Berserk".  It can also override opcode 24, breaking a character out of "Panic", and leave them fully controllable once the morale failure has ended even if the Opcode 24 duration hasn't ended.

Fear spells(Spook, Horror) no longer (EE) put opcode 106(Morale Failure) on the target, just 24(Panic).

Morale above/below 10 gradually shifts towards 10, based on the creature's morale recovery stat.

Opcode 24 would still be necessary for some creatures to panic with a % adjustment to morale break, either because they have '0' morale break, or a recovery of '1', such as the PC, which has both.

#3 temnix

temnix
  • 983 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:08 AM

This last "feature" should probably be patched away. I don't see why the main character should be any different in this regard, though I did notice he wasn't affected by Morale Failure. I don't know any creatures with Morale break 0, but I've seen some with 1, which probably makes them immune. Horror in BG:EE still includes 106 and 24, this is the version I was looking at. All this makes me wonder what the point of Panic is, except when one wants to be dead sure the reaction will be a running-around and not anything else. That may be good for cutscenes or special plot uses. But with actual fear like what Spook and Horror impose I think it would be more realistic and more... fruitful, as they say... to force a morale failure on creatures with a multiplier or an increment. Those that have the morale break stat at 1 or 0 aren't going to care about it rising to 200% or going up by 7 points, especially considering that they probably also have the morale total at 20, like golems. For everybody else there could be livelier combat developments.