Photo

where to start to learn to mod

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Thrawn_1986

Thrawn_1986
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:00 PM

Yes I know there is a post with a whole list of tutorials. they either link to 1. things talking about things which I do not know what mean. 2. posts that list more modding tutorials. 3. and mostly doing specific things with mods that sound really awesome ... once I get to the point where reading them would be helpful.

could someone point out a starting place? what language will I need to use what software is used to compile etc. if i missed a tutorial telling me this I'm sorry, just getting tired wasting time looking for the beginners guide.

ty.

Edited by Thrawn_1986, 02 May 2018 - 12:01 PM.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:53 PM

Well, today every BG2 mod is made with WeiDU.exe, that is the renamed setup-*modname*.exe you use to install every mod one way or another. Well unless you use automated tools ... but that uses weidu too. That file reads the setup-*modname*.tp2 file from the mod folder. The .tp2 file is just a weidu instructions file that tells what the .exe needs to do. Itself is just a text file with commands on it. And if you use Windows, you can make it with Notepad and get a kick to it.
Now all the code you'll put into it has a very large readme library  in the weidu's actual support site, via PPG, here. And it's also distributed there, in the archive. The latest version.

The readme is a ... way too large for anyone to know completely, well... at least for most mod makers, and then there's even the part where people add things into it.

That's the quick clanse of things. Now, you first have to deside of whjich game you want to make the mod for... well mostly. Then what it's about... it's generally recomended that you first try to add an item. Just one... you can pick things up from there and make more after you know you can do things.

As that helps ... and remember that you are not alone in this and yes the forum might contain things you could search, people can also guide you to find a good version of a useful examples, so don't be afraid to ask. And then the time was 1:53 AM, and I had to go to sleep... :P

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 -Thrawn-

-Thrawn-

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

Ty, in short weidu was the answer I needed. Lol.

#4 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:51 AM

As a Veteran Modder I think that the easiest way to start modding is to read up on weidu documentation, look up a mod that does something similar to what you want your mod to be doing, and just lift the code wholesale while changing parameters.

#5 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:11 AM

As a Veteran Modder I think that the easiest way to start modding is to read up on weidu documentation, look up a mod that does something similar to what you want your mod to be doing, and just lift the code wholesale while changing parameters.
This.

I started with the WeiDU help and two NPC mods that were appropriate then (now they would be outdated, codewise). The first interjection of my NPC was a reaction to the Sir Sarles Illithium (?) quest. Ah, the joy and pride to see the own content in the game!

#6 -Thrawn-

-Thrawn-

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:55 AM

Ty for your replies and sugestions. I've bookmarked pages to read and have begun as you have sugested. My problem was I had been looking at near infinity, and while it is surly a useful tool, I realized it was probaby not where I needed, to be to start off.

#7 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:08 PM

Near Infinity is cool to have a look at the game ressources - items, areas, creatures, dialogues - and also to make own items and cre etc. (which could be also be done by weidu tp2-ninjaing). For reading through game creature dialogues I prefer to decompile the dlg-files using weidu, though.

#8 Thrawn_1986

Thrawn_1986
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:11 PM

where can I find the latest version of weiDU? the link on weiDU.org didn't work. I found another for now, but it seems to be an older version than what looked to be on the WeiDU.org page. Another page I found computer said virus detected when I tried to download it so hesitant to just try randomly. Version 185 is what I found currently.

#9 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

The active weidu forum is here:
http://forums.pocket...board,44.0.html

The current version is 244. Seems that thread misses the links. You can take the links from the "version 243 released" thread and replace 243 with 244 to get the most current one.

Edited by jastey, 03 May 2018 - 08:15 PM.

#10 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:54 AM

Most up to date WeiDU binaries (and readme) can always be found there: http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/

Near Infinity is cool to have a look at the game ressources - items, areas, creatures, dialogues - and also to make own items and cre etc. (which could be also be done by weidu tp2-ninjaing). For reading through game creature dialogues I prefer to decompile the dlg-files using weidu, though.

Near Infinity allows you to decompile DLG files into WeiDU D code as well (in case you don't line working with command line tools).

#11 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:07 AM

Near Infinity allows you to decompile DLG files into WeiDU D code as well (in case you don't line working with command line tools).

Wow! I wasn't aware of that yet. Awesome!

#12 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:54 AM

Wow! I wasn't aware of that yet. Awesome!

Well duh... erhm how is this possible that you... never mind. I'll just remind that one probably shouldn't decompile files with weidu usually, as that leads to lazy coding, which leads to lazy accidents. That can be completely avoided by not using weidu to decompile files.
Example of wrong usage... as said in the very link next to it.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.