• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#321 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:33 AM

Hi Sergio:  Hi EvilMax:

Well I am totally confused.  Your posts make a lot of sense, but my brain does not function as well as it once did.  Here is where I am now.

Back in the days of BiG World Project v13 and v14, I could make a megamod game with lots of mods that played well.  Since BiG World Project v16 I have struggled with any megamod game I made.  My solution in BiG World Project v18.1 was to follow Leonardo's WeiDU.log (on page 340) using the mod versions and components he listed there.  I assume he made and played that game.  I just skipped mods that I did not have or did not want.  I do not like NPC mods so I skip them.

I have three working computers.  All have Windows 7 Professional (X64) Service Pack 1, at least 16 GB RAM, at least two 1 TB hard drives, Microsoft Security Essentials (turned off for games) and CCleaner to cleanup messes.  Usually have two games running to check what works.

My first tries were a disaster.  Leonardo includes lots of mods that other players say do not work and that I find that will not install.  Not being an expert at understanding how mods work and how to find conflicts, I rely and the help of the expert players for help.  

Yesterday, I modified my game according to Sergio's comments.  Without Sergio's suggestions, that game would complete Balder's Gate to the point Belt sends you to Athkatla.  Then it crashed after the Shadows of Amn introduction.  I removed the mods Sergio suggested from individual.bat and the game would not install.  Then I removed the mods Sergio suggested from BiG World Downloads and the game installed.  After starting the game, I could ant save it.  So I gave up.

Without any help I am lost.  What I would like is someone to post the mods that they use which work, their individual.bat that works and their WeiDU.log.  I will load that game and see if it works on my computers.  Yes, I am smart enough to realize that I have a computer problem and that needs to be tested.  In the mean time, I will try the megamod games Leonardo has in BiG World Installpack.  I will copy and post the install choices I made.

Thanks for all your help.  It is greatly appreciated.

#322 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:51 AM

Before suggesting other avenues, have you tried using Project infinity by Alien?

https://forums.beamd...-public-beta/p1

You'll have to extract the install order Leonardo made and actually apply it to PI. Then install it via PI.

But you'll probably lose a lot of time. Your choice.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#323 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:32 PM

Hi Sergio:

Thanks for the information.  I will try Project Infinity as soon as I get all the mods selected.

Project Infinity does not look too difficult.  I remember that with the older BWP you had to extract mods into Shadows of Amn.  So if it works time is not important.  Besides I am retired and have all the time I need.  My only interruptions are taking my wife to eat and shop.

One question.  I have many mods that have multiple versions.  I assume you would use the latest version unlike with BWP some mods are version dependent on other mods.

Thanks again,

Tom

#324 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:49 PM

One question.  I have many mods that have multiple versions.  I assume you would use the latest version unlike with BWP some mods are version dependent on other mods.
That's not a question. "Is your assumption correct ?" Now, that's a question, with a mark and all !

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#325 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:56 PM

Mmmmm, I didn't yet use BWP because I was tempted by the new version (BWP 19) that was supposed to be out already and would also automatically download the versions of the mods I'm looking for.

Honestly,  if I were you, I would just move the multiple versions you got to another folder and only use the ones suggested by the BWP manual.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#326 EvilMax

EvilMax
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:21 AM

Sergio, do you know anything about BWP 1.19?  Unfortunately I see no Leonardo's activity here since Nov 4.
And I know that BGT 1.19 is coming out, not BWP.

#327 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:30 AM

Unluckily, no.

I just hope he is still continuing all his work on BWP :(

#328 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:40 AM

That's the way he works: staying far away for months, then suddenly reappearing with a PM "Hi, Gwen, would you be kind to translate those few lines!". ;)

Anyway, the main thing is that he keeps improving his mod, no matter the way he does it. :shifty:

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#329 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

Hi ALL:

I am trying to play at least another megamod game.  At my age, with my memory problems, that is a challenge.  Thirty years ago I was great with computers, but today I need to write down everything or I mess it all up.  Fortunately, my wonderful wife takes good care of me and lets me but any computers, parts or games I want.  Great for my retirement. Enough of my problems.

I followed Sergio's post to Project Infinity in Beamdog.  Looks interesting.  Downloaded the files and found the downloaded version was even better.  Searched from more detailed instructions but could not find them.  I wold like the address of the file and detailed instructions if it exists.

From the files I downloaded I got one problem.  I only use Microsoft Security Essentials.  It is turned off when I download mods and install and play games.  During loading Projectinfinity.exe or Projectinfinity-master.zip I got this.  "Trojan:Win32/Bearfoos.A!ml" and it was rated severe.  It is quarantined and I can not find it anywhere on my computer so I do not know from where it came.  Is this a known Project Infinity problem or is this restricted to my computer?

I also looked at Big World Setup.  I think it also has a BGT setup.  I see the posts on SHS below BWPv18 Release and will read it soon.  Also saw it on Beamdog.  But I could not find out how to download that file.

On a side note, I am not comfortable with either Beamdog or GitHub.  I especially hate the master files because they remove all the older files which occasionally are needed.  There may be a way to get older mods by I am ignorant of the process to get them.

Another side note.  Microsoft is pushing me to Windows 10.  There are two versions, Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Home.  Both come in 32-bit and 64-bit.  One version is still free and I assume it is Windows 10 Home.  I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.  You need to give Microsoft your current license number so I am hoping that if I choose to get the free copy of Windows 10, I would get the Pro version.  My real purpose about Windows 10 is I would like to know which version of Windows is best for Project Infinity, BWP and BWS when you play a BGT game.

There is one problem in this board that drives me nuts.  Hey, I contribute so I have a right to comment.  When I make typing mistakes, and I do make many, sometimes the cursor changes to blue from black which only overwrites the current content.  How do I get it back to black so I do net have to retype large sections?  I tried everything up above.

Finally, I know this could bother some people, but writing mods and tools to make megamod games takes a lot of time and effort.  Depending on the effort, it would be fair if the authors got some sort of stipend for their efforts.  When I look at my book shelf and see all the D&D games that I paid $50 or more to buy.  Many were not the quality of some mods, I feel a bit guilty that I can get somebody's hard work for nothing.  At least I would like some way to make a donation to the authors like you can make a donation to SHS.  Perhaps a box for their name and amount.  By having SHS handle this, personal information would be protected.

Thanks to all for your help,

TOM

#330 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:07 AM

There is one problem in this board that drives me nuts.  Hey, I contribute so I have a right to comment.  When I make typing mistakes, and I do make many, sometimes the cursor changes to blue from black which only overwrites the current content.  How do I get it back to black so I do net have to retype large sections?  I tried everything up above.

This has to do with your web browser, you know the program you start to look at the website like: http://www.shsforums...eleased/page-17 ... and it's add-on's. You would have to tell us what those are for us to know how to help. For example, I use the Mozilla Firefox version 66.0.3, and it's language options contain typo marking... that's there for frills, there's no need to fix every thing you write, just keep on keeping on and qwertyuiopåasdfghjklöäzxcvbnm, and it does or doesn't react, you can just BACKSPACE and/or use the arrow keys to fix your mistakes, without needing to mess arounf the options you got in the browser, and it's extensions.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#331 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 04 May 2019 - 03:16 PM

Thanks The Imp:

I am using Google, but I do not like it.  I makes references to things that can be hard to find, at least for me.  I heard good things about Mozilla Fire Fox.  I will get it now and try it.  Another program for me to learn.

Thanks again,

Tom

#332 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 12:09 AM

Tomkaz there is another solution....

if you buy the new BG:EE (including BG2 and SOD) you could use the BWS made by Roxanne. That one is pretty easy and honestly I'm using it even now. I use it more as a playground to see what I like and what I don't like and to try it

Your words related to megamod are kind, but I can't share them... most of these seems to be about filler content and while playing I realized they drown you in content without any real respect to the player. What do I mean? 

Currently (And regretfully),I have installed the following mods:

check the bodies
Dark side of the sword coast
Northern tales of the sword coast
Shadows over soubar
The darkest day
The vault

These mods shows potential, but they are usually hindered by their execution and not only that, installing all of them gives the player huge pain. What do I mean? I entered Baldur's gate and I got like 10-15 different quests where I have to go to different places to solve them. The issue is:

1) You get all of them together (what do I do first?)
2) They all bring you to different places
3) By getting them together, there is no real way to optimize the time you spend around. For example, I'm a new player of these mods and honestly who knows if I should get 3-4-5 quests in Baldur’s gate city, before going to area X! So I can be sure that I don't have to go back in the city later... to talk with people again for the same quest or other quests that affect the area and once again get back into the area I was exploring.
The pain gets excruciating knowing that every time you travel you always get ambushed and it starts to become annoying when you travel so much.
4) There is always a bug coming for you, no matter how carefully you choose what you get. In my current playthrough, I had many, some positive, some negative, linked here:

http://baldursextend...h-some-notes/p1

And for example, right now I have to get some boots from a guy in firendly arm inn (that are property of a gnome that actually stalks you in the city of baldur’s gate telling you that you have to get the boots back) [quest is named PILAR AND GHELDEHAR] and actually there is no gnome in friendly arm inn. You see, one plays a quest and it is not even sure that you are not going to troubleshoot. I hate bugs with passion... especially because they hinder my enjoyment because I get scared I may miss something, especially triggers for quests.

As it is currently happening for Dark side of the sword coast.

Review here: https://forums.beamd...-coast-v1-01/p2

with what I’m referring in the last post.

Another issue happened with The Vault mod: there is a moment where Gullykin get sieged by ogres (A lot of them) and you are asked to kill their chief. You kill him, but no one notices what you have done and the major of gullykin (the one that gives you the quest to clean firewine ruins and that asked you for help against these ogres) can’t be talked to. I mean, you click on him after having done the quest and no response, nothing at all.

Another little thing I found... don’t remember from which mod it is, should be DSSC or NTSC. You are given by an archeologist a wardstone to enter firewine ruins. A shame the archeologist doesn’t explain you that there is another building near the one you “know” that is always there in baldur’s gate  (the one with the ogre magi you are supposed to kill for Gullykin).
As such, I went exploring there because I thought the wardstone was added for that place and that place alone, instead I discover by reading on the .net that there is another building (?) that I couldn’t see that I’m supposed to enter with that wardstone...

There is also another quest I found, from NTSC. You go in the firewine bridge and find a paladin that is actually waiting for his brother (that he killed) To kill him. He seems to be a fallen paladin and the brother was innocent.
Forgive me, but if your brother was innocent, doubt very much he would come back as a revenant to hunt and kill you. But maybe it’s just my feeling of “innocence” that is twisted and warped.

Well, I’m done.

Edited by Sergio, 05 May 2019 - 01:40 AM.

#333 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:15 AM

Hi Sergio:

I understand the frustration with mods.  I forgot if it is DSotSC or NTotSC, but the steps you take for one of them is critical.  Take one out of order and you miss some part of the mod.

I just check the old mods I saved.  I have been playing BWP since v7 and maybe earlier.  The earliest I saved was v7.  I think I got through from Baldur's Gate to Tales of the Sword Coast to Shadows of Amn to Throne of Bhaal only three times.  The rest of the times it was just frustration with faulty mods or not being able to find critical mods.  There are many walkthroughs that were more than useful. But new versions often make the early walkthroughs less than useful.

I usually get through Baldur's Gate/Tales of the Sword Coast before I crash.  I have that part loaded with all the mods thus I now the paths by heart.  Or at least I did till my memory started to fail.  The reason I play  Baldur's Gate/Tales of the Sword Coast is that I found out my characters get wiped out if I have not used  Baldur's Gate/Tales of the Sword Coast to build them up.  I assume this because some mod makers make the mods very difficult.  Other crashes are instantaneous and I am not an expert in fixing mod problems.

Leonardo's BWP is great for making megamods even those with only a few extra mods.  But since V16 I have major problems in making a workable megamod.  With versions 17 and 18, I can only get through  Baldur's Gate/Tales of the Sword Coast.  With playing a megamod only for Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal I usually crash somewhere in Irenicus' dungeon.  Once I made it to Athkatla but crashed when I tried to go to another area.  I am not blaming Leonardo.  I go to the WeiDU.log he has in the BWP book (with that many pages it is a book).  I am amazed at the number of mods he has in his games and the fact they do not crash.  I try to make sure the only mods and components I use are the mods and components in his WeiDu.log.  I will correct components that are listed in the Weidu.log but are listed in the BWP book as being in two mods and being conflicts.  So far that does not work. One thing I would like to see added to Leonardo's BWP book is the URLs for the mods he uses.  I know some are no longer available.  I do not know how legal it is to post mods that are no longer supported by the author or the URL in which they were posted no longer exists.

Leonardo work has inspired authors to also make "tools" to create megamods.  There is BWS and Project Infinity.  I think there are different versions of BWS.  When I toyed with it, I had problems with mods that contained bugs. I think there is a version that support BGT games.  I need to search out information about that.  

I have looked at Project Infinity and I think it claims that it corrects all bugs.  Sounds to go to be true. I feel its instructions are week and so far I have trouble understanding them.  I have no trouble extracting the mods even the ones that do not follow a standard method of compacting them.

I have not kept up with the EE and EET mods and the tools to play them.  I think the graphics are great, but the number of mods that have been create or updated is limiting.

As I stated in an earlier post I am not very familiar with Beamdog and GitHub. I also have not kept up with these programs(?).

Now for Check the Bodies, Dark Side of the Sword Coast, Northern Tales of the Sword Coast, Shadows Over Soubar, The Darkest Day and The Vault.  I think the best way to tackle Dark Side of the Sword Coast and Northern Tales of the Sword Coast is to read the walkthroughs.  I have not seen any later versions of walkthroughs but the older versions will still give you the order of some of  the steps to take.  Usually enough to get you through the mod. I remember there were some that I did not understand why the order was so critical, but it was needed.  The other place to get information is the Readme files.  But I found some totally a waste of space.  What I appreciate in a Readme file is mod title, file name to extract, version number, install tool that the mod is compatible with and a good Readme.  Mods that have this are a pleasure to play.

Now I will search out Project Infinity.  Maybe Leonardo will make a BWP v19, than I will switch back to BWP.

TOM

#334 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:58 AM

@tomkaz  @Sergio -- your points & criticisms are valid about the quality of mods and how they integrate with BWP – it can be hit-or-miss.

In fact, y’all have been around on the forums long enough to know that such discussions always come up, since before there ever was a ‘BiG World Project’.

I want you & other readers to consider a suggestion, something mostly separate to what this thread should have focused on…

First, a bit o’ history… The BiGgest thing lots of people forget about BiG World Project is that its goal is NOT to recommend you play ALL the mods in its list!

Instead, Leonardo and company of friends want to show ‘what is the largest, stablest MegaInstall possible’. Ultimately (i.e., in theory), if the mods run correctly in BWP, they should run as well or even better individually, or in a MegaInstall similar to BWP.

The final task is on the players: they would then pick&choose which mods they want to play.

And Let’s be clear—NO install method has ever promised to make a troublefree MegaInstall.

• BWP never did.
  • BWS never could (if it ever did state it could).
  • Nor could the half-dozen other methods created before BWP (and I got links to prove this).
  • BWPv19 will not – and I assure you Leonardo will back up my words.
  • I doubt Project Infinity makes this promise. If it does and you believe it, then I want to sell you a bridge in Alaska, it’s be all yours!, for cheap!!

If players are trying to install all the mods in BWP, finally get it running, and then find they’re unhappy with the content of some mods – did the player even know all what they were installing? Probably not.

So, here’s the suggestion: why don’t both of you (and other readers on this discussion) open your own discussion topic – e.g. “tomkaz’s request for recommended mods in BWP” or “Sergio’s ‘What’re your recommended mods in a MegaInstall’” – or what ever title floats your boat.

In the threads, members can give you feedback on the content of mods, based purely on their own opinions & experiences, regardless of whether or not the mods install properly in BWP or BWS or RoxWP or whatever. I’ll join in your discussions, as I have quite a few suggestions.

I’ll be looking forward to your (separate) topics.

"I gladly simp for jastey" -- Aza
==========================================================
"You ever notice that "What the hell?!" is the answer to just about everything?"
==========================================================

"Girls are like phones, they like to be held and talked too, but if you press the wrong button, you will be disconnected!" DJ Nikodemus
================================================================
Community Contributions
* Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * Shar Nadal (DSotSC-BGT) revision * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls * a directory of Mega-Installation Guides *

#335 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:06 PM

Azazello you are totally right...

honestly I started talking about mods incidentally, because I was suggesting not to use them for technical issues AND story\bugs question.

By the way, I think I may publish a topic. You are totally right. :)

But before that... one last reply.

@Tomkaz

Leonardo work has inspired authors to also make "tools" to create megamods.  There is BWS and Project Infinity.  I think there are different versions of BWS.  When I toyed with it, I had problems with mods that contained bugs. I think there is a version that support BGT games.  I need to search out information about that.  

BWS is dead mate. Your only alternative is
BWS-EE (only for EE and mantained by Roxanne)
Project infinity (That you can use both for EE and for BGT)

I have looked at Project Infinity and I think it claims that it corrects all bugs.

I'm pretty sure you misread what Alien meant, or at least that's what I think he meant to say: that PI solves the bugs and issues one could have met with BWS, not the bugs mods have.
The bugs of the tool, not the bugs of the mods.

I have not kept up with the EE and EET mods and the tools to play them.  I think the graphics are great, but the number of mods that have been create or updated is limiting.

Not true, at least not anymore. For now there is no reason to switch, especially considering Nej and Vlad's compilation (that I still didn't try but was heavily recommended to). 

But it doesn't mean there won't be, ever...

For EE --> https://forums.beamd...-in-progress/p1 [vaporware.. but what if it turns out real?]
Also there is golem construction mod, provided that you don't roleplay.

An example of what I mean with roleplay

Spoiler

~

Edited by Sergio, 06 May 2019 - 01:15 AM.

#336 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:45 AM

Hi Azazello:  You are correct.  My apologies for taking valuable space.  I will start another thread to get the answers I seek.

Tom

#337 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:09 AM

Thanks, guys.

It is true, this discussion went off in all directions, but as Leonardo did not complain, the staff did not engage any moderation action. That said, if you want to move old posts in a new thread, do not hesitate to send me the list, I will integrate them to the new topic you open. ;)

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#338 tomkaz

tomkaz
  • 992 posts

Donator

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:23 PM

Hello Leonardo:

I was working on making a megamod yesterday with the WeiDU.log that is in Big World Project v18.1.  I noticed many mods have different version numbers in the WeiDU.log than they have in the mod instructions section.  Here is a list:

Mod ID                                               Version in WeiDU.log                                       Version in Mod section

NTotSC                                               v2.2.2                                                                v2.3.0
BGQE                                                 v9 (typo ?)                                                         v18
Sirines Call                                         v15                                                                     v14
BG1UB                                               v15.1                                                                  v14.0 Beta
EMAD                                                 v6                                                                       v8
TotDS                                                  v12.2                                                                  v12.4
Eilistraee                                             v6.5                                                                    v6.6
Vampire Tales                                     v1.03                                                                  v1.04
Shards of Ice                                      v5                                                                        v6
Lucy                                                    v4                                                                        v4a
Arestorationp                                      v8.2.8                                                                 v8.2.9
Wheels                                                v6                                                                        v7
Celestials                                            v6                                                                        v7
NPC_Tweak                                       v5                                                                         v7
SPSTUFF                                           v10                                                                       v11
1PP                                                     v4.1.0                                                                   v4
Song and Silence                                v8                                                                         v9
Cursed Items                                       v3.7                                                                      v3.5
IWDIFICATION                                   vBeta4                                                                  vBeta5
G3Anniversary                                    v9                                                                          v10
CDTWEAKS                                        v4                                                                          v6
Refinements                                        vbeta4.15                                                              v4.22
Stratagems                                          v30                                                                        v31
Djinncompanion                                  v2.4                                                                        v2.6
Level1PCS                                          v1.9                                                                        v2
BG1NPCBEG                                      v2.1                                                                        ?

I know you are very busy, but if you have some time, please identify the correct versions for BiG World Project v18.1.  I assume some could just be typos.

I read v19 may soon be released.  I know that this is a lot to ask, but it be a great help if the URLs with the address of the mods you use were listed in the BiG World Project pdf file.I hope this has not been previously posted.  My apologies if it has.

Tom

Sorry I could not put the data in a spoiler.  I have problems saving that to the post.

Edited by tomkaz, 08 May 2019 - 02:20 PM.

#339 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:12 AM

Has anyone had any luck using NeJ and Vlad's compilation with a lot of other mods? 

Edited by Sergio, 23 May 2019 - 02:12 AM.

#340 EvilMax

EvilMax
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:00 AM

I did, but actually it wasn't VC yet. I had some minor troubles with managing team, then had my PC istakilled in Bridge tavern when decided not to continue without NEJ and Hrotgar. Ahh, and Halruaa was a total mess: I was unable to pass spellcating quests (because of spell changing mods, I beleive), agred all mages and retreat. So it was OK only in IWD locations. Then it has become somewhat messy :)

I don't know how is it now, in 18.1.2, but I think that it is good idea not to install along with NEJ mods about which setup is warning you.

No information about Keldorn's Romance. Never played romantic mods and last times sticked to the solo or semi-solo (with Imoen).