Aran Linvail dialogue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Truman

Truman
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:21 PM

Hello, again

I seem to have more than my fair share of problems these days and here i go again.

After returning from the Asylum and the Underdark, i attempted to enter the thieves guild at the level where Aran is at. The area loaded alright, but, after about 2 or 3 seconds the screen froze up and that was as far as i got. I've had this before several years ago, but, i honestly can't remember what, if anything i did.

I tried to CLUAconsole Aran onto the docks area and i got the original first talk with Aran. He asks me to go to Mook and check the shipment, after the talk ended, about 2 or 3 seconds later, the game foze up.

I assume that the area is alright, it's Aran's dialogue that is messed up. I ran his dialogue through a change-log and came up with this;

Attached File  change-log.txt   1.42K   8 downloads

There isn't enough there for me to understand. I really don't know how to make use of it.

My second idea, was to open NI and look at Aran's dialogue file and see what the triggers are. I got this;

Attached File  Aran1.txt   136bytes   9 downloads

I checked with Shadowkeeper and the chapter is 6 and ShadowFightBohdi is 0. I don't know what to do with the first line or the fourth. I also looked at AranJob to see what it said. It said 1, which is the job with Mook. I changed it to 2, with Jaylos & Caehan and restarted the game. It didn't do any good, i still had the same dialogue in the docks. so i tried 3, the graveyard. Nope, same thing.

I believe that the triggers for Aran's dialogue are the problem, but, i could be wrong. I can't find any other triggers to view or verify. There is something missing in all this. But i can't see it.

I have also included my weidu log. Oh, this is the standard BGII with TOB.

Attached File  WeiDU.log   54.14K   10 downloads

#2 jastey

jastey
  • Staff
  • 1631 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:18 PM

General: I don't think it's a good idea to install any mod before the Fixpack (in this case Ascension). Did you do this by hand or is this the recommended install order?

Freezing area: If the area freezes up after some seconds, it might be a missing ambient sound or maybe animation. What does a changelog on AR0307.are (Aran Linvail's Hideout) give you? Also, the content of AR0307.bcs would be interesting.

To cheating Aran to another area: His first dialogue is triggered with a local variable "NumTimesTalkedTo(0)", which will always be true for a newly spawned cre. The only thing you could try it to put the cursor over the newly spawned Aran and type in the cheat:

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("NumTimesTalkedTo","LOCALS",1)

before talking to him. But I would suggest you use a save before you tried to change the quest variables.

#3 Truman

Truman
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:27 AM

The answer to your first question is i use the BW English v18 install order. There may be 1 or 2 deviations, but, over 90% is the recommended order. I don't believe it to be the area because i can walk around in AR0307 without a problem before i went to Spellhold, it is only after returning from Spellhold that there is a problem.  I can walk around AR0300 without it freezing up, but it changes only after i CLUAconsole in Aran. And it freezes only after i get the first dialogue.

I am currently at work, but, when i get home i will try changing the NumTimesTalkedTo. I could not find a GLOBAL for times talked to other then the first one and i went through every line of his dialogue in NI looking for and at every trigger listed. We'll give it a shot.

#4 jastey

jastey
  • Staff
  • 1631 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:24 AM

General: I don't think it's a good idea to install any mod before the Fixpack (in this case Ascension). Did you do this by hand or is this the recommended install order?

Except ToBEx, it must be installed as first one.

Yes, sorry, I was silently excluding TobEX when I said "any mod".

Truman: if your game also crashes /freezes when you clua in Aran Linvail, please describe the time when it happens as detailed as possible. Can you talk to Aran? What is the last thing he says? Does it freeze with the dialogue box still open or after the dialogue is finished?

#5 Truman

Truman
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:29 AM

To reiterate, I use the BWP English v18.1 guide lines to install the mods that I use. Ascension is listed on page 22 of that pdf and it is the mod listed after TobEX.

As for Aran. After I CLUA him in, I can do pretty much what ever I want as long as it is away from Aran. When I get close, he starts talking. It is the first line when meeting him. The last thing he says is, (State4/152, in NI) 'Good hunting. Report to me if anything happens. Oh, and the bonus we talked of... Take these items. You will find them useful, I am sure'. It is about 2 perhaps 3 seconds after he finishes talking that the cursor becomes the Microsoft arrow and everything stops. The game doesn't do a regular crash, it just stops. No the dialogue box disappears, like it should.

I followed your advice and use the CLUAconsole to change the LOCALS to 1. Interesting. The dialogue was still the first lines when you first meet, but, the game didn't stop. I could move around and talk to a local if I wanted. When I would talk with with Aran again, the dialogue progresses through all of the AranJob's. Including being transported to the bridge district and talk with Saeman and then to Brynnlaw. Thats better, but, I've already done that.

#6 jastey

jastey
  • Staff
  • 1631 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:07 AM

To reiterate, I use the BWP English v18.1 guide lines to install the mods that I use. Ascension is listed on page 22 of that pdf and it is the mod listed after TobEX.

Very good, I just wanted to make sure.

OK; I still have no clue why the game freezes but it seems you can get around it if you can trigger the right Aran dialogue. OK. In addition to the one above, try also setting Global("AranJob","GLOBAL",3) and Global("spokeTrip","LOCALS",1). Note: the latter is a local variable, again, so it's the same as for the NumTimesTalkedTo: the cursor has to be over Aran when you press "enter" to confirm the cheat.

Edited by jastey, 09 February 2019 - 07:08 AM.

#7 Truman

Truman
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:34 AM

Read your message, tried it, came up empty.  I tried changing every trigger listed and then tried using them in different orders. I believe that I have exhausted every permutation I could come up with and nothing worked.

Reread your original post and did a change-log on AR0307.are, AR0307.bif and also on the AR0307.bcs, the results were not particularly constructive. In fact, I didn't see much of anything. Basically I have run out of ideas.

This is what I do know. The game doesn't crash, which is unfortunate because I don't get an entry in the error-log. That makes it incredibly frustrating. Since it doesn't crash, I assume that what ever it is, is not immediately apparent, but is in the background somehow.

I'm done. I thank you for your efforts.

Edited by Truman, 10 February 2019 - 06:38 AM.