Photo

Aran Linvail dialogue

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Truman

Truman
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 02:02 PM

That's a valid point. If you reread the original post, i CLUAed Aran into the dock area, ar0300, and attempted to run the dialogue with Aran. The game froze up and after 2 or 3 seconds disappeared, just like it did when i entered ar0307. At that point in time i assumed that the dialogue file was the culprit, now i'm not sure. I'm sure that you are right about the name of the thread, but, i really don't know how to change it, unless i simply start all over again.

For Shuv-Oohl; "But again my question: You do reset the game after a fruitless intent of finding the culprit to it's prior state, don't you?"

The answer to your question is not all the time. If i find something that is wrong, but easily correctible, i correct it and then make sure i don't see it again. I keep track of creatures that i have altered so that the game does not crash. My list shrinks and expands frequently.

I did CLUAConsole in all of the creatures that are listed for the area without any problem. I can only assume that they are not responsible for the freeze. One small piece of information that i forgot to add, i have tried to enter with all of my equipment and also without any equipment, just in case i was carrying and item that i shouldn't. Same result.

There is also, my small workaround, that doesn't always work; timing is crucial, i used CTRL +J to move next to Aran the first time i enter ar0307 after the Underdark and it worked, but, again it only works immediately after the Underdark. After you kill Bodhi, the amount of seconds before the game disappears is less.

There is probably more, but i have forgotten them. I suspect that i will have to reinstall and omit 1 or 2 mod components and then do as little as possible in ar0307. That may make a difference after the Underdark, or maybe not. In which case a year from now i'll be as confused as ever.

But i haven't given in yet, close, but not yet!

#22 Shuv-Oohl

Shuv-Oohl
  • Modder
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 07:16 PM

That's the right spirit!

Please edit the d0aran.bcs (via NI for example) in adding the comment symbol
(two slashes) at the beginning of line 7:

CreateCreatureObjectOffset("d0magcle",Myself,[100.-100])

Click on compile and then save the script (to the override). Then enter the area and tell us what happens.

Edited by Shuv-Oohl, 24 February 2022 - 07:17 PM.

#23 Truman

Truman
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 February 2022 - 12:38 AM

That's the right spirit!

Please edit the d0aran.bcs (via NI for example) in adding the comment symbol
(two slashes) at the beginning of line 7:

CreateCreatureObjectOffset("d0magcle",Myself,[100.-100])

Click on compile and then save the script (to the override). Then enter the area and tell us what happens.

Same thing. It lasted about 3 seconds before disappearing.

#24 Shuv-Oohl

Shuv-Oohl
  • Modder
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 February 2022 - 04:42 PM

And the game does not crash on spawning d0magcle via CreateCreature in another area?

If that's really not the case then You should run a change-log on the area0307.bcs
and do the procedure I proposed for Aran's dlg-file, i.e. copying successively each prior version of the bcs-file to the override folder and probe each version with regard to a freeze or crash.

It's perhaps better to start with the copy before applying the first mod and then going forward than starting with the last and going backwards. The first one should not result in a crash.

If it (to my surprise) still does then do the same with Aran's bcs files.

Have You ever spawned Aran outside the area? Have You stripped him from his scripts and spawned him? And then again adding one by one the scripts?

Edited by Shuv-Oohl, 26 February 2022 - 05:59 PM.

#25 Truman

Truman
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 February 2022 - 01:01 AM

And the game does not crash on spawning d0magcle via CreateCreature in another area?

No.

Have You ever spawned Aran outside the area?

Yes. Again, after going through the dialogue file from the beginning and continuing up to chapter 6 it had the same result, freeze and disappear. Again, the problem only exists in chapter 6.

With regard to the change-log of the BCS, it froze up on the very first one, although in this case it was The Undying. The backup from the Darron mod, did not have the BCS file in it.

Currently the change-log of aran.dlg will have to wait.

Attached File  change-log1.txt   530bytes   65 downloads

#26 Shuv-Oohl

Shuv-Oohl
  • Modder
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 09:41 AM

I suppose you're in chapter 6 now. We have to know if it's the area (script), the dialogue or his scripts.

So do the same you did 2 years ago: spawn Aran in ar3000, save the game in a separate slot and assure that with that cre

the game freezes after the dialogue. Just as you wrote at the start.

Close the game completely.

Now strip Aran from all his scripts, setting them to NONE in that savegame file: In NI under "Save" choose the saved game and

in BALDUR.SAV click decompress. Then View/Edit AR3000.are and edit Aran' s cre (should be present in Actors) by updating every single of his scripts to NONE. Save everything, compress the Baldur.SAV and exit NI if you like.

Now perhaps Aran ist not starting the talk with you but after you start: is there still a crash?

If yes then we know that it's the dlg file (well , or baldur.bcs). If not then give him back his scripts one by one.

#27 Truman

Truman
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 09:04 PM

I think it's time for a little review. During the game, chapter 1-5,  i can come and go into ar0307 at will. Which entrance i choose doesn't make any difference. Coming back from the Underdark, is another matter. If i try to enter ar0307, the game freezes and then after a number of seconds disappears.

Now, there is a little bit of variation to this. If i go through ar0305, i have about 3 seconds before the game freezes. If i enter from ar0300, the first time, i have about 7 seconds. That is either the entrance under the thief building, or, the one that is the hole in the wall at the end of the walkway. My first assumption was that ar0307 was corrupted somehow. Didn't know? so i tried something else.

I CLUAed Aran.cre into ar0300. When he first sees me he launched into the very first dialogue between us. I've already heard it, so i used the CLUAConsole to go through the dialogue up to the point of chapter 6. I SetGlobal('Chapter", "GLOBAL", 6) (at the time i wrote it correctly, don't quote me on it now). The game froze instantly and there is no dialogue. 1... 2... 3... and down it goes. My new assumption was, that the dialogue file was somehow at fault. However that is possible. That is when i decided to post at SHS. Choosing the  label for the post was a spur of the moment idea. It was based on the assumption that the dialogue is the problem. I no longer believe that to be the case.

Do i reset the game back to where i made changes, sometimes i do, and then again sometimes no. I see no point to CLUA in all of the creatures in ar0307, because, they are already present in chapters 1-5. If they change in chapter 6, can you show me where i can find that information? I'm no expert but i can find nothing that would change them in chapter 6.

"Close the game completely.

Now strip Aran from all his scripts, setting them to NONE in that savegame file: In NI under "Save" choose the saved game and

in BALDUR.SAV click decompress. Then View/Edit AR3000.are and edit Aran' s cre (should be present in Actors) by updating every single of his scripts to NONE. Save everything, compress the Baldur.SAV and exit NI if you like.

Now perhaps Aran ist not starting the talk with you but after you start: is there still a crash?"

Now that is interesting. I have to sit down for awhile in order to do that. Give me a little time and i'll see what happens.

Edited by Truman, 01 March 2022 - 09:10 PM.

#28 Shuv-Oohl

Shuv-Oohl
  • Modder
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 08:00 AM

But please as I wrote: 1. Go to AR3000 (for example, but not 0307 !), spawn Aran, save game and assure that this save game is buggy (crashes). Then close the game and work as explained please on the cre Aran in that save game.

#29 Truman

Truman
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 09:47 PM

My apologies for the lengthy silence. My computer has experienced the proverbial "crash & burn", or, what is more commonly called the BSOD. The DELL software gave me 2 choices, reimage windows 10 now or later, there was no option 3, some choice. It has taken me some time to rebuild my bookmarks and passwords, fortunately the D: drive was unaffected by the reimaging, but it has taken some time to get the windows 10 sys to recognize that the D: drive actually exists. The D: drive is where i keep the BG's and Icewind Dale game folders, however i can't get the windows software to cooperate, i am still workimg on it, but defeating MicroSoft may well be out of my hands. As it stands right now, i may have to reinstall everything. What a pain, on the other hand, my computer may no longer experience the periodic crash because of 'something, something, something'.

I certainly thank you for all of the time and effort you and Jastey has put into this. Again, thank you.