Photo

Game freezes when trying to rest

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 nyrangerslmb

nyrangerslmb
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:19 PM

Kind of a newb at all this, I've been playing Baldur's  with BGT 1.19 installed and finally got to TOB. When I try to rest either in my pocket plane or the tavern in Saradush the game freezes. Any assistance to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

#2 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:53 PM

Is one of your party companions dead?

#3 nyrangerslmb

nyrangerslmb
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:03 PM

No party members dead, went back to a save before the 5 trials leading to Irenicus battle and was able to rest. Got to opening screen before battle with Illasera and was able to rest. Went to Saradush and tried to rest at tavern and game froze.

#4 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:56 PM

Weidu.log's content please... aka open the file with Notepad and copy paste it to a post.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 nyrangerslmb

nyrangerslmb
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:00 AM

Only log I found was in BG2 folder:

Attached Files

#6 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:59 AM

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~BGT/BGT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Core: 1.19 (5 Feb 19)
~WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Widescreen Mod -> for the original Infinity Engine (CHOOSE THIS!): Widescreen Mod v3.07
~ARCANEARCHER/SETUP-ARCANEARCHER.TP2~ #0 #0 // Arcane Archer

Well, you don't have the G3-BG2Fixpack installed. You should.

And they should be installed this way: BG2Fixpack - BGT - Arcane Archer - Widescreen. Not that the two last make a difference, but it's easier to ...reinstall the widescreen mod this way.

Edited by The Imp, 23 March 2019 - 04:01 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#7 nyrangerslmb

nyrangerslmb
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:56 AM

:wall: So I have to remove and reinstall everything? Can I copy a save near the end battle of SOA or beginning of TOB where I was able to rest, or am I going back to Candlekeep?

#8 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:14 AM

Yeah, I know the pain of having to do this.

Well, if you want to, you can use a save from the SoA end to import the character, but this will wreck the romances etc, and use the ToB -save to find which GLOBALs and npc- LOCALs to restore using the ShadowKeeper, but that's complicated too. Well, the complication is to know what to restore.

And it has no quarantee that it will fix the issue.

Edited by The Imp, 23 March 2019 - 05:15 AM.

#9 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:20 AM

I'd start with deinstalling the last mod and checking, whether it still crashes etc. The last thing you'd want is make a new modded game and then discover it is still crashing.

#10 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:38 AM

Well, considering that the character is likely an Arcane Archer -kitted character ... hint hint hint ... it's likely going to get somewhat bad at mid install ... until you restore the kit back, so it might not work out well either way.

#11 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:00 AM

Hm, true enough.

#12 nyrangerslmb

nyrangerslmb
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:55 AM

What I may try is uninstalling Widescreen, Arcane and BGT back to original. Then install Fixback, BGT, Arcane and WIdescreen. If it works, I save a little headache, if not well had to do it anyway. I'll let you know how things workout.

#13 nyrangerslmb

nyrangerslmb
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 05:28 PM

Did not work, back to square one.

#14 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:25 PM

That's unfortunate. Do you know how to use Near Inifnity? It would be interesting to see how the area script looks like, i.e. whether anything is supposed to happen upon rest. (You need java for NI). The area code for the Saradush tavern is AR5003, so you'd open BCS -> AR5003.bcs and post the content here. Pocketplane is AR4500.bcs.

But if it happens in both places, maybe a dream is supposed to start and somehow it leads to crash? What does the script PLAYER1D.bcs look like?

Just for the fun of it, try setting Global("HadEllesimeDream1","GLOBAL",1) to 1 before resting to see whether it suppresses the crash (this will skip the "Ellesime dream").

Cheat in ToB is:

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("HadEllesimeDream1","GLOBAL",1)

#15 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:38 AM

nyrangerslmb, maybe healing the party fully before resting will help you, too. Look here: http://www.shsforums...-ctd-upon-rest/

#16 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:32 PM

nyrangerslmb, maybe healing the party fully before resting will help you, too. Look here: http://www.shsforums...-ctd-upon-rest/

Aka, the crash might be caused by a specific healing spell effect...

#17 nyrangerslmb

nyrangerslmb
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 05:36 PM

Never used NI, but I downloaded it to give it a try. What folder would the ARxxxx.bcs files be located?

#18 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:12 PM

The "BCS" -folder, so the 4th one from the top. :P ... if you have the override folder('s content) associated with the other files(Options->Show Override Files->blah blah blah).

#19 nyrangerslmb

nyrangerslmb
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:01 AM

So I only have an AR4500.bcs no AR5003.bcs. I tried to open the AR4500.bcs with NI and got a "No infinity game engine found" error.

#20 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:42 AM

To open a game with NI, you need to chose the "CHITIN.KEY" that is inside the game folder. Did you run NI by clicking the "NearInfinity.jar"?

In NI, open the "Options" drop down header. Select "Show Override Files" and chose "In ??? Folders (CRE, SPL,...)".

Then all files should be shown in the appropriate categories, and the AR5003.bcs should be in "bcs".

Edited by jastey, 25 March 2019 - 04:44 AM.