Photo

BGT crashing on specific actions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Quinch

Quinch
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:37 PM

Hiya! Fresh to the forums and with a question!

I installed BGT - W10, GOG version of both BG1ToTSC and BG2ToB and I'm hitting crashes. Specific ones - namely, whenever I try to import a character, make a note on the map or make a manual journal entry, the game kicks me out with Abnormal Program Termination. I currently don't have any mods installed and I ran file verification through the GOG client to make sure all the files are in order. Is this a known issue, am I doing something wrong, or should I look behind door number three?

#2 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:55 PM

Hi and welcome to the forums! What is BGT - W10?

Also, I'd recommend installing the BG2 Fixpack to the BGII game before BGT-ing it.

#3 Quinch

Quinch
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:00 PM

Hi and welcome to the forums! What is BGT - W10?

Also, I'd recommend installing the BG2 Fixpack to the BGII game before BGT-ing it.

Ah, sorry - I meant that I'm running Windows 10, in case there's OS version issues. I'll try installing the fixpack first and then BGT, see if that helps.

Edit: No, doesn't look like it, I'm afraid.

2019-04-12%20%281%29.png?psid=1

Edited by Quinch, 12 April 2019 - 02:19 PM.

#4 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:09 AM

I can't see your attached picture, it's just a cryptic text.

I'm sorry, the only thing I can think of is to install the game somewhere Windows doesn't feel it has to protect it - or at least, copy the whole game folder somewhere else than the C:Program one. (You need to adjust the paths to the game "CDs" in the baldur.ini, then).

And mod this version of the game. In case you haven't done that already.

#5 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 02:00 AM

Yeah, in Windows 10, if you intend to use the C drive, aka the Operation System install drive, you HAVE to install old games like this in the C:\Users\<windows user name>\Games -or similar subfolders. This is simply because your user doesn't have the re-write permissions to files in any other folder. This is to "protect" original content... but also to fuck around you.

Some newer games have moding tools that allow them to be installed anywhere you want ... but those are Windows 10 compatibleTM games... aka games that came definitely after 2015.

And no, you don't need to use the Windows compatibility mode to run these games. Just like the Game ModeTM. That's just for suckers.

Edited by The Imp, 13 April 2019 - 02:07 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.