Wild mage additions

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:55 AM

Hello,
there is a component "Rhialto The Marvelous" from the mod "Wild mage additions" that actually adds a mage hunting for your head.

The problem is that the (wild) mage hunting you is level 30 and actually spawns even in Baldur's gate 1.

It seems the forth spell he is supposed to cast should turn him into a squirrel to make the player able to beat him even at low levels, but in my game it didn't happen. So, I got some questions:

1) Does anyone know how could I detect which mod is actually touching Rhialto? 
2) Is anyone still mantaining the mod? 

By the way, I killed Rhialto with the help of Korax. That's what I suggest you do to in first game. 

Edited by Sergio, 20 April 2019 - 04:00 AM.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:24 AM

Just like every other thing in IE moding, and from the topic you cut this out from. You take the .cre file Rhi... uses, and --change-log it, it's scripts, jadajadajada.

Yes, the Guest that made that topic was aware of the Mega Mod forums FAQ post. You might want to read it too. It's not like I pour out my 5 years of BG2 megamoding experience into it... erhm, yeah, that is exactly what I did.

Edited by The Imp, 20 April 2019 - 05:37 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:19 AM

Checked. No mod is actually touching wild mage additions.

Spoiler

Edited by Sergio, 21 April 2019 - 02:14 AM.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#4 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:13 AM

And what about the script files ? You need to open the .cre with Near Infinity and find out which those files are .. and then --change-log them.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:34 PM

Hello,
there is a component "Rhialto The Marvelous" from the mod "Wild mage additions" that actually adds a mage hunting for your head.

The problem is that the (wild) mage hunting you is level 30 and actually spawns even in Baldur's gate 1.

It seems the forth spell he is supposed to cast should turn him into a squirrel to make the player able to beat him even at low levels, but in my game it didn't happen. So, I got some questions:

2) Is anyone still mantaining the mod?

There's a specific spell that turns him into a squirrel? If so, that's disappointing! because I remember the ReadMe stating (implying?) that eventually a regular wild magic surge would/could occur turning him, and then the player can take the fight to him.

Yes, it's being maintained & has been EE-ified here: https://github.com/B...et/bg2-wildmage

yup, based on Magus's changelog, the squirrel-transformation bug is fixed.

Edited by Azazello, 21 April 2019 - 09:01 PM.

"I gladly simp for jastey" -- Aza
==========================================================
"You ever notice that "What the hell?!" is the answer to just about everything?"
==========================================================

"Girls are like phones, they like to be held and talked too, but if you press the wrong button, you will be disconnected!" DJ Nikodemus
================================================================
Community Contributions
* Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * Shar Nadal (DSotSC-BGT) revision * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls * a directory of Mega-Installation Guides *

#6 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:03 AM

It's not the spell per se, from what I know, simply the wild surge from the forth spell should make him a squirrel no matter what. ;)

Anyway it didn't happen in my game.

#7 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:44 PM

And what about the script files ? You need to open the .cre with Near Infinity and find out which those files are .. and then --change-log them.

I'll do it later, maybe.

Edited by Sergio, 26 April 2019 - 11:17 PM.

#8 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:04 AM

And then you'll get the answer "later, maybe". What bugs me the most is that there's not a single instance of this actually happened. Aka the bug that's known to be there has never been --change-log'ed.

So this "later, maybe"... is more like FU. Why you may ask... well, then I could give you the exact file names and possible related mods involved in the ruination of those files.

Edited by The Imp, 27 April 2019 - 04:08 AM.

#9 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 07:31 AM

ummm, are we still discussing the bug? Doesn't Magus' version fix that?

Sergio, can you check? (I can't--I don't have an install in place.)

#10 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 01:04 PM

ummm, are we still discussing the bug? Doesn't Magus' version fix that?

A fix that involves reassigning non-vanilla scripts to the characters slots doesn't remove the potential of future mods entangling things up and repeating the mess, again in another instance that no one has any clues to yet again, cause the last guy was a lazy ass.

#11 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 07:18 PM

A fix that involves reassigning non-vanilla scripts to the characters slots doesn't remove the potential of future mods entangling things up and repeating the mess, again in another instance that no one has any clues to yet again, cause the last guy was a lazy ass.

Jarno, you're being more obtuse than even your normal self. Tell us, what/who the "last guy was a lazy ass"?

I looked at the git commit and this is the fix that Magus put in:

https://github.com/B...447b0e936b5738f

I don't even know what's being checked & added, but it doesn't seem to be non-vanilla scripts. Maybe I'm wrong. Do you feel is insufficient or incorrect?

Come on- you're a modder now, we give you props when you review code and find fault or praise with it.

(You're use of English is another story!)

joke, my friend, just joking!

#12 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 03:14 AM

That removes the actual wild Surge(aka random effect) and failure chances from the spell that makes Rhialto a squirrel. It does nothing to the scripts. There are many ways to fix things that might not all be obvious to everyone... one could be to ensure that Rhialto would eventually cast the spell even if the first last and every other time it fails, he would still try to... but that was not the way this one went. Ironic that it would have this then. But that's likely due to the higher level Rhialto. Not that it actually works... as only one pass is really enough.

#13 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 09:40 PM

Azazello, I'm using the version you linked of the mod and yes, I've got that bug.

This is from weidu: ~WILDMAGE/WILDMAGE.TP2~ #0 #0 // New Wild Magic Spells -> Ironman: v2.beta3

~WILDMAGE/WILDMAGE.TP2~ #0 #2 // Retain Rhialto's items: v2.beta3
~WILDMAGE/WILDMAGE.TP2~ #0 #5 // Misc spell modifications: v2.beta3

@The imp 

Imp, I know you are a little deluded by what I wrote. The issue is just that the procedure to troubleshoot is long and should be one clicks, not 300 clicks that who knows if they'll get appreciated. The fact that the bug is still there after how many years doesn't exactly compel me to install the mod once again and, in this playthrough, to actually troubleshoot it.
Especially because all it was needed to do was just add a spell that actually turned him into a squirrel and be done with it, not using the wild surge part of it to actually make the thing happen.

Or maybe just use a fake name for a spell that turns him into a squirrel, while linking it to the "wild surge" so players don't feel robbed of their immersion

Edited by Sergio, 28 April 2019 - 09:42 PM.

#14 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:56 AM

Tried to open near infinity but I see it's a .jar file and as such it probably means that I have to mess things with and honestly I do not have the will to do it

Thanks anyway

#15 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:10 PM

Tried to open near infinity but I see it's a .jar file and as such it probably means that I have to mess things with and honestly I do not have the will to do it.

NearInfinity relies on having Java installed.

Especially because all it was needed to do was just add a spell that actually turned him into a squirrel and be done with it, not using the wild surge part of it to actually make the thing happen.

Or maybe just use a fake name for a spell that turns him into a squirrel, while linking it to the "wild surge" so players don't feel robbed of their immersion.

Sergio, I'm sorry the bug is still there. This is one of my most-favorite mods. I'm sure if it got more exposure, some bright modders would determine the cause of the problem and remedy. Some day...

When I get back to playing ('some day...'), I'll do some test runs, and help whoever is still supporting it track down the bug.

IMHO-- I love that a wild surge is the saving grace to beating the fight, particularly when you're just out of Candlekeep -- at Level 1-3, how else to defeat Rhialto the Marvelous (other than with cheese)?!

Consider JOG's premise for the mod: "(wild) magic is incredible powerful and also incredible dangerous for the caster as much as for his foes"

http://forums.pocket...p?topic=20712.0

I always imagined/RP'd that Rhialto the Marvelous is really Rhialto the Mad: he loves Wild Magic, despite its inherent dangers, so much so that he purposely does not use Chaos Shield to protect himself. He's probably so deluded that he's all-powerful, because he's reached his high level and hasn't been morphed.

(Personally, when I do play again, I'm gonna turn off the thingy that makes the fourth spell morph him. I wanna see how a fight goes waiting for that 5% surge. Yes, madness!)

Don't you agree, that's Immersion!

Edited by Azazello, 29 April 2019 - 02:55 PM.

#16 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:12 PM

Yeah, Near Infinity is a Java using file(.jar), just like the description here, and there tells you, you just need to open it with a computer that has a Java runtime installed on it. You clearly have not done what I asked to, and read my FAQ, as the first link is from it. 

Imp, I know you are a little deluded by what I wrote. The issue is just that the procedure to troubleshoot is long and should be one clicks, not 300 clicks that who knows if they'll get appreciated.

All the -substracted- ri89ght then: Let's presume you have a install that has this mod...

Run this "wildmage-log.bat" in your game folder that needs to contain an instance of weidu.exe in it, that's all it needs with the file nad the folder inside the archive.

Attached File  wildmage.zip   1.04K   157 downloads

Then run the game and start a new game with Wildmage character, exit the Candlekeep and face Rhialto... run away and follow what the dialog box says, the SPACE button is your friend here, and write it down to a post... your charactername will tell what Rhialto is doing so, so when he will stop to tell you the debug info, you need to re-make it to run away... but you shouldn't need to do it for very long time... as he should only get to do 3 things... but say 15 would be nice to know...

And then you can uninstall the wildmage-log mod I just auto installed... and look at the change-log1.txt and ..2.txt's the install made in to the "mod" folder.

Edited by The Imp, 29 April 2019 - 02:25 PM.

#17 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:50 AM

okay, your mod worked because there were "dialogue" entries above the character when I faced him, but the changelog doesn't seem to have worked.

But the changelogs we got are useless:

[changelog 1]

[WeiDU.exe] WeiDU version 24600

%MOD_FOLDER%/tra/english/text.tra file not found. Skipping...

%MOD_FOLDER%/tra/english/setup.tra file not found. Skipping...

ERROR: No translation provided for @60

Continuing despite error.

ERROR: No translation provided for @1

weidu_external/lang/english/setup.tra file not found. Skipping...

[changelog 2]

[WeiDU.exe] WeiDU version 24600

%MOD_FOLDER%/tra/english/text.tra file not found. Skipping...

%MOD_FOLDER%/tra/english/setup.tra file not found. Skipping...

ERROR: No translation provided for @60

ERROR: No translation provided for @1

Also.. some new .cre files appeared in my folder in the one where bg.exe resides. Namely:

WM_RHIA1.00001
to
WM_RHIA1.00007

Seven files.

Edited by Sergio, 30 April 2019 - 03:51 AM.

#18 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:48 AM

okay...

Also.. some new .cre files appeared in my folder in the one where bg.exe resides. Namely:

WM_RHIA1.00001
to
WM_RHIA1.00007

Seven files.

Yeah, so there's seven mod that modify the .cre file... those 7 files are the backups from those mods. This is intentional for the --change-log process. As one  can use any one of those as a alternative to check if it works rather than the one in their current game, you just need to copy it into the override folder ... named without the .0000x. in the file name. And start the game...

This was the first imp- lick of the both tools in one go.  Next time I'll check a few more things before I'll make my next lick. The .bat command lurged, aka it did it's job, but because the weidu.exe has new features, it errors. Next lick will have better... and I'll make the mod install before the --change-log's too. :doh:

But that next lick will take a bit of time to do. See my tongue hurts from all this -retracted-.

#19 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:39 PM

it was amazing though.

Do you think we will be able to detect the issue successfully?

#20 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:48 PM

Don't ask me how or why, but I found a changelog file that couldn't be opened unless I changed it to the format .txt and these are the files touching Rhialto

Mods affecting WM_RHIA1.BCS:

00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~WILDMAGE/WILDMAGE.TP2~ 0 0 // UNDEFINED STRING:   @1UNDEFINED STRING:   @60v2.beta3

00001:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components)v32 RC9

00002:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 6000 // Smarter general AIv32 RC9

00003:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 6010 // Better calls for helpv32 RC9

00004:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 6030 // Smarter Magesv32 RC9

00005:  ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ 0 6100 // Potions for NPCsv32 RC9

00006:  ~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ 0 9 // Revised ThieveryUse PnP thievery potions and prevent their effects from stackingv4.92

00007:  ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ 0 160 // PnP Undeadv4.53

Edit:
can you tell me why the file I'm using to changelog can't get the entries inside the folder, but actually uses a file that is in the same folder as baldur.exe, when it works?

A better file should be conceived, I can't waste time actually trying to detect why it wouldn't work...

Edit 2: the second archive you posted here works....

http://www.shsforums...amods/?p=504049

Delete the first part...

zip.gif  change-log.zip   880.7K   31 downloads : This version only works on a x86 64 bit system, if you don't have that, DO NOT EXTRACT the archives weidu.exe into your game folder, this will break the logging process and you won't have the .txt that's essential to the process. You can make that by copying any of the other setup-modname.exe's you should have in the game folder by now, and pasting it there and thus getting a second version with a (1) in the file name, and renaming it as weidu.exe . Or if you have one already, just use this:

This one doesn't work at all. The second archive is perfect!

Edited by Sergio, 01 May 2019 - 12:01 AM.