Reviews

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#101 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:07 AM

Jan’s extended quests: -> try it; I doubt I will be installing it again

Story: After you’ve done Jan’s personal quest (https://baldursgate....n_Summoned_Home) , you are informed by a messenger that Lissa and Jaella are not feeling too well. You are brought to the temple where Jan asks you to ruin Vaelag once and for all. To do that, you play two quests (spoiler already):

Spoiler

Review:
I liked the quests, but I still won’t install the mod anymore. There are several points worth analyzing:
Spoiler

Edited by Sergio, 18 November 2019 - 11:03 AM.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#102 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:21 AM

Questpack Alternative Harper plot -> Try it. But in my case I won’t install this anymore

Story: This component gives you the chance to save Xzar from the harper’s plot.

Spoiler

I don’t think I’ll be installing this component again.

Edited by Sergio, 18 November 2019 - 11:25 AM.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#103 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:25 AM

Questpack Component – a new fate for dryad acorns [BG2] – Try it, but in my case I won’t install this component anymore.

[story]

Spoiler

So, why didn’t I enjoy the mod?

Spoiler

Edited by Sergio, 18 November 2019 - 11:25 AM.

#104 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:25 AM

Questpack component - Additional Shadow Thieves Content -> I won’t install it anymore

Readme: <<this component expands on the existing quests focusing around the Shadow Thieves. It can be divided into a number of sections:

The player may now side with Mae'Var instead of Renal when assigned to infiltrate his guild. In the true spirit of thieves, this component allows the player to double-cross his allies time after time, although not without consequence. To begin this path, the player must take the initiative and tell Mae'Var of Renal's mission after gaining his trust.

There is now a mission to eliminate Aran Linvail and his guild on the behalf of Brega in chapter 6. The player will find himself fighting his way through the Shadow Thief lair alongside city guards. This component will begin automatically in chapter 6 for any player who does not have the thief stronghold and has not sided with Mae'Var, assuming Aran is still alive; a messenger should demand your attention.

It is now possible to complete Edwin's quests without killing Rayic Gethras: you may instead trick Edwin into thinking Rayic is dead. New dialogue options should become apparent upon speaking to Rayic.

A quest is introduced centering around the torturer, Booter. (Ghrey IM.) If spoken to repeatedly, he will divulge information about his victims, and a cunning player may be able to utilise some of these details>>.

My notes:

Spoiler

I didn't enjoy this component.  Add on top of that that if you install this component you are bound not to install Npc Strongholds (see here: https://www.gibberli...-compatibility/) so that’s another reason to not install it.

Edited by Sergio, 18 November 2019 - 11:27 AM.

#105 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:26 AM

Questpack – infernal thievery -> I will not install this component anymore

Spoiler

Edited by Sergio, 18 November 2019 - 11:26 AM.

#106 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:28 AM

Questpack - Rahul Kanakia's Potion Quest - I won’t install this component anymore.

Spoiler

#107 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:29 AM

Questpack - Burglary Of The Bookkeeper. - Ok component. Won't reinstall it again.

Spoiler

Questpack - The Tragedy Of Besamen. I didn’t enjoy this component

Spoiler

Questpack – Extended Reynald sequence. I didn’t enjoy this component

Spoiler

Questpack - Miscellaneous Enhancements – I don’t care at all about what this component adds

Readme:

Spoiler

Notes
Spoiler

Questpack - Saving Sanik In Brynnlaw + sending the solamnic knights home. - won't install them

I don’t care very much about the first component, while I may be more prone to installing the second, maybe. Or maybe not.

Edited by Sergio, 13 January 2020 - 03:33 AM.

#108 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:32 AM

Questpack - Intrigue In The Copper Coronet – I didn’t enjoy this component

Readme here: http://www.pocketpla...=128&Itemid=100

Notes:

Spoiler

I truly don’t care about this component.

Edited by Sergio, 18 November 2019 - 11:52 PM.

#109 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:37 AM

Questpack – further slaver involvement – I didn’t enjoy the quest the current way it is executed. Could be worth a look if it will ever be fixed.

Spoiler

Edited by Sergio, 18 November 2019 - 11:51 PM.

#110 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:51 AM

Added some considerations about questpack revised hell trials. The mod is not a must anymore to me. See here: http://www.shsforums...views/?p=607038

Ariena mod -> I didn’t enjoy the mod

I’ve played the version by Roxanne for EEhttps://baldursexten...-EET-Updates-4/

This mod felt to me really unrefined,  especially because I had many technical issues

1) I had issues concerning the party that is supposed to “ambush” you by waiting for you, simply because many times the boss that is supposed to speak with Ariena failed to spawn. Or got stuck somewhere. Is it mod's fault or pathfinding's fault due to EE? I don't know.

2) You do the personal quest for Ariena and the irony is that simply choosing the wrong dialogue path, even if the dialogue path doesn’t differ very much actually brings you to different “endings” to the whole dialogue. This makes you miss part of the quest content without any “real” reward.
- One path makes mother and daughter be kinda neutral to each other
- The other makes it possible to redeem Ariena/leave her evil
But unless the player knows that, mod author is trusting the chance to make the player enjoy his content.

Note: See here: https://ibb.co/GHT9CW1. In the case you play Ariena, choose option 6). I chose option 5 and actually "only" tested option 6 because I read Roxanne's whereabouts in her forum

After having these "problems" I just can't be bothered anymore to play Ariena.

Sorry.

Edited by Sergio, 20 November 2019 - 12:54 AM.

#111 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 03:20 AM

Freedom + reign of virtue – I didn’t enjoy it

Readme

Spoiler

My first gripe: I think that the mod should be modular, with the possibility for the player to install what he wants.  

Now, I will not review the itemization. I will just review the encounters. 

First Encounter

Spoiler

Second encounter

Spoiler

Unrelated note: right after this encounter (the guy speaks to you as soon as you go near him, and he is near Saradush's prison) I went into Saradush Tavern: there is a guy, named Ted Bracket that has some items. Checked just one (abyssal fury) and it had wrong icon: flail instead of sword.

Also, the description seems to make a reference to the weapon itself “to work against its own wielder, with strange demonic suggestions that can put the wielder off for a few short second”. But... the statistics make no reference to such an event happening.

Another encounter... happens in Amkethran

Spoiler

Another encounter happens in Abazigal’s entrance with Bob the cleric
Spoiler

I can’t bear myself to keep playing this mod.
I didn’t enjoy it and I don’t feel like continuing to play it.

Edited by Sergio, 30 November 2019 - 03:32 AM.

#112 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 03:28 AM

Au Service D’oghma -> Try it. For me it’s not that interesting.

Story: there is a new priest inside the temple of Oghma, whom you can speak to. He is looking for books\scrolls and whatever is rare. You can bring him three items, that you find during your travels (note: I’m going to spoil also the reward for bringing him these items):

Spoiler

Is that interesting for you?  If the answer is yes, go for it. Otherwise...

Edited by Sergio, 30 November 2019 - 04:56 AM.

#113 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:20 AM

Questpack – area improvements component - I won't install anymore this component

Readme:

The area changes are as follows:

The beholder lair in the Underdark responds to difficulty, with changes to beholder placement and creature addition as a result.

The arbitrary summoning mish-mash on the bottom floor of the Guarded Compound is replaced by a more appropriate encounter.

The lair of the Twisted Rune is better protected, and its guardians behave more sensibly.

An array of ambushes may now take place in the North Forest.

Personal considerations:

Spoiler

Anyway, I tried to check the components on my playthrough and this is what I witnessed:

Spoiler

I didn’t enjoy this component and I will not install it anymore.

Edited by Sergio, 07 December 2019 - 10:17 AM.

#114 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 08:34 AM

Bg1 – Unfinished Bussiness

First, some considerations.

Spoiler

And now back to the reviews.

The Mysterious Vial -> not recommended. Won’t install it anymore.

Spoiler

Ice Island Level Two Restoration -> not recommended. Won’t install anymore.

Spoiler

Finishable Kagain caravan quest – won’t install it anymore.

Spoiler

5. Coran and the Wyverns -> won’t install it anymore. A bugfix (supposedly redudant with BGT/EE) and a cosmetic tweak (that makes sense, but it’s far from essential to me).

Spoiler

6. Kivan and Tazok -> Won’t install it anymore

Spoiler

7. Branwen and Tranzig -> I won’t install it anymore.

In reality, I feel like this component is better executed in EE rather than UB. I would install it if the dialogues were those from EE.

Spoiler

9. Appropriate Albert and Rufie Reward -> if you use BGT or EE I think it is now redundant.  The change is up to the player.

Spoiler

10. Place Entar Silvershield in His Home: I won’t install it anymore.
His appearance opens some oddities: you can kill him, but he is targeted later by Slythe and Kristin. Better not to mess with important characters that didn’t appear before for consistency reason (that reason being avoiding <charname> to kill him.

11. Scar and the Sashenstar's Daughter: won’t install anymore.

This component expands Scar’s quest a bit. You are asked to bring the body of the Sashenstar’s daughter together with the ring.  I guess if you find it reasonable you can add it.

12. Quoningar the cleric -> Won’t install anymore
Quoningar is located in Three Old Kegs. This is a fetch quest. If you like fetch quest, then this is for you. You have to bring him a potion of mind focusing. Your reward will be a +2 warhammer and 500 experience.

13. shilo chen -> won’t install anymore.
Shilo Chen is in the Elfsong tavern, first floor. I didn’t absolutely enjoy this piece of content: Shilo chen gives charname a quest to clean some ogre magi in wood of the sharp teeth.
- This quest is a clone of the quest you are given by the paladin in Beregost (the one where you have to kill half-ogres). Not that interesting.
-  I would search for a more meaningful spot for Shilo Chen so one can take the quest before going into the forest, rather than making the player go back.
- Why are these directions so bad? The ogres are in peldvale.
- Also... how does he know the ogre magi is still there. And how do you know there is an ogre magi there at all?  You are also sending random adventurers to take care of him. I would sense treachery – if this was not a mini-quest.
- I would make the ogre spawn as soon a you enter the place, rather than having the player to first get the quest, then to go back to the area just to check for them.

14. Edie, the Merchant League Applicant -> won’t install anymore
Another fetch quest.

15. Flaming fist mercenary reinforcements. Won’t install it anymore. I didn’t notice a problem to justify installing this.

28. Prism and the emerald tweak -> won’t install it anymore. Try it.

Spoiler

29. Duke Eltan in the Harbor Master’s building -> I won’t install it anymore.

Spoiler

30. Num furlwing -> ok component. Won’t install it anymore
You find a ranger that asks for your help while he is fighting some dogs in Larswood. Far from essential, I must say.

32. Svlast the fallen paladin -> meh.

Spoiler

33. Mal Kalen - I won't reinstall it anymore

Spoiler

34. Chapter 6 dialogue restoration -> Try this component. It makes sense but it shows some limits, so I will avoid installing it.

Spoiler

Edited by Sergio, 20 January 2020 - 11:24 AM.

#115 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 08:49 AM

Your reviews are still very interesting to me.

But, in the case of BG1UB and UB (that could be named BG2UB), i read somewhere (so long ago...) that some components have been suggested by the original developers themselves because they had not the time to be finished...

But, anyway, you don't have to like them :)

edit : I don't know if it explains that some made their way to EE.

Edited by Fouinto, 08 December 2019 - 08:53 AM.

#116 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:07 AM

Unfinished Bussiness for Baldur’s gate 2

First, some considerations, different from the one I already shared for BG1.

Spoiler

The kidnapping of Boo –-> Will considering reinstalling it.

Spoiler

The Suna Seni/Valygar Relationship. ---> Won’t reinstall anymore.
The reasons are thoughtfully explained by Jastey here: http://forums.pocket...ic,29746.0.html

Kalah and what was promised. --->  I won’t reinstall it but I suggest to try it.

Spoiler

Cat and Mouse: Bodhi Hunts You in Spellhold, by Ghreyfain -> Won’t reinstall it. Try it, I guess.
I feel like changing a detail such as this one is a big no, but your opinion may differ.

Gorje Hilldark and the Extended Illithium Quest -> Won’t reinstall it.
I find the ilithium quest already boring. The added research doesn’t make me exactly excited.

The Pai'Na/Spider's Bane Quest: I won’t reinstall it.

Spoiler

Restored Crooked Crane -> I won’t reinstall it. Try it.
If you care about what happens to the couple upstairs, you should add this mod. If like me, you don’t care, like I do, just skip it.

Restored encounters – I won’t reinstall it

Spoiler

Artemis Entreri in Bodhi lair -> I won’t install anymore this component.
I don’t like very much Drizzt forced appearances and I don’t care either about Artemis entreri enough to have him in my game.

Corrected "Xzar's Creations" - – I won’t install it anymore.
Readme: When you enter Prebek's home (Xzar's laboratory), you are greeted by several goblins. Originally, however, it seems that, as a necromancer, you should be faced with two ghasts and a flesh golem. So be it...

My idea: why change something that isn’t broken to begin with.

K. Restored Hell Minions, by SimDing0 -> I like this component, but you may not care about it.

Spoiler

Gorf the Squisher Fix – deprecated

Item restoration – I don’t care about items. That’s a list

Spoiler

Yoshimo and Anomen original portrait – I don’t care about them.

Corrected BAMs and scripts + Corrected Character Names. If there was something to correct to begin with, that is done by BG2 Fixpack or by Enhanced Editions.

Restored Minor dialogues. -> I will not reinstall it.

Spoiler

Restored Bhaalspawn Powers, by David Gaider – A great component.
Readme: "These are some extra Bhaalspawn abilities that the player was originally going to develop as he played out the challenges in the pocket plane, but they were cut in favor of the high-level abilities for all classes. There is a different set for good and evil, although many players are going to find that they get a mix of them. Perhaps the only negative is that it may be difficult to figure out what a couple of the powers do, as there is no way to get descriptions for special abilities (These can be found in the readme). For installation and uninstallation instructions view the readme."

The murder of Acton Balthis -> Try it, but I won’t reinstall it

Spoiler

Sarevok Remorse. --> I won’t reinstall it again.

Spoiler

Edited by Sergio, 30 December 2019 - 07:54 AM.

#117 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:56 AM

Spoiler

As far as I can see it definitely is. The Ajantis mod does not change the original scene.

#118 ckoe

ckoe
  • Validating
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:47 AM

Small comment to Pai'Na. If this web page  contains the information from her original creature file then the modification by unfinished business makes more sense. According to this she is a

Spoiler

Because of that I actually find the change quite nice. I never noticed the logical problem with revealing plot points. On the other hand, she basically lives next doors and might know a bit about the neighbourhood ?

#119 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:01 PM

@Jastey: thank you for the clarification

@Ckoe:

- Maybe I explained myself badly: when you begin the game, no one blocks you from actually going into the cemetery and exploring the lower area, including Pai'na hideout. But when you talk to her, you can mention Bodhi to her , even if you never ever met Bodhi before. That's the "issue" I was referring to...

- For your pai'na related comment: okay, she was a true neutral drow. You are still entering his sanctuary after having possibly (?) murdered all the spiders around. And why would she treat you differently from the peasants that he is currently feeding to the spiders? That's her comment: "[...] It is the murderers of these fine beasts that are insane. Even as we speak these creatures are hunted down [...]".  

Edited by Sergio, 14 December 2019 - 12:58 AM.

#120 ckoe

ckoe
  • Validating
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 03:07 AM

In Neeras voice: "half-drow !" :-)

Perhaps because she sees that the PC has the potential to re-acquire spiders bane and is a dangerous foe on top

(while the common folk are not) ? She is certainly not a "good" character, but that does not mean suicidal. I hate that

in the original game the only thing you can do is kill her. Without any context or explanation why she is there in the

graveyard and does what she does. Spiders are of course typically drow, but breeding them under a human city ?

That is interesting and uncommon, Pai'Na is not your typical trash mob ? A missed story and the change fits in my

opinion. There are enough obvious dangling plot hooks left (rune, mind flayers) which cannot be "solved" by a small

modification.

I would agree this is still a bit weak an argument as the original game does not give you any real clue. You probably

really have to check the cre file and then have to retcon something.

Surely a matter of taste. I think this thread is a nice read and thank you for it.